2005 vtec can chain tensioner. Metal cap ?

Rs2k

Hi all. 

I I changed my rear CCT a few week ago and done very little mileage since. 

Ive just looked at the old CCT and realised there is a metal cap over the rubber end ? 

Is33642135-EE8A-4569-B293-951EB909C876.jpg

BD634F16-453C-4CDE-95F3-39B6B6D4BC1A.jpg

this cap meant to me changed over :-/ ? 

13 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Yes, or replaced with a new cap. With out that cap, the rubber end will split after 10 or 20 thousand miles.

Ah crad !  Can I reuse the gasket ? 

Didnt swap it on rear tensioner. Not ordered new cap for front either ?

I think it is okay to reuse the caps. It would be ideal to buy new caps, but I don't think its necessary. As far as the gasket goes, you might be okay, I don't think that area is under pressure. I think the rear would leak before the front, so give it a try and keep an eye on it.

• 3 months later...

My tip for this little job is to put a dab of superglue on the face of the rubber to ensure the metal cap doesn't fall off when re-inserting. 

Because they do.....and it's a nightmare to get one back out of the engine if you drop it.

• Member Contributer

I am just about to do my tensioners this weekend.  Did you dill the gasket to allow a greater oil flow through the tensioner?  I have read about this in previous posts but having now got the replacement gaskets in my hands and seeing the hole size, designed by Honda, I keep thinking it is to keep the pressure up within that oil supply line and to provide almost an oil jet/spray to the tensioners only.  If you now drill the gasket, to what has been suggested by others on the forum to the same size as the tensioner hole, then yes the flow will increase but the pressure will drop in the whole oil supply line / gallery.   What is being provided oil within the engine prior to this point? Are we reducing the pressure of oil in some critical areas within the engine?  Think about an open garden hose, if you turn on the water you get full flow at low pressure, but if you put your finger over the end the pressure increases and flow reduces.  The tensioners do not really need the oil pressure to keep the tensioner tight as that is the task of the spring and tensioner ratchet. I would suggest the oil supply is there just to keep them liberally lubricated and hence why the gasket from Honda has such a small oriface.  It might be that once the internals of the tensioner are flooded with the flow of oil, the pressure will increase again but I would suggest it would not be to the same pressure that is provided by the small orifice in the gasket.  

Noting this this is only a recent mod by members, from what I can see from trawling the posts, it would be interesting to see if anyone has had issues with engine damage/ wear.  I have checked the workshop manual and the cut away picture of the v4 engine to try and see where the oil supply to the tensioners is taken from. Hopefully it is not off the crankshaft as a drop of oil pressure to that component would not be good.

• Member Contributer

Something that fellow member Lint had posted before. That being said, has anyone tried to "readjust" their cam chain tensioners? Regardless, in the video he points out the issue with the cap and a possible solution to keep it on the tensioner.

16 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Something that fellow member Lint had posted before. That being said, has anyone tried to "readjust" their cam chain tensioners? Regardless, in the video he points out the issue with the cap and a possible solution to keep it on the tensioner.

Interesting, I wonder how many times you can retension these springs, before failure.

• Member Contributer

I can't imagine not just replacing these parts.  I went over 50,000 miles before needing to complete this activity, so for me, the risk/reward just doesn't seem to favor a rebuild.  IMO, Honda made this pretty painless.  I recently learned what disciples of The Motor Company go through when they have to do this.  It's a nightmare of effort and expense.  It's kind of shocking to have a HD devotee say, "Honda did a better job of engineering the arrangement to service CCT".

Archived