Fuel Consumption

Hiya. The last couple of months, my fuel consumption has been lower than normal: around 185 miles per tank (commuting to work and home) as compared with around 145 previously. First I thought it was perhaps a fuel blockage or restriction, because it coincided with somewhat slightly rougher running of the engine. Then I realised I'd also had the front tire changed around the same time, so I thought it was different rolling circumference of the tire throwing the speedo off. Until I realised the speedo works off the gearbox. Duh.

So, I've gone back to it being an engine/fuelling issue. Weird though; never had this before, in 42 years of driving/riding....

• Member Contributer

Did you put a taller windscreen on? Riding slower (I get 50mpg at 5000 rpm cruise)? New tires? If it's in the motor, I cannot help. But I expect the experts will chime in.

But you're not complaining, right?

If the fuel tube from your tank is pinched it will make the bike run odd, but the bike will compensate and you'll get legendary fuel economy. I pinched mine by accident and got a kink in it once and was getting 60mpg but it felt like I had 20hp.

The fuel tube scenario is crazy! I learn crazy stuff from you guys! Now I wonder if the incredible mileages some people post are due to actual problems with their bikes.

If you have not had the tank up or such maybe an old hose has collapsed? Hrm if it is a vent tube you would have detected suction when opening the gas cap.

• Member Contributer

The last couple of months, my fuel consumption has been lower than normal: around 185 miles per tank (commuting to work and home) as compared with around 145 previously.

Going by the mileage between fills isn't very accurate. Better would be to note the odo reading as well as the fuel volume. I've done this for years, and on my '98 & '99 VFR800s I saw a much bigger variance overall between best & worst. Best being long highway legs, worst being short stints near home.

The last couple of months, my fuel consumption has been lower than normal: around 185 miles per tank (commuting to work and home) as compared with around 145 previously.

Going by the mileage between fills isn't very accurate. Better would be to note the odo reading as well as the fuel volume. I've done this for years, and on my '98 & '99 VFR800s I saw a much bigger variance overall between best & worst. Best being long highway legs, worst being short stints near home.

Yeah, I've done that. Each time, I've run it until the fuel gauge starts flashing, and then a bit. Measured the volume to fill it up as full as I could get it, and it's all pretty much the same. The thing is, the mileage per tank on the tripmeter was always around 145 or so, now it's always around 185. Very consistent. The other thing is, the last few months, I've only every ridden Eggs Zachary the same route, commuting to work and back.

I must check out that "pinched" hose thing though; seems like the most likely candidate. I thought it was a sparkplug/plug lead thing, as there has been what feels like misfiring on one cylinder for a while, but that wouldn't account for all these symptoms.

• Member Contributer

I normally get 260-280 km from brimming full to the flashing bar warning, riding in a "brisk and spirited" manner on my favourite windy roads, with nary a straight in sight. If anything your 145 miles sounds like you had a problem that was giving higher consumption, and now you don't.

I know crazy, right?

I twisted the fuel tank when working on the bike and put a kink in the fuel supply hose. It basically ran really lean and occasionally would act up and hesitate. Otherwise it became an econobike. :)

The fuel tube scenario is crazy! I learn crazy stuff from you guys! Now I wonder if the incredible mileages some people post are due to actual problems with their bikes.

If you have not had the tank up or such maybe an old hose has collapsed? Hrm if it is a vent tube you would have detected suction when opening the gas cap.

Archived