Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member Contributer

Big hello to all the American gang.

A buddy of mine lives in Spokane and was returning home from a visit to Kansas City. Sent me a photo from somewhere along this magnificent Hwy US 12 (south of Missoula) from Lolo and follows the Clearwater River to the west, what a gem. I did a bit of Google mapping to get some sort of feel for the road, I'm green with envy!

Got to be one of the best motorcycle roads, obviously built for VFR's! You guys are blessed with so many wonderful places to ride, don't take it for granted, just enjoy it. Look forward to hearing further comments about this road.

 

Cheers to you all, from my COVID lockdown State of Victoria Aus! Safe riding and keep healthy.:beer:

 

Here is his comments:

"US Highway 12 west of Missoula, Montana (Lolo Pass Highway).
Perfect road; no cops, no traffic, no stop signs, no cross roads; no billboards. Parallels the Clearwater River most of the way. Long sweepers, good sight lines.
You can ride the entire length without stopping, but the scenery just begs for you to stop now and then to “smell the roses”. 

Been back and forth on this road a few times; one of the best I know of."

 

image.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer

Been down that road many times.  It's a designated national scenic highway.  It's no exaggeration - 100 miles of nothing but bliss for a VFR pilot.

 

Funny story - in 2018 I was heading to Custer S.D. for the Summer VFR meet.  I had left Lewiston, ID heading East on this road and was just getting in to the heart of the great riding.  I glanced in the mirror to see 2 bikes well behind me.  For about 15 minutes they grew closer, from 2 points of headlight, finally to the point where I said to myself "I think one of those is a VFR".  Another few minutes they got closer still and I could see that one was a 5th gen and one a 6th gen.  They finally pulled up beside me and motioned to pull over, which I did.  The rider on the identical to mine 6th gen walked over and said "are you headed for Custer?"  I just cracked up under my helmet - what were the odds?  We rode on together over the pass and then split up for the next two days to meet up again at Custer!  :fing02:   Good times. 

 

To his comment about police, there does not seem to be very many, but they are out there.  I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with one, but they do have their hideouts.  The engineering on it is such that the sweepers can be taken at about any sane speed one wishes - you can really get leaned over.  There are literally hundreds of them linked together, all the while enjoying the river and scenery. I know of no other road anywhere that offers that much uninterrupted riding of that quality.

 

Regarding that photo, that's just very shortly past the Montana / Idaho border looking West.  If you zoom in on Google maps you'll see the border shown so you'll know exactly where that was taken.  Just behind the vantage point of the photographer is the Lolo Pass visitor center (bottom photo) at the pass summit (also the border).  It's a really nice facility.  If that photo was taken recently, the sign has either been replaced or cleaned - in 2018 it was absolutely plastered with stickers passerby had stuck to it - lots of Area 51 type of stuff - nothing mean or political.  Actually, that sign has changed since the 1st time I rode that road in 2006 on my 5th gen (photo below).  The road is the same, but someone later decided that there are 22 extra miles of twistys for us.  Either way, it is indeed a special place (even amongst places worldwide) and if possible every biker should ride it at least once. 

 

2006

image.png.07d43cd7cfaf4604cbda9dfcd3495739.png

 

2015 at Lolo Pass summit, about 1/2 mile east of the sign

image.png.39d71a3b56ac61997cccb79af41fa0d0.png

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer

Hi Cogswell.

Thanks for the insight. Incredible to see your photo at the same location, man those polished wheels of yours really look stunning.:fing02:

I can attest to his photo taken in the same spot within the last 48hrs, looks like the surface has been improved somewhat over the years.

Found the spot on Google maps, not the time of year to be riding! Nice story of your meeting up with VFR riders in Custer.

Cheers:fing02:

 

image.png

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer

Agree- those polished wheels look great. And what a wonderful road that must be to ride at speed!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great road!  In June, we took a social distancing circle central ID-tour-camping trip. We rode US-12 from the WA-ID border to Lolo MT. 

 

Clear directions from L and C. 🙂

Rt_12.thumb.JPG.650abfdb1eb48f724c0599c141ccb289.JPG

 

From Lolo we headed south toward Sun Valley ID. One of the over night stops was Stanley ID, where social distancing continued. 

808444362_StanleyID.thumb.jpg.fea7ce11fd5856a783b3f0aee72dabca.jpg

 

The next day's weather did not look good.  We crossed the Sawtooth Mountains concerned about snow.  Light rain did not start until after the summit.  Rt 21 (Ponderosa Pine Scenic Route) follows the Payette River.  Following a raging river snaking thru the mountains in light rain was a great experience as well.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer

Thanks all.  The polished wheels were on a dare from a friend.  There were 3 of us that used to ride together, one with a 900RR and the other a TLR.   The 900 owner had put some Performance Machine 3 spoke polished wheels on it.  I commented at a rest stop that the same polished look could be done with the Viffer's wheels.  The TLR owner jumped in, saying no - NO WAY can you do that.  I repeated, that yes, it could.  Again he stated that no, it wasn't possible.  That's all it took for me to call his hand.  I started DIY'ing it and rapidly found out that it is NOT a fun project and can be difficult to get a good result.  I tracked down a metal finisher in Seattle that does that for show cars and such - engine parts, etc.  I took the wheels to them and they said "$400".  Done!  The next time I got together with the TLR owner he about had to change his pants - he definitely ate crow that day!  :tongue:  If you want me to do something, just tell me that I can't . . .

 

Anyway - here's another random pick from 2015 about 35 miles west of the pass summit.  It's a good representation of the hundreds of sweepers on that road.  Some tighter, some less so - but the road and scenery are a great combination!  It almost makes me want to live either in Lewiston, ID or Missoula, MT!  They were repaving it in 2018, by now the surface should be awesome! 

 

image.png.b7e33791c35fd3bf8bd951698751659c.png

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Grum said:

Big hello to all the American gang.

A buddy of mine lives in Spokane and was returning home from a visit to Kansas City. Sent me a photo from somewhere along this magnificent Hwy US 12 (south of Missoula) from Lolo and follows the Clearwater River to the west, what a gem. I did a bit of Google mapping to get some sort of feel for the road, I'm green with envy!

Got to be one of the best motorcycle roads, obviously built for VFR's! You guys are blessed with so many wonderful places to ride, don't take it for granted, just enjoy it. Look forward to hearing further comments about this road.

 

Cheers to you all, from my COVID lockdown State of Victoria Aus! Safe riding and keep healthy.:beer:

 

You know all it takes is to make some noise about coming over and we can find you some wheels. I'm on the other side of the country but would be happy to put you on my 6th Gen if you ever make it.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer
8 hours ago, FrostyJ said:

What a great road!  In June, we took a social distancing circle central ID-tour-camping trip. We rode US-12 from the WA-ID border to Lolo MT. 

 

Clear directions from L and C. 🙂

Rt_12.thumb.JPG.650abfdb1eb48f724c0599c141ccb289.JPG

 

From Lolo we headed south toward Sun Valley ID. One of the over night stops was Stanley ID, where social distancing continued. 

808444362_StanleyID.thumb.jpg.fea7ce11fd5856a783b3f0aee72dabca.jpg

 

The next day's weather did not look good.  We crossed the Sawtooth Mountains concerned about snow.  Light rain did not start until after the summit.  Rt 21 (Ponderosa Pine Scenic Route) follows the Payette River.  Following a raging river snaking thru the mountains in light rain was a great experience as well.

 

Nice write up and pictures Frosty. I wouldn't worry too much with that VFR Oil sample you've taken, looks fine to me, I'd pour it back into the bike! :beer:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Cogswell said:

  If you want me to do something, just tell me that I can't . . .

Hey Cogswell.

That beautiful 5th gen of yours with the polished wheels......... You can't part with it. You can't crate it up and freight to Australia for free, with a full tank of fuel and all your spares, you just can't do that, that would be just impossible! I can't imagine you'd be capable of doing such a logistical nightmare of a task. Sensing a challenge Cogswell?

I would never tell you you're a can't ........personality! From what I know of you and what others say, you're really a nice guy:fing02:  :laughing6-hehe:

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Sweeper said:

You know all it takes is to make some noise about coming over and we can find you some wheels. I'm on the other side of the country but would be happy to put you on my 6th Gen if you ever make it

Hey Sweeper, that is one hell of a super kind offer, maybe one day! Many Thanks.

Best regards. :beer:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer

Oh yes one of America's great roads. Actually more than 100 miles as the road is great going west and climbing from Montana.  As the road follows the river most corners are open which means you can see through most corners allowing a "modest' pace. 

 

Have been on it a few times but always touring loaded but no matter this road is fantastic.  Make sure you get gas before you start!

 

Man these pictures make me want to post up again especially my last VFR tour.

DSCN0339LoloPassIdaho.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Member Contributer

Hot damn! That bike is 🔥.

 

2246CC82-4A53-4467-BB58-2167D2058861.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.