Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rockerarm

Very_Fantastic_400_F

Recommended Posts

So finally I started to fix the stuff that should be fixed...
I bought it impulsively in Sweden from an old man, I think in May and brought to mid Europe where I live. I couldn't resist to those stupid brakes. 🙂 It's in very nice, original, unmolested shape, has all the documents from the dealership. Original except one thing, the front right winker stem, what I smashed when I unloaded the bike from the lorry. 😡 If you have one holy grail for sale, let me know (otherwise it will be an interesting 3d printig story).
To get registered, I need to do basically just regular service jobs, since the old man only changed oil and washed it in the last 10 years of his ownership. It's time to adjust valve clearence, check the timing chains, because it has some noise, change oil and filters, change brake fluid all over, tyres and break pads, carb sync, get some sort of a coat inside of the tank, so quite a lot things to do. And the bike was standing for the last couple of months and carb floater of the no3 cylinder got stucked...no problem, I have to adjust the valves anyway. 😄

1632004363_IMG_20190424_181345msolata.thumb.jpg.d187941dcdef3b7e24699b34693da040.jpgvi sesIMG_20190522_085851.thumb.jpg.7cc5599c2726926bd73637467c5469e1.jpggo home vf, you're drunkIMG_20190809_122522.thumb.jpg.33928859ac473bc1267145d49e1c4618.jpgfriend's garageIMG_20191019_164633.thumb.jpg.aa897acff0be921768f83aa6d1422258.jpghome, sweet home
IMG_20191019_165649.thumb.jpg.dbb81faac4493bd41cc32763225aeee3.jpgI was the first who removed the carbs. Felt sooo guilty.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum, nice looking bike.

 

Wish they had imported them to the US.

 

Try this company, I used them a few times when I lived in the UK in 2015 and had to find some parts for my 91 VFR, they were pretty good

 

.https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/VFR400KH-NC21-1987-JAPANESE/part_194202/

 

Best, Michael

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking vintage bike!

Welcome to the forum!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jo regelt!!! 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FromMaine said:

Welcome to the forum, nice looking bike.

 

Wish they had imported them to the US.

 

Try this company, I used them a few times when I lived in the UK in 2015 and had to find some parts for my 91 VFR, they were pretty good

 

.https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/VFR400KH-NC21-1987-JAPANESE/part_194202/

 

Best, Michael

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jó estét! 🙂

Thanks for the link to the store! It's a good one, I will order the brake pads from here.
I will keep this topic updated when something going to happen to the bike.

Regards,
Attila

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with your restoration; I owned a couple of these back in the 80's from new, great little bikes that punched well above their weight. Managed a couple of 900km days on one but then I was young and stupid. I managed to wind my first one out to 210km/hr down a long hill much to the surprise of my friend alongside on his GPz900. The brakes are a bit complicated but once you figure out the right disassembly sequence they're not too bad to work with, but you can overheat them easily when playing hard. 

 

image.png.0a1bef27e6c138df7b3ad71370ee74fc.pngimage.thumb.png.d3cb42bc8245e5e103d268f63812a27a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rockerarm said:

Jó estét! 🙂

Thanks for the link to the store! It's a good one, I will order the brake pads from here.
I will keep this topic updated when something going to happen to the bike.

Regards,
Attila

 

 

 

On the VF400F I had, the brake pads were worn, but the spare set of wheels had a good set of NISSIN ones.  These braked very well I must say.

 

The new owner bought the bike for his son-in-law. He mailed me a picture of the happy chappy!

 

PSX_20191021_082224.thumb.jpg.916406aaf8af22e39c9eb7e4d850a7ab.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when small capacity 4 cylinder bikes were pretty much the norm in the 80s. Compared to today's ubiquitous parallel twins they seem very exotic.

I have heard a rumour that Kawasaki are bringing out an inline 4 cylinder 250. Should be interesting if true.

Here are some old pictures of my VF400 from 1984.  Owned a year and then I couldn't 'afford to insure it so had to sell it on.

VF400FD_1.jpg

VF400FD_2.jpg

VF400FD_3.jpg

VF400FD_4.jpg

VF400FD_5.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 8:22 AM, Dutchy said:

 

 

 

On the VF400F I had, the brake pads were worn, but the spare set of wheels had a good set of NISSIN ones.  These braked very well I must say.

 

The new owner bought the bike for his son-in-law. He mailed me a picture of the happy chappy!

 

PSX_20191021_082224.thumb.jpg.916406aaf8af22e39c9eb7e4d850a7ab.jpg

I should have buy this bike... I bought a spare bike too with blown engine, but turned out that it is has no part in usable condition. 😤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small progress for today.
I cleaned the carbs from the outside and I found broken overflow rubber hose...that was the reason why I had petrol flown between the cylinders. Bad news that I have to remove the carbs from the base plate in order to change it. I really don't want to do it, because I'm afraid that I will damage the connecting fuel lines' o-ring.
Of course the sync will be gone, but will I cause any permanent harm to the carbs if I remove them from the plate? Can they be synced properly later?
 

IMG_20191023_125116.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 11:44 AM, jeremyr62 said:

I remember when small capacity 4 cylinder bikes were pretty much the norm in the 80s. Compared to today's ubiquitous parallel twins they seem very exotic.

I have heard a rumour that Kawasaki are bringing out an inline 4 cylinder 250. Should be interesting if true.

Here are some old pictures of my VF400 from 1984.  Owned a year and then I couldn't 'afford to insure it so had to sell it on.

 

 

 

 

 

Running smoother than a twin for sure, but more complex and today we don't like (to pay for) complicated things. 😄Times are also gone when japanese maunfactures wanted to prove their quality.   I like this red-white-gray color scheme too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to do the same with a set of VF500 carbs. It is straightforward enough but fiddly work. Take lots (and lots) of photographs before you start and be very methodical about it labelling stuff where necessary. Does the spare bike you have have a set of carbs too. Keep these as a reference or practice on them?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rockerarm said:

Small progress for today.
I cleaned the carbs from the outside and I found broken overflow rubber hose...that was the reason why I had petrol flown between the cylinders. Bad news that I have to remove the carbs from the base plate in order to change it. I really don't want to do it, because I'm afraid that I will damage the connecting fuel lines' o-ring.
Of course the sync will be gone, but will I cause any permanent harm to the carbs if I remove them from the plate? Can they be synced properly later?
 

IMG_20191023_125116.jpg

You want to remove the plenum anyway and REPLACE the fuel tube o-rings.  They are 35+ years old and WILL be a problem soon.  Do it now.  It's not that hard and they are easy to source without buying the whole "carb kit".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rockerarm said:

I should have buy this bike..

 

I gave you 1st dibs......  :tongue:   

 

But granted, you had other/better things on your mind eh? :goofy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice.  US gets left out on some really cool bikes.  Enjoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.