86 VFR700F Retool or therapy or both

tsmitty

• Member Contributer

Cap. have you played around with that piece of fabric I sent you? the reason I asked is one of your in-fills; the left lower mount screw well is disintegrating at the bottom. Both the top and bottom screw locations have been epoxied. Well I'm thinking of that cloth material, it bonds so well to that abs plastic. I'll get some pics tomorrow, I know my description is pretty weak. 

• Member Contributer

I know exactly what you're talking about.  That epoxy job was a "oh shit, I need this done right now for tomorrow" job, always meant to be revisited and correctly redone.  The epoxy was the right stuff, just no reinforcement plan in the moment.  Was just trying to keep the pieces from literally falling apart.  The fact that it lasted this long is pretty remarkable.  That plastic and that epoxy are perfect mates.

I think that "fabric" is a good application for those areas.  I was even planning on making some plastic "donuts" to go around the mounts on the back side for additional strength.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I was even planning on making some plastic "donuts" to go around the mounts on the back side for additional strength.

The stuff won't adhere to any epoxy. But still a great idea.

This is what I guess would be plan 1... 

untitledshoot-1443.thumb.jpg.b227d6ceb6789a8a7ea73a270161874c.jpguntitledshoot-1442.thumb.jpg.ea710f5fedc7a875bc6f1181edba53d4.jpguntitledshoot-1441.thumb.jpg.c5f7f268cece47e2de70a465ab6b6dd8.jpguntitledshoot-1440.thumb.jpg.21861d002ce0f35fbb071fb29995541a.jpg

This is what I was thinking; I have some ABS sheet. ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJDKZWDF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

Making a new counterbore bottom, using the cloth as double sided sticky, then filling the back with more sandwiched abs and that plastic repair powder. Cant remember the name right now...Plastex or something.

image.thumb.jpeg.a33a9db30b74eea1bfe4d618359967ba.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5e7090baf39319b373ea88e577e6fd8d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f264404ae2f34f84ac5ec06acb66771b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a03cb35792bd0d3c240d51a530eb0c90.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1f3066fbe6c08fbd9d40f2b1e67387b2.jpeg

untitledshoot-1454.thumb.jpg.e7f0063ba3cfd854b7ce9dae68ef9c6e.jpguntitledshoot-1453.thumb.jpg.38e0faf2e55dc0404ea1881ef1d5fbd4.jpguntitledshoot-1452.thumb.jpg.03bf794dfb592ee7fc2ddd086ff6df95.jpguntitledshoot-1451.thumb.jpg.aaacc3891310dd7648b358525c67b6f4.jpg

The con's of this would be loss of counterbore depth. The "shoulder screws" would need spacers to make up for the thickness change so the pretty infill still floats... 🙂

The pro's are top ascetics around the screw (hope) new pliable plastic to float around that shoulder screw.

Whats your thoughts?

I was thinking drilling thru the tube and the side of the gauge mount bracket as is right there, small bolt and nut, conical washer. The tube would be so much more sturdy or rigid not smushed down there. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

So my son Jay calls me up and says "the bikes dead, it acted like it was out of gas so I turned on the pump switch and that helped for a while then it ran out of fuel, dead"! Well the repair vehicle (me) with the I'll fitting, extremely loud back up pump to the rescue with success! What frustrates me is, the flipping thing was brand new, not 10 miles on it!

Is there a distributer that carries decent fuel pumps or am I rolling the dice on ebay again??

Thanks...

• Member Contributer

You put a Chinese $10 one in it? 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, tsmitty said:

So my son Jay calls me up and says "the bikes dead, it acted like it was out of gas so I turned on the pump switch and that helped for a while then it ran out of fuel, dead"! Well the repair vehicle (me) with the I'll fitting, extremely loud back up pump to the rescue with success! What frustrates me is, the flipping thing was brand new, not 10 miles on it!

Is there a distributer that carries decent fuel pumps or am I rolling the dice on ebay again??

Thanks...

What was it?  Generic?

You're gonna want to work on adapting a straight inlet/outlet style pump to gain some selection.  

Look at the attached K&L Pump application chart.  I look for used genuine Mitsubishi pumps of the 18-5529 style on eBay.  I find the newest, lowest mile one that has a return policy.  I have done this about 7 times now and have only got one dud.  They instantly refunded me and didn't want want the pump back, so I got a good amount of formed fuel line and clamps for free.

All the other pumps have worked perfect.  The last one I got was from a YZF600, had 14K miles on it and looked brand new.  $30 shipped.  Pump.jpg.b92e79b356ee26099dbbbc0b6802e6a3.jpg

You can also buy a new K&L or TourMax pump (both genuine Mistsu) but they are not cheap.

K&L_Fuel_Pumps.pdf

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, bmart said:

You put a Chinese $10 one in it? 

I did...😔

8 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I look for used genuine Mitsubishi pumps of the 18-5529 style on eBay.

Thanks, I'll do that. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Thanks again Captain, I spent some time this morning web shopping and will see what Jay wants to do, he got the cash, my budget was blown on that tail cowl from sixdog, hell I'm selling shit off no-a-days! haha Don't regret buying that tail cowl one bit though...that piece is so pretty!

I saw some new Mitsubishi pumps you mentioned as well...it wouldn't hurt me if Jay wanted to go that route too...

• Member Contributer

Still asking about the Chinese ones. 

I've used a bunch of different ones to rebuild the track bike fuel pumps and the CB-1. The cheap chinese ones don't last very long and do not work consistently. There are Japanese ones available also. Those have worked well for me on the track bikes. For the CB-1, I eventually ended up with a Honda one from another bike and just swapped the connector. 

Being stuck on the side of the road with a "new" pump sucks... At least with the old ones (carbs) you can usually knock them with something and they work a while longer, enough to get you home or to a destination. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, bmart said:

Still asking about the Chinese ones. 

Yes it was a 30 dollar made in china sold in US and it still took a month to get here. I thought...how can china fuck up a fuel pump! 

Well I'll be looking while Jay decides how he wants to go, I did encourage a new mitsubishi or D&L as the Captain mentioned as an option.

I would love to have some lucky fucker to just get on her and go for a day or two without a chase vehicle... 

But, on a positive note, slowly the bike is getting sorted out as best I can, it only has about 25 or so miles sense her rebirth last fall, unfortunately I can only account for about a mile of that. 

• Member Contributer

I pulled the trigger on the YZF pump. Thanks for your help looking Captain.

I would love to talk Jay into riding the bike to Vintage Days at Mid Ohio this year. She's not a show piece but she aint no slouch. 😉

• Member Contributer

Like I said, you're gonna have to get a little creative getting the lines turned to go up and over the coolant tank.  I've used some brass 90 deg fittings on some other bikes where I created room for the extra length coming out of the pump.  Small section of fuel line with the fittings butted right up to the pump spigots,

Some others have cut the fuel pump spigots short and eliminated the bead.  I haven't had to resort to that.

• Like 1