how often by miles or time should the oem front forks be serviced?

VifferJ

• Member Contributer

Anyone know what the recommended frequency to service the front forks is, I'm not finding it in the manual? I've only got 10k miles on my gen8 but being its a 2014 should the fluid be changed?

• Member Contributer

My suspension fella says 30,000km or 5 years whichever comes first for road bikes.

Race or track bikes he does every 6 months to a year respectively.

• Member Contributer

Mine said around 25k miles, but it depends on how you ride etc. 

If in doubt, get it serviced, best money you can spend on a bike imo. 

• Member Contributer

Fork fluid doesn't go back over time. If you're making mods anyway, I'd replace. If not, I'd run it!

• Member Contributer

Based on my spirited backroads riding experience, I change the fork oil every 6k miles or every 2 seasons. It makes a noticeable difference. 

Same goes for brake fluid. Just my 2 cents.

Back in the day, the routine was fork oil and brake fluid change at the start of every season. Unfortunately, I do not ride as hard as as often as I used to.

• Member Contributer

If you're lazy, you can remove, dump fluid, flush with something, then refill and keep going. They rarely seem to leak on street bikes if they're kept clean. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the inputs, much appreciated!

I just recently purchased a new to me Ohlins rear shock and looking to get that serviced up and swapped out soon, the oem front forks don't necessarily feel bad but I'm sure I've just gotten use to any deficiency in them over time that the new Ohlins rear might now make more noticeable in a negative way. Being a 9 year old bike/fluid now I think I'll just get the oem forks serviced at the same time as the Ohlins rear shock service and install and be good to go without worry.  

Archived