Bikes of the future...too funny.

Kel

• Member Contributer

In doing some research for this years Halloween costume for my son and I, I came across this gem. Thought I saw every episode of BSG but don't remember motorcycles.

• Member Contributer

Totally agree Bryan. BSG 1980 was so chezzy. My son likes the original so we went as Starbuck and a Cylon. 

• Member Contributer

Lol. I remember watching this and other shows in that era and have to laugh. Back then that bike was the bees knees! I also wouldn't be surprised if Jay Leno has one in his garage. :goofy:

That stretch of road they used was a huge filming spot. Chips used this freeway almost daily (210 Freeway) to film their episodes. If I remember correctly, most of the filming had taken place before it was opened to the public. Eric Estrada had his motorcycle crash while filming coming off one of the off ramps in Sylmar. This freeway became a good way to avoid the traffic on highway 5. Still is to some degree.

BTW, don't be fooled you can't get to PCH from there in 5 minutes like they did on TV!

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, Helweg Denmark said:

What's the difference at todays bikes - the Harleys still look the same :goofy:

That's because  they essentially are still the same!

• Member Contributer

At least they're wearing helmets, jackets and boots. The original boots they wore in the original run of shows('77?) were Sidi motocross boots. 

• Member Contributer

This was definitely filmed before California initiated the mandatory helmet law. The gaggle of riders they come across was a common sight back then. Although it was optional back then, I always rode with one any time I was on public roads. 

• Member Contributer

For a tv show with, I'm guessing, a tight budget, the engine and frame covers to simulate something else looked pretty good. Wonder what the base bike is, probably something small. Always liked the look of the front fairing coming back over the triples into the tank. 

The Bike used is a  Yamaha MX 175

yamaha MX 175.png

Quote from :  https://starcarcentral.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/battlestar-galactica-1980-flying-motorcycles/

"The Model Shop was on such a tight schedule, they were designing, building, and painting the three motorcycles at the same time. Patterns for some parts were being carved in foam while other finished parts were being painted. The model crew was working on a half motorcycle when time ran out and the effects crew simply cut a finished motorcycle in half. Production waits for no one. The base motorcycle was a Yamaha MX 175. It was bought from North Hollywood Yamaha by Richard Bennett in 1979."

galactica flying bike.png

• Member Contributer

Gotta love the internet...great find on the behind the scenes info.

Maybe I'll make one for my little "Starbuck". Don't ask how many hours the helmet took to make.

DSCF0231.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I remember that episode. it was once the series had gotten really cheesy. even I in my youthful loyalty to anything SF lost interest.

But by then This had come along.

Streethawk.jpg

Archived