95 vfr750 piston cylinder damage

Erico

• Member Contributer

It can be done. I don't know for sure, but the stock sleeves are probably integral with the block. They would need to be bored out and new sleeves pressed in. How bad are yours? Maybe a big bore kit would clean them up.

• Member Contributer

Yeah unless you had plans for big-bore high-compression upgrade (why do stock rebuild?), much simpler, faster and cheaper to get used engine.

• Member Contributer

Depending on the amount of damage and where it is honing is a viable solution ...any photos?

Ive had really badly damaged bores welded and rebored by Abtec, they’re pricey, you don’t get through the door for less than £200

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Erico said:

Hi, no 4 piston sleeve is not so great, one guy said just hone it? But are they nikasil plated? And is it possible to just hone the sleeve.... TX so far for the info. 

IIRC all the 750's have iron cylinders & Honda do list over size pistons. So it is possible to overbore or hone to next oversize. 

Downside is the integrated cylinders mean you have to strip the whole engine to do the work. 

Replacement engine would be most cost effective unless you can do the spannering & as its in bits do a full refurb job. 

YMMV

• Member Contributer

Just find a lump and swap it in.  Rebuilding a VFR motor would cost more than the bike's worth!  Anyway, you pretty much can't sell a VFR motor as they rarely go bang, so if you do find one it can be cheap as chips.  Too bad you're not near me--I've got a lump with one snapped camshaft.  Just takes up space...

Ciao,

JZH

I have no idea what caused this. The other sleeves are all good. One mechanic suggested that we go ahead and hone this sleeve and replace rings. So the idea is to do both cylinders. Hopefully the engine will be out by the end of the weekend. 

• Member Contributer

That’s #4 cylinder, mice pee has done that where at some point the bikes been stood up, the lines correspond to the ring positions as the piss ran down 

Check the air filter and if there’s a nest you need to pull the carbs off and check #4 works and clean the debris out

I had a nest in my project RC24 that had corroded the throttle spindle and it was locked solid

Your advice is good a hone and new rings would be a quick fix

Archived