More sport than touring

SlfAwre

I was wondering if anyone here has experimented w raising the fork tubes in the triple clamp on the 8th gen?  I seem to remember reading about someone who did that on here.

Front end feels a little bit high to me and I'm curious if turn in might be sharpened up a bit by making the front end a bit lower.

Thanks in advance.

I agree the front end feels high, but I can't complain on how mine handles. I'd like to replace the rear shock with one that is ride height adjustable so I can raise the rear a bit. 

What tires are you running? I originally used the Michelin pilot power 3, but I switched to the S20 Evo for this last set, and they just seem to work better. Maybe the Bstone 180/55  is taller than the Michelins, I don't know, but they made a noticeable difference. YMMV. 

• Member Contributer

If you're still on your stock tires, wait until you get whatever sport tires you intend to ride before messing with the geometry. Mine turns in better after I put real tires on it.

True, cant say I don't like the handling, I just felt like experimenting to see if I could make an improvement.  I'm using the stock dunlop roadsmart 2-which I actually like since they give really good feel for what's going on at the contact patch, similar to a Q3.  Haven't tried any of the other ST tires though so I don't have much to compare them to.

Hadn't considered raising the rear, I figured the stock setup was pretty limited in that regard.  The rear of the bike feels fine, I guess I feel like what bothers me comes from the front feeling tall so it makes more sense to fiddle with the front?  Just to check though I tried adding a bunch of rear preload to get a sense of what a taller rear end would feel like.  While the effect was quite noticeable it didn't do much to address the thing I didn't like about the front.

I wouldn't think clearance on the front would be an issue unless I really made a huge adjustment, I was thinking something on the order of 3-5mm just to see what it felt like. 

Not that I've tried it, but I wouldn't go more than 5mm at first. The lower you go, you sacrifice front end stability. I have a Zx7r with the rear raised and the front lowered, but as they say, the zx7r doesn't slap. Just this weekend, on the VFR,  I hit something in the road while leaned over pretty good, and had the front end pop off the ground. When it came back it slid, caught, and gave me a little tank slap action before it settled down. I'd hate to think what that might have done if the front were too low. 

If Dunlop is your poison, try the Q3s on VFR. Also, do you have the seat in the highest position?  That will make it feel different. Lol. 

I raised my forks about 8mm in the first week I had the bike about 2 years ago because I wanted a bit quicker turn in.

I had actually forgotten about it until I saw this post. There are no problems with clearances or stability.

I have always run Q3s on the front at least, they dont last long on the back.

Cheers

4 hours ago, dogman said:

I raised my forks about 8mm in the first week I had the bike about 2 years ago because I wanted a bit quicker turn in.

I had actually forgotten about it until I saw this post. There are no problems with clearances or stability.

I have always run Q3s on the front at least, they dont last long on the back.

Cheers

Thanks-you were the guy I remember reading about!   Yours in a 8th gen correct? 

I assume it resulted in an improvement since you are still riding it that way.  By the way I have been thinking of going w a sport tire on the front like Q3 and a ST tire on the rear.   That said the Bridgestone S20 evo looks like it's designed exactly for what I do with the bike-fast road work and maybe some track time here and there.

10 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

Not that I've tried it, but I wouldn't go more than 5mm at first. The lower you go, you sacrifice front end stability. I have a Zx7r with the rear raised and the front lowered, but as they say, the zx7r doesn't slap. Just this weekend, on the VFR,  I hit something in the road while leaned over pretty good, and had the front end pop off the ground. When it came back it slid, caught, and gave me a little tank slap action before it settled down. I'd hate to think what that might have done if the front were too low. 

If Dunlop is your poison, try the Q3s on VFR. Also, do you have the seat in the highest position?  That will make it feel different. Lol. 

Interesting yours slapped on you.  I've been impressed by how stable this thing is at lean compared to other bikes I've had.  I've hit some fair sized bumps/holes leaned over at pace with nothing more than a little shake of the bars as a result-nothing too dramatic.  Maybe I'm just not going fast enough:)

Yeah, it gave me a good scare. I will say that is the only time I've had anything like that happen. For the most part, I agree, this thing is nice and stable. Even in this case, it settled down on its own; it just gave me more drama than I was expecting. 

• Member Contributer

The OEM tires suck badly especially the rear.  Like someone said, put real tires on it before you do anything.  I did that and it's a different bike now.....completely different.  

The handling with Q3s front and rear is awesome but costly replacing the rear every 4000Kms, but the confidence is inspiring.

I now use a Q3 front and roadsmart3 rear and am impressed with the roadsmart 3 rear so far, but I wouldn't push it as hard as the Q3.

• Member Contributer
On 7/6/2016 at 6:26 PM, 01ragtop said:

Yeah, it gave me a good scare. I will say that is the only time I've had anything like that happen. For the most part, I agree, this thing is nice and stable. Even in this case, it settled down on its own; it just gave me more drama than I was expecting. 

If the front end gets out of line with the rear and there's less weight on the front (accelerating out of a turn for example) you can get a tank slapper...ask me how I know.  A fully loaded set of Givi's on W VA back roads with a coal truck is one memory.  Another time my SV took advantage of my steering damper coming out of T9 thunder valley (depending how you label the turns) at Mid-Ohio once...with ARMCO not too far to the outside of both situations, something like this will make you pull over and pull out the wet wipes for a quick clean up...

On 7/7/2016 at 3:51 PM, Bent said:

The OEM tires suck badly especially the rear.  Like someone said, put real tires on it before you do anything.  I did that and it's a different bike now.....completely different.  

Are you talking about the OEM Dunlops?  Why do they suck, especially the rear?  Not trying to pick on you just curious what you dont like about them.

I love my Dunlop Roadsmart 2's on my VFR800.  Always gave me a lot of confidence.  They last long.  They turn in quick (for a VFR), yet doesn't make the bike "fall" into the turns like a dedicated sport tire does.  Plus, they are reasonably priced.  Can't complain about it.

The oem tires don't last (thankfully). Mine lasted around 2500 grueling miles. They don't turn in well, they follow rain groves, and generally don't give much feedback. I've ran two sets of Pilot Power 3s and I'm almost through a set of S20 Evos. Both are sportier and lasted just as long. The PP3s do fall into corners a little, but the S20 evos are phenomenal. They are dial a lean, last fair for sport tires, and make the bike feel like it's on rails. Feedback is good imo, and they don't seem to go off at the end of life like the Michelins do. 

I bought a set of S21 Evos recently, and if they're even a little better than the S20 Evo, they will be well worth the $205/set. The only thing I can say, is that for that price, you should at least try them to see what good tires can do for the VFR. If you think they're more than you need after that run the S21 up front and the T30 on the rear. 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, SlfAwre said:

Are you talking about the OEM Dunlops?  Why do they suck, especially the rear?  Not trying to pick on you just curious what you dont like about them.

That's a fair and good question.  I knew, from previously owning two other VFR's and from using other tires that the OEM's were bad tires.  The profile on them (especially the rear) is "flat" compared to good modern ST tires.  My statement and opinion are based on the fact that when I put modern Bridgestone's on my 2014, it transformed the bike into a well handling machine.  I expected this and it happened.  I replaced the rear only and that alone transformed the bike by exponentially increasing its' turn in ability.  The OEM front was still on the bike and it was "OK".  When I put the Bridgestone on the front, the handling improved yet again.  The OEM's must be made for novice riders that don't know how to corner a bike.  I do know how to corner a bike but the OEM tires work against cornering easily, not for turning safely and easily.  Hope that explains my feelings.    

This is an interesting topic aside from tires. 

I'd like to set up VFR on the sporty side as well. Here is my wish list to accomplish the task:

Wilburs or Ohlins rear shock. Penske if they ever make a remote preload adjuster. 

Race Tech internals in the forks.

Brake upgrade? The stock brakes are really good, so maybe just steel braided lines would do the trick, but it looks like the Brembo calipers from the CBR100RR SP might bolt up. Would a radial MC disable the ABS?

Exhaust for the sound more than performance. 

Any other thoughts?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 01ragtop said:

I'd like to set up VFR on the sporty side as well. Here is my wish list to accomplish the task:

Wilburs or Ohlins rear shock. Penske if they ever make a remote preload adjuster. 

Brake upgrade? The stock brakes are really good, so maybe just steel braided lines would do the trick, but it looks like the Brembo calipers from the CBR100RR SP might bolt up. Would a radial MC disable the ABS?

Any other thoughts?

No idea on the brake upgrades you are asking about beyond the lines and pads.

Regarding the Penske, they are the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

I have set my sag for agressive street riding and find that works well for two up riding as well.  I just don't find myself wanting to play with the preload once the valving, spring rate and sag are done properly.  Wilburs may have improved since our group buy of several years ago but everyone here who participated in that group buy was ripped off.

2 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

Any other thoughts?

It is an interesting topic! 

For me the interceptor is a near perfect balance of real road performance and practicality.  Looong range, comfortable, but it can certainly hustle when I want it to.  Just got back from rallying some perfect warm sticky asphalt on Mines Road.  Those sit up adventure/dirt bikes are sure popular now but I've never been a fan of that position for the road and full on sportbikes make me want to stop and get off after 45 minutes of riding. 

I think a nice setup would be:

-Revalve suspension front and rear-for me the rear feels pretty decent in terms of spring+damping but it's a bit harsh.  Ohlins would be sweet but maybe a little overkill  on this bike.  I think a revalve would be enough?  Front I'd like to lower a bit.  Fork blows through the travel easily.  I feel like no matter how smooth I am w the front brake the fork just crumples under any moderate to heavy brake pressure.  USD setup would be super cool but I know myself and I'll never go through that much trouble..

-Braided steel lines in front.  Stock brakes would be pretty good I think minus the rubber lines.  I have a 14 100rr SP w the Brembos.  They are nice brakes but to me the advantage of the Brembos would not be realized on the street.

-Maybe different tires, more sporty less toury.

-Yamamoto high mount exhaust from the Crossrunner:)  Just cause it's cool.  Would be awesome if it fits or could be made to fit.

Archived