Rear Wheel Locked Up

jackvfr

This may sound dumb, but I had something similar happen, and it turned out the dealer had not bolted the rear brake caliper back in and the bolt fell loose and the caliber dropped into the spoke on the wheel. I was totally befuddled till a passing motorist pointed it out and helped me pick the bike up and get it off the road.

the exact same thing just happened to me about a month ago. I took my bike in for the state inspection and they forgot a bolt, and the rear caliper fell off and banged around in the rear wheel before violently flying out. That was a $315 repair bill.

• Member Contributer

On the Dutch VFR forum there are a few cases of 5th gens with broken gearboxes, all of them had 3rd gear problems. The rear locking up could be caused by the gearbox being "shifted" into two gears at the same time.

I lost 3rd too. It's because the engagement dogs are on 6th, and it's the weakest gear in the trans due to it having a groove for the shift fork that creates a thin flange where the dogs are.

I was lucky to just lose 3rd. When I got it apart I could see all the nicks in the case from the broken dogs bouncing around in there. Fortunately they all made it down into the oil pan instead of jamming the trans.

This may sound dumb, but I had something similar happen, and it turned out the dealer had not bolted the rear brake caliper back in and the bolt fell loose and the caliber dropped into the spoke on the wheel. I was totally befuddled till a passing motorist pointed it out and helped me pick the bike up and get it off the road.

the exact same thing just happened to me about a month ago. I took my bike in for the state inspection and they forgot a bolt, and the rear caliper fell off and banged around in the rear wheel before violently flying out. That was a $315 repair bill.

Fortunately my Honda shop ate that bill. New rear wheel, new caliper, new pads, re bled the system and I even made them fix a crack in the rear fairing that happened when I was lifting it up to get it off the road. And the guy who wrenched on my bike got fired a couple weeks later because of this and he also destroyed a brand new goldwing motor.

Altogether

• Member Contributer

Bad news. Sorry to hear.

Maybe someone near where you live can help you swap the engine for another one fr a couple fo cases of beer? Or some local club? It will be less work than parting out... believe me.

Or sell as is for parts and get a new one? Just saying...

C

• Member Contributer

When troubleshooting a sudden wheel lock the first roll the bike back
and forth in the range of the chain slack... note whether the wheel or
the counter shaft is frozen in order to determine if the culprit is
internal or external...

When troubleshooting an engine lock first remove the clutch cover...

then remove the gear (item 1) from the end of the crank... note whether

the clutch or the crank is frozen in order to determine if the engine or

gear box is the culprit...

CE_10148_1.jpg

When troubleshooting gears and shifting dogs first remove the exhaust
then drop the oil pan... from this bottom view advantage you can pear
up and inspect the gears and shifting dogs...

CE_10152_1.jpg

I realise I could buy another but the standard of bikes on the web are poor. I may just buy something new but I guess when you got engines you got problems. Probably more of a physiological thing now, but I did really love that bike but I'd be worried it could happen again this time at 70.

My curiosity would get to me, I would definitely drop the pan to see what is up. Think more about what you have that is good, than what is bad. A lot of good stuff still there.

I just joined so no pic or profile yet but I wanted to weigh in with my tale of woe. Loud crack then engine cut out. I could shift and clutch and rollin newtral but engine seized. Piston and rod cracked. Punched a hole in the crankcase between the cylinders. this was a 98 with 49K. I am getting a 2000 engine to put in and wondered if anyone has experience with this swap. ie., the catalytic converter and something about coolant hoses under the throttle body? Will my 98 ecu work? Maybe I should have started a new post but I'm not sure how to do that.

post-34755-0-62725200-1460669905.jpg

• Member Contributer

Maybe I should have started a new post but I'm not sure how to do that.

Go to the Forums tab, then find the appropriate category for your post - maybe "Modifications" since you're thinking of doing a swap from a different model year - click on it and then click on "Start a new topic". You might also want to do the same for an introductory post under the "Official Welcome Forum" - tell us a bit about yourself and your bike.

Archived