Speedo Stopping And Starting?

RDMcD

• Member Contributer

ok ... 5th gen with 50 000 kms , original electrics.

Went out for a ride and noticed my speedo at zero, then bouncing to what seemed to be the correct speed , then back to zero.

After some playing around I noticed that it was only correct when accelerating and fell to zero the rest of the time.

Before everyone goes all RR on me...

while at speed if I pull in the clutch and rev the engine the speedo will stay at zero all day. Again it only works under load when accelerating. Any ideas?

I also removed the sensor on the sprocket and the plastic nut seems to be ok. how can I test the sensor itself?

• Member Contributer

ok ... 5th gen with 50 000 kms , original electrics.

Went out for a ride and noticed my speedo at zero, then bouncing to what seemed to be the correct speed , then back to zero.

After some playing around I noticed that it was only correct when accelerating and fell to zero the rest of the time.

Before everyone goes all RR on me...

while at speed if I pull in the clutch and rev the engine the speedo will stay at zero all day. Again it only works under load when accelerating. Any ideas?

I also removed the sensor on the sprocket and the plastic nut seems to be ok. how can I test the sensor itself?

The test procedure is in the service manual. I had the same issue and it turned out to be the sensor and not the plastic nut. The procedure requires a volt meter. If you haven't already done so, down load the manual from the downloads section.

• Member Contributer

thanks Duc.. I guess when all else fails, read the manual!

I was also thinking of hooking it up to a drill and seeing what happens, although that may not work while sitting in my garage in neutral.

I'd still like to know why it works under acceleration?

• Member Contributer

I was also thinking of hooking it up to a drill and seeing what happens, although that may not work while sitting in my garage in neutral.

The drill trick would work as long as voltage is running through the sensor. If you remove it from the bike, you can still put voltage through it and read the pulses coming from it with a meter. I believe it is a +/- 5 volt. I know I did a post about my venture with this but I'm being a little lazy at the moment to go search for it.

My 98 is doing the exact same thing right now. The plastic nut looks good so we're probably stuck with the sensor.

I haven't done the test procedure and just continue to ride it because I don't care what the speedo says anyway. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

When a mechanic (who was new to VFRs) at my Honda dealer was replacing my chain and sprockets it was revealed that the old front sprocket was wider that oem. But no one, including myself, knew the significance of that. On the way to SumSum3 last summer my speedo quit working. Hispanic Slammer correctly diagnosed the problem as the female nut that engages the speedo sensor was not engaging the male part. By sliding the female nut on it's shaft towards the sensor, speed monitoring was restored. Thanks HS.

Hopefully your problem is that simple; part numbers 18 and 20, located at the front sprocket, are the culprits:

MBG4F0200A.gif

• Member Contributer

The drill trick would work as long as voltage is running through the sensor. If you remove it from the bike, you can still put voltage through it and read the pulses coming from it with a meter. I believe it is a +/- 5 volt. I know I did a post about my venture with this but I'm being a little lazy at the moment to go search for it.

It's 12v. Its power comes trom the tail light circuit.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I had a similar problem with the white plastic adaptor for the speedo drive. Someone (not me) had failed to align it with the sprocket nut when tightening the mounting bolts, and the end of the sensor shaft had pushed through the stop on the plastic nut, so the nut was sitting further onto the shaft than it should, and not making good contact with the sprocket nut. Buy yourself a new adaptor, they're only a few dollars.

• Member Contributer

ok somehow the plastic nut has moved on the shaft. Its not engaging with the sprocket nut.

Can anyone measure the length of the plastic and the distance between it and the sensor body?

Terry .What is the adaptor, the plastic nut ?

• Member Contributer

The hole through plastic nut should have a solid cap on the end to stop the shaft going right through. Yours has been punched out by mis-assembly at some point, so you can slide the nut along the shaft so that it engages the nut properly, but it is going to slip back along the shaft and disengage the sprocket nut fairly soon. I have been there, and done that. Just buy the new part. US$6.44 from Partzilla,

44808-MR7-013 JOINT, SPEEDOMETER

• Member Contributer

You're right. By me as I just reassembled it a couple weeks ago. Strange that it took several rides to act up ??

Also I think my sunstar sprocket is thinner than stock adding to the problem.

• Member Contributer

The hole can get punched through the plastic piece if the cover is tightened without the plastic piece seated correctly on the bolt head. Might be able to JB Weld it or something like that?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I've been running this sprocket for 2 years now without a problem. When I measure the nut must have just barely been engaging.

Archived