VFR800 VTEC fuel flooding inlet-Help

Hoping for some help.

Just bought this 2003 VTEC with 30K miles on the clock.

After standing for a day or so, when firing it up, it tries to start then hydro locks stopping the starter.

Removing the airbox I found fuel pooling in the front right side intake below the throttle butterfly....other intakes are fine and dry.

Once fuel is cleared by cranking with that front RHS spark plug removed then re-fitting it, the engine starts fine and runs perfectly.

I suspected a leaking fuel injector, so replaced them all with a matched set from a low mileage bike with 10K miles on it.

Started perfect, and sounded smoother, BUT when engine stopped, I took airbox lid off and filter out, and can see the same front RHS inlet is again slowly filling with fuel!

Can't believe it's two faulty injectors on the same cylinder.

Another thought is that maybe the fuel rail return pressure regulator is leaking back into its vacuum tube and somehow finding its way into the throttle body inlet?

Anyone had a similar problem before I fit a new fuel rail or regulator? 

Any help appreciated 🙂

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a ruptured Fuel Pressure Regulator diaphragm usually dumps fuel into cylinders 3&4 via vac hoses. The two RH side cylinders. Pop the vac hose off the FPR its probably dripping fuel.

33 minutes ago, Grum said:

Sounds like a ruptured Fuel Pressure Regulator diaphragm usually dumps fuel into cylinders 3&4 via vac hoses. The two RH side cylinders. Pop the vac hose off the FPR its probably dripping fuel.

Yep....this is it, many thanks!
I have a spare rail with regulator attached, so just getting started to replace it, will let you know

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, purgeraptor said:

Yep....this is it, many thanks!
I have a spare rail with regulator attached, so just getting started to replace it, will let you know

Excellent, easy fix. You better post some pictures of your bike.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, VFR80025th said:

What would we do without you GRUM!

Ride safe.

+1 (To answer your question, many of us would have a lot of scratch marks on our heads.)

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

+1 (To answer your question, many of us would have a lot of scratch marks on our heads.)

+1=999

Archived