Sp2 front wheel on 5th gen...worth it?

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

Roy - I was just reading back though this thread to comb out a few more pertinent points. I definitely appreciate stark observation that for our motorcycles and their weight distribution, the weight difference would be negligible and that a light front wheel felt worse to you than a stock wheel on your VFR . The permutations you've worked with are vast - thanks for sharing your data.

I am learning that when I start chasing performance for my VFR, I gotta repeat to myself "Save it for the trackbike. Save it for the trackbike..."

Keef, sifting through ebay, it may be that Ducati wheels are the most cost efficient way of getting lighter wheels. More adaptation hoops to jump through, but...hmmm. later date stuff for me.

Alaskan - I looked at the Carrozzeria [CZ] wheels. Very interesting that a they make an axle adapter kit to fit a Ducati CZ rear to the VFR, but are adamant about not selling it as a separate kit. They'll only vend it with a set of their wheels.

Terry - thanks for getting me to consider straightening my bent F4i tubes. I'm glad yours are working well for you.

• Member Contributer
On 30/12/2016 at 3:33 PM, Mohawk said:

You will need custom bearings to fit it on the CBR axle which IIRC is 20mm OD & the SP2 is 25 or 30mm OD

The SP1 and 2 actually both have a most unusual axle OD of 22 mm.

AFAIK the 22x47x14 bearings are not available from aftermarket suppliers. The parts fiche quotes the actual dimensions rather than a standard size identifier such as e.g. 6005.

The '00-'03 Blades have a 25 mm axle and use standard bearings. Dunno about later models.

• Member Contributer
I can make a drop triple if you need one, ship back with your covers... see how she goes

Wow, that is definitely something to consider, thank you. I was thinking another option was to make extensions, but the dampner would make it tricky. I have noticed that using the cbr triples which are about an inch less forward that the forks don't have to be as long. I will lose turning angle, but I'm happy.

I see all your stuff and am amazed and jealous, I'm yet to meet and make long-term friends in Australia (here eight years from South Africa ) with your abilities, and passion.
Offer noted!
Craig

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Right, keep length and offset or go shorter and reduce offset to maintain a civil trail #, issue is keeping the wheel & fender out of the rad & pipes, need minimum length for that. Once you think you're happy, support the rear and middle for the bike, pull the fork cas and lift the front wheel to full compression & check for interference through the range of motion

• Member Contributer

For those that may want to play with different Honda frontends & disc's I found this file a few years back, it lists lots of Honda fitments for comparison. This is how I found that one of the CBR900RR models had the same bolt pattern as the RC45 plus the same disc size & offset as the VFR !

Happy hunting.

honda-disc-info.pdf

14 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Roy - I was just reading back though this thread to comb out a few more pertinent points. I definitely appreciate stark observation that for our motorcycles and their weight distribution, the weight difference would be negligible and that a light front wheel felt worse to you than a stock wheel on your VFR . The permutations you've worked with are vast - thanks for sharing your data.

I am learning that when I start chasing performance for my VFR, I gotta repeat to myself "Save it for the trackbike. Save it for the trackbike..."

Keef, sifting through ebay, it may be that Ducati wheels are the most cost efficient way of getting lighter wheels. More adaptation hoops to jump through, but...hmmm. later date stuff for me.

Alaskan - I looked at the Carrozzeria [CZ] wheels. Very interesting that a they make an axle adapter kit to fit a Ducati CZ rear to the VFR, but are adamant about not selling it as a separate kit. They'll only vend it with a set of their wheels.

Terry - thanks for getting me to consider straightening my bent F4i tubes. I'm glad yours are working well for you.

I bit the bullet and bought the kit from CZ. The front wheel is for a F4i and the rear wheel is a slightly modified 1098 with the axle adapter. Maybe Seb could build an axle adapter for you . . .

• Member Contributer

I guess it's been well covered, but the only reason to swap to SP wheel would be matching forks. Mine is SP1 forks and wheel. Axles, brakes, etc., no reason otherwise. 

• Member Contributer
On 1/1/2017 at 9:51 PM, Alaskan said:

I bit the bullet and bought the kit from CZ. The front wheel is for a F4i and the rear wheel is a slightly modified 1098 with the axle adapter. Maybe Seb could build an axle adapter for you . . .

Pics, pics, pics, please!

Ciao,

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, Alaskan said:

DO they still make this kit???

4 hours ago, JZH said:

Pics, pics, pics, please!

Ciao,

Here are a couple of pics. Not sure whether CZ makes the kit any longer. Apparently the owner/CEO is a Japanese national who really likes VFRs, so he ordered his technicians to design a kit for the 4-bolt rear wheel. The set-up wasn't cheap - $2450 with Galfer Wave rotors and shipping.

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

• Member Contributer

Oh my god. I just drooled on my keyboard. AK thanks for those photos of your VFR [and Duc, and Yamaha]. Those wheels are worth every penny...if only I had that many pennies for wheels.

Kev you're spot on about the only reason for selecting an RC51 wheel is to go with RC51 forks. I was just working through the permutations. The cost of an SP2 wheel at around $200 didn't seem prohibitive for an upgrade to my gen 5 w F4i forks if I could get the brakes, axle, spacers, and bearings to line up.

Mohawk I'm still waiting for Google Translate to help me understand the Japanese characters at the top of the columns in the chart [But I can interpolate most measurement]. Thanks for posting that.

RC36 I'd be looking for 20/47/14 bearings to fit the RC46 axle. Alas, I've run up against the adaptational limit of my desire for a slightly lighter wheel with five spokes.

Archived