Replacement Grips

Has anyone replaced their heated grips yet?  My bike has a little over 10k miles and the grips are soft and sticky. I don't know if I used something I shouldn't have to clean them or what, but they get gooey in the heat and it gets all over my gloves and from there, the tank and anything else I touch. 

I've never replaced heated grips before, anything different I need to know before I order replacement grips?

• Member Contributer

I think what the fiche shows is both the heated grip option and the standard (non heated) grip.  

• Member Contributer

The OEM grips went gooey?  I've never heard of that happening!  Were they OEM heated grips?

Ciao,

I've been wondering about this myself.  Looks like it's gonna cost around $200 to replace them (from BB, at least).  Marsman is right about the diagram.  Items 9 and 10 are the plain grips for the standard model.  The heated grips (#7 & 8) are all one piece (heater and grip all combined with switch and wires).  Sucks to have to pay a hundred bucks a grip, but that's the price we pay to have heated grips I guess...and I do like having them on cold days.

• Member Contributer
On 2 July 2016 at 10:09 AM, 01ragtop said:

Has anyone replaced their heated grips yet?  My bike has a little over 10k miles and the grips are soft and sticky. I don't know if I used something I shouldn't have to clean them or what, but they get gooey in the heat and it gets all over my gloves and from there, the tank and anything else I touch. 

I've never replaced heated grips before, anything different I need to know before I order replacement grips?

Is your bike still within its 2 year warranty? Just a thought, could this be a manufacturing issue?? Good Luck.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

We only get one year, and sadly it is up for me. 

Bummer! Your problem sounds strange though, haven't heard of this happening. Didn't spill any brake fluid over them perhaps??

• Member Contributer
On 7/3/2016 at 7:02 AM, JZH said:

The OEM grips went gooey?  I've never heard of that happening!  Were they OEM heated grips?

Mine are starting to feel a bit gummy too.

Only thing that's touched 'em is leather, rainwater (NYC acid rain? - LOL) and Meguiars Gold Class.  Plus whatever construction dust may constantly rain down upon the bike during the day while the buildings where I work get cleaned, pointed, new windows, renovations, etc.

• Member Contributer

I know that silicones and even WD40 along with the operating heat of the grips can soften rubber. Just for info!

Archived