Good Tail Bag For 8Th Gen.

Bent

• Member Contributer

Has anyone found a good tail bag that fits and ties down well for the 8th gen. ?

I have a new Cortech tail bag that's going back to the vendor. Cortech makes good stuff but the tie down straps are the most over-engineered conglomerations of straps that don't work I can imagine anyone ever designing. I really don't want to pay that much for a bag then have to southern engineer straps that work. The instructions are of the same caliber.....indecipherable. Very disappointing.

So, who knows of a good tail bag that ties down well? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I went at this a different way on my 6th gen, but my tail bag is only used on tours. I use a bungie net to secure the bag. But if I was of a mind to go for something more sophisticated, I look at one of the Kriega bags. Lots of options there.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Update: I believe I have it figured out. I managed to get the bag on tight enough that it isn't going anywhere using the straps that came with it. It just takes some imagination using the straps to work as your bike is configured. I've always traveled short or long distance with a Cortech tail bag to carry everything from lunch, tools, water, and clothes. They are the handiest thing made for a VFR, IMHO. Just had a helluva time learning how to tie a new one down on a new bike.

I would still be interested in what other people use and how they tie them down.

• Member Contributer

I have a cortech tailbag on my 6th gen. I use the straps that came with the bag to fasten the front clips to the passenger foot peg bracket and made a custom strap that the cortech strap feeds through and then wraps around the grab bar and fastens to the rear clips on the tail bag. The tail bag is nice and secure. Hope this makes sense or do I need to post some pics?

I was thinking about the Kriega 40 combo. Seems like it would be enough to house everything I would need on a long trip and allow some versatility with it's modular design. Looks like it'll mount up well with the integrated underseat straps. Only con is the $300+ price tag.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-uscombo40-drypack-system

• Member Contributer

I have a cortech tailbag on my 6th gen. I use the straps that came with the bag to fasten the front clips to the passenger foot peg bracket and made a custom strap that the cortech strap feeds through and then wraps around the grab bar and fastens to the rear clips on the tail bag. The tail bag is nice and secure. Hope this makes sense or do I need to post some pics?

You're making sense. I was just averse to having to "rig" a custom strap system on an expensive bag. My wife could have done it well but Cortech could have supplied better instructions with options. It is what it is.

• Member Contributer

I've got a Kriega US 10 & 20, they mount really well on the loops that Honda provide, the centres look like they used a Kriega to give the spacing

I use the US10 all the time and have used the US20 a few times when I've gone away for a couple of days, they really are superb quality when compared to say an Oxford tail bag, of which I have a 30 litre one I used to carry most of my kit about in when touring California for 2 weeks last Fall

There's enough room when I stack the US10 onto the US20 that I can get a set of waterproofs, pair of jeans, 2 thin thermal tops, 2 T shirts, socks, boxers and a pair of trainers in with room to spare for a screw top steel water bottle, phone, iPad mini and even a China mug ....packing being the thing to think through and try a couple of combinations

30 Litres is a lot of space used properly

US10 in use

post-33375-0-06516700-1456510230.jpeg

I have the Wolfman Peak tailbag attached full time to the passenger seat. It's a perfect fit, and it's expandable. I just swap out the cowl for the seat when I need a bit more storage...throw on the saddle bags when I need a lot more storage :)

• Member Contributer

The names Thumbs mate, screen names appear above the post

It doesn't overhang the seat anywhere, the US20 doesn't either, the straps fit very neatly going more or less straight down to the loops, I'll see if I have pic with the US20 fitted

I've got a Wolfman enduro pack on my CCM, it's well made but not as good as the Kriega

• 2 weeks later...

I use a First Gear Silverstone. I was using the bungees, the rear two connected to loops on the bike and the front two connected together under the tail. It worked really well, but I started to worry about the front bungees rubbing the paint. I now use the velcro strap around the passenger seat, which is secure in that it isn't going to come off, but it does move around more than I'd like.

I was so happy with the Ventura racks and the same bag on my 5th & 6th Gen VFRs, so the choice to go with a new Ventura combo was a no-brainer. I've got the Euro-Rally bag and use it daily for commuting, but there's a range of quality choices.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/product/Honda/VFR-800FE

• Member Contributer

Been using the Cortec and it works beautifully. Took it off and put it back on today. It's a nice tidy tie down. It's a win.

I've attached a few photos of the Kriega US 40 Tailbag system and how it looks attached to the 8th Gen. Every combination fits great. I like that even once it's connected you can take the whole thing off just by removing the seat... replace with cowl, and ride on when it's not needed. There are more angle view in my album.

Kriega US 20 Tailbag

Kriega US 40 Combo Tailbag

Kriega US 10 Tailbag

I have had great success with my GIVI easy bag. Installs cleanly under the pillion seat and holds a case of 16 ounce beverages or anything else I can think of with no security or movement issues.

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2016 at 4:27 PM, Bent said:

Has anyone found a good tail bag that fits and ties down well for the 8th gen. ?

I have a new Cortech tail bag that's going back to the vendor. Cortech makes good stuff but the tie down straps are the most over-engineered conglomerations of straps that don't work I can imagine anyone ever designing. I really don't want to pay that much for a bag then have to southern engineer straps that work. The instructions are of the same caliber.....indecipherable. Very disappointing.

So, who knows of a good tail bag that ties down well? Thanks.

I soo feel your pain (although I guess you solved it, based on your follow-up post). This is my first post here; I just took delivery of a 2010 VFR1200FD and had bought the Cortech bag (from Amazon!) prior.. I cannot figure out how to use the four provided (weird) tie downs. They're not the right length to reach what they need to reach. If they were shorter I think I could use what I believe to be the factory pannier attach points, and yet the velcro'd straps are not long enough to reach around the passenger peg frame or anything else handy. I think I'm going to have to ask a seamstress friend to engineer a custom solution, because I really like the Super 2.0 24 litre bag itself.

• Member Contributer

Have never seen the product. But from what you are saying I would say the Velcro straps wrap around under the seat and link with the ones from the other side. 

15 hours ago, fink said:

Have never seen the product. But from what you are saying I would say the Velcro straps wrap around under the seat and link with the ones from the other side. 

Nope. That's how I thought it would come, but it's designed to use the too-short velcro thingies to attach to... whatever can be found to attach to. Like someone said above, it's a wonky, over-engineered strap design.

• Member Contributer
On July 5, 2016 at 7:55 PM, blave said:

I soo feel your pain (although I guess you solved it, based on your follow-up post). This is my first post here; I just took delivery of a 2010 VFR1200FD and had bought the Cortech bag (from Amazon!) prior.. I cannot figure out how to use the four provided (weird) tie downs. They're not the right length to reach what they need to reach. If they were shorter I think I could use what I believe to be the factory pannier attach points, and yet the velcro'd straps are not long enough to reach around the passenger peg frame or anything else handy. I think I'm going to have to ask a seamstress friend to engineer a custom solution, because I really like the Super 2.0 24 litre bag itself.

Don't know about your gen. of VFR but on the 8th gen., I looped the ends of the straps through the loop sewn in the straps through the 4 plastic slots (hard luggage attachment points??).  Then I attached the 4 snaps to the bag.  Then, I tightened the 4 straps tight.  Then, I wrapped the extra length of straps around the pillion grab handles just to get them out of the way, then I used the velcro loops to fasten the end of the straps to the part of the strap going to the grab handles (they are meant to go around the straps to tie down the ends, not some hard part of the bike).  This probably sounds like a cluster but, with patience and creativity, it turned out very good for me.  I had to do the same kind of thinking on my 5th and 6th gens.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2016 at 4:07 AM, fink said:

Crazy indeed. I would be taking it back and getting something else.

Other than the straps, I think it's a great bag. I figured out a way to use Velcro, sewn to the otherwise unmodified (but removed from the pad thingies) straps, to secure it to the four pass-through holes that I presume are for the factory hard bags. So far, this is working great. If anyone wants photos of what I had done by my seamstress gal friend, LMK.

Archived