5th gen plastics help

Ughandi

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, RossR said:

Hornet? No! No! No!

This is the Hornet.

https://canadamotoguide.com/2022/06/07/coming-soon-a-new-honda-hornet/

Please post pics once your bike is up and running. Glad to hear that fairings will be on the way for you soon.

A proper Hornet needs to have at least 3 cylinder, better 4, otherwise forget it! I have a '06 Hornet and love it (I switch between the Hornet and the 4th gen every other day) The Hornet is nicely rideable from 4000 rpm Annd turns into a angry Hornet above 8000 rpm!

The biggest problem is the budget suspension. BTW, it is made in Italy

• Member Contributer

Too much is going cheap with parallel twins today and in the foreseeable future. I can't imagine my CB-1 as a parallel twin or big single. The R7 is a joke in comparison to its namesake. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/30/2022 at 8:05 AM, RossR said:

This is the Hornet.

I get that comment frequently at meets... It juuuuust a name lol

Yes! Very exciting that they will bring back the Hornet model! 

I shall... Plastics will be ready imminently. Currently fighting a non-start issue. likely been sitting too long and the gas got gummy somewhere. ( still fires up on starter fluid.) 

• Member Contributer
On 9/30/2022 at 7:30 PM, bmart said:

Too much is going cheap with parallel twins today

there are benefits... packaging, manufacturing costs, fuel efficiency....

KTM 890 is an example of a beastly P-twin ... R7 is a tragedy, I agree.

• Member Contributer

For any given capacity a twin should be cheaper and lighter than an i-4, and put out more torque but less hp. On the road those all sound like attributes that I would value. 

Lest we forget, the first VF750F had a power output of 86 hp, 46 ft-lb torque and a wet weight around 250kg. The new Hornet has a claimed 90.6 hp 55 ft-lb torque and 190 kg wet weight. I don't recall my old VF750F as being in any way slow. 

Personally I like the new Hornet styling, and the white on red colour scheme reminds me a lot of a VT250F that I lusted over as a young rider. 

• Member Contributer

I remember when parallel twins were shitty and LOL no, except for some niche things like the Ninja 250, which was still "cheap bike" territory with a disposable engine (which I have done).  Now they don't appear to be bad and sit in a sweet spot for the majority of riders if they're being honest with themselves.  Nearly everyone here would find them gross because we're riding more sophisticated things in every way.  But I see fewer and fewer sport bikes on the street every year and dual sports and adventure bikes seem to be the hottest ticket in town, even if they were absurdly fugly things fifteen years ago.

If my VFR died I would find another one before I went to anything parallel twin street-ish.  The Hornet wouldn't do it for me.  But I'd really like an Africa Twin or a KTM Adventure 890 R.

• Member Contributer

You're not wrong. I hated nearly every parallel twin I've ever ridden. I rode the MT-07 which was a lovely engine, but the bike had some other issues. I think that they've fixed those with the newer version. R7 is beautiful, but I'm not convinced yet...

In my head I'd want this. 

2020-Kawasaki-ZX-25R-900x600.jpg

In reality, I'd end up with this. It is ereally ugly, but lovely to ride. 

4f335be9-48e4-4f8f-a24c-78cf60f9003d.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/10/2022 at 2:16 PM, ShipFixer said:

But I see fewer and fewer sport bikes on the street every year and dual sports and adventure bikes seem to be the hottest ticket in town

I second this. 

Lots of naked's and british bikes here in San Diego these days.

• Member Contributer

And now since I have properly hijacked my own thread... let's bring 'er home

I bring to you ladies and gents...

Fiberglass 5th Gen Fairings!

Feast your eyes:
(dont mind the wacky aspect ratios... I'm snipping these from my instagram.)
image.png.53c5ccadc9b26b80b498316514580432.png

image.png.161d8c8c027e8a2629e5608bc223ae7b.pngimage.png.7306e818c2cf05d0d2a9b428e24639cd.png

They are much less flimsy than the OE ABS duds. Weight is comparable if not a hair lighter.
Thank you Air-Tech Streamlining for the new lease on life for this bike. 

...And thank you to @RossR for pointing me their way!

Now to finish that Coil-on-plug conversion, and get these bad boys fitted!!! 🥳

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/20/2022 at 10:24 PM, Ughandi said:

And now since I have properly hijacked my own thread... let's bring 'er home

I bring to you ladies and gents...

Fiberglass 5th Gen Fairings!

Feast your eyes:
(dont mind the wacky aspect ratios... I'm snipping these from my instagram.)
image.png.53c5ccadc9b26b80b498316514580432.png

image.png.161d8c8c027e8a2629e5608bc223ae7b.pngimage.png.7306e818c2cf05d0d2a9b428e24639cd.png

They are much less flimsy than the OE ABS duds. Weight is comparable if not a hair lighter.
Thank you Air-Tech Streamlining for the new lease on life for this bike. 

...And thank you to @RossR for pointing me their way!

Now to finish that Coil-on-plug conversion, and get these bad boys fitted!!! 🥳

Hi Ughandi, 

Somehow I did not get an email alert for your post.  Glad to have been of help. Many others on this great forum have done the same for me.  How about some pics of the fairings on your bike?

Ross

Yeah would like to understand fitment of those. I have some chinese fairings and..... yeeeeeeeesh, just don't bother (though the whole kit to my door was $390 and painted)

• Member Contributer

Been shuffling through life lately, and have since moved to Houston for a new job, so bike things have been on hold, including getting these bespoke fiberglass fairings attached.

I'll be back in the garage in the coming weeks, but I expect to have it all together this summer....

Will be back with an update here once I make significant progress!

TL; DR:
Nothing to report.

Archived