Shipping Fairings Any Tips?

fonque

I have some spare parts that I need to get rid of. Does anyone have any tips on shipping fairings?

I dont know what kind of box or packaging I should use for this. Any help is appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I've sent and received both. A big strong box with lots of stuffing tends to work. Beware: shipping charges go up with the size of the package, so I was told at UPS.

• Member Contributer

I've sent and received both. A big strong box with lots of stuffing tends to work. Beware: shipping charges go up with the size of the package, so I was told at UPS.

Yup - Same goes for USPS. However, sometimes a little extra packaging and $$ is better than broken fairings and I know exactly how packages are handled. Pack it like you plan on kicking it off a fire escape and then having other heavy boxes dropped on it. >FRAGILE< or >This Side Up< has no meaning during the shipping process.

Our packages are literally thrown during the sorting process all the way through the system. I'm quite certain the other carriers do the same. We also have UPS and FedEx trucks back up to our docks every day and off-load packages for us to deliver so just because you ship with them, doesn't mean they will deliver it.

Our packages are literally thrown during the sorting process all the way through the system.

No wonder I get small items in medium size boxes with bubble wrap.

At least the styro peanuts seem to have gone out of favor.

• Member Contributer

Yup - Same goes for USPS. However, sometimes a little extra packaging and $$ is better than broken fairings and I know exactly how packages are handled. Pack it like you plan on kicking it off a fire escape and then having other heavy boxes dropped on it. >FRAGILE< or >This Side Up< has no meaning during the shipping process.

Our packages are literally thrown during the sorting process all the way through the system. I'm quite certain the other carriers do the same. We also have UPS and FedEx trucks back up to our docks every day and off-load packages for us to deliver so just because you ship with them, doesn't mean they will deliver it.

Sounds like a cross between package soccer and package basketball. I do love the USPS. Thanks for your service Mr. The Mailman.

At least the styro peanuts seem to have gone out of favor.

:fing02: Man! I do hate those buggers.

• Member Contributer

I have shipped a few things by Greyhound services and they have come through without damage ,shipping is cheap only drawback is they are only delivered to the closesest terminal for Greyhound .

• Member Contributer

Here's how my fairings travelled from China to New Zealand:

IMG_2089.jpg

Inside the pieces were individually foam wrapped and taped, with some additional stuffing to stop movement within the box.

IMG_2093.jpg

One good idea for pieces that could be squashed sideways and crack (like the top fairing and the tail fairing) is to insert a prop to keep the floppy ends apart. In the picture above a small piece of wood was screwed in place through the front mount holes. A piece of cardboard tube taped in place would do the same job.

I have never shipped fairings, so beware. That said: Frame as much of the interior of the box as you can with scrap wood or dowels from the hardware store, cut to size. If you can put a support in the middle of the box somewhere that is good. If you cannot then you can still put supports in the sides, cut them a little short, then put a crossbar over them and the fairing. A 1/2" or thicker support would probably prevent most accidental compression of the box.

Consider taking a larger box and cutting it to a perfect custom size for the fairing and supports. Build the supports around the fairing then build the box around it. Rubber cement to glue the seam, then packing tape. Consider tying string around the box for additional strength. For more of your labor you'll minimize the size of the box and thus the shipping cost.

My opinion is that if you can increase the known strength of the box that is better than willy-nilly making it bigger with soft material like most people do. Those shippers can drop it in the plant and accidentally step on it. No matter how large, their safety toe boot will still go right through the soft material.

I am definitely biased. In my life for some reason everything via UPS gets damaged (I HATE getting brand new books from Amazon that are dented. HATE THAT.) Everything I have shipped via Fedex has looked like it was never touched. Your mileage may vary.

Archived