Air Pressure

vfral1

What pressures do you run in your street tires?

I've seen a lot of conflicting stuff regarding this issue on other websites, so I'd like to know what other VFR guys run.

Forgive me if this is akin to asking about oil.

How about just posting what you run; I'll start: 38psi front, 40 psi rear (cold).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I've seen a lot of conflicting stuff regarding this issue on other websites, so I'd like to know what other VFR guys run.

How about just posting what you run; I'll start: 38psi front, 40 psi rear (cold).

36/42 most of the time on the street.

I'm running 36/42 on Pilot Powers. I'm a big guy though. Target weight I would run slightly less pressure on the street. Perhaps 2psi less.

Still, currently 36/42 is working very well for me with the Michelins. Great grip for chicken strip free riding, and excellent mileage as well. It's like having my cake and eating it too.

I think It depends on whether or not you want Bent rims, 33psi and up seems fairly safe.

Looks like most folks are running 36 psi front on Pilots.

I've got BT020's, and weigh about 210; if I let the front pressure down to 36 psi, the front feels like it's plowing through turns. Any of you guys with BT020's experience that?

• Member Contributer
I've got BT020's, and weigh about 210; if I let the front pressure down to 36 psi, the front feels like it's plowing through turns. Any of you guys with BT020's experience that?

I run BT020's with 36/42... lately I have been putting 38-40 upfront which does help ease the steering, and reduce that annoying noise they seem to make after a few thousand miles.

• Member Contributer

36/42 for me on Powers and on my previous Z6's...I may try bumping the front to 38 to see how it feels.

• Member Contributer
I'm curious, what advantage is gained by running higher pressure in the rear?

Increased mileage. Lower pressure means greater heat and faster wear, but increased grip.

36/42 Pilot Powers. Too many straights between curves to make it worthwhile to run lower pressures for me.

I run plenty of curves. No chicken strips. 36/42. Pilot Powers are stuck. Only once did they break loose, and that was from romping the throttle coming out of a tight second gear corner. The tire lit up for a split second hooked up, front end came up about an inch, and that was it.

I see no need to reduce pressures on the street to improve grip with these tires. The tradeoff in mileage is not worth it. I'd be lucky to get 2000 miles out of a rear back when I ran lower pressures on tires that would act like you were riding on ice with 42psi on them. Now I get over 5,000 miles a rear with the Pilot Power. At that point the front is just about gone as well, having perhaps another 1,000 miles left on it. The first bike I had where tire wear was almost even. A sign of very good setup and well chosen rubber compounds.

• Member Contributer
I see no need to reduce pressures on the street to improve grip with these tires.

%201.gif

Wiht Powers at the factory recommended pressure I get all the grip required for far beyond sane street riding.

Archived