My New Bike Has The Worlds Largest Top Box

Pjcliffo

• Member Contributer

I have a few photos somewhere of my side bags I bought and as Knight describes, in the photos it makes the tail bags look "extra-wide"!

I am reminded of the extra videos in one of my shows, Stargate Atlantis. They show the scientist crawling through the duct work. They use wide angle lenses to make the duct look a mile long, when it is really only a couple feet long. Then as the character approaches the camera his head balloons and the viewer gets the impression, "wow he went a long way, that was a real struggle." A total fakeout just by changing lenses, just as you see in that picture.

• Member Contributer

I suspect the photographer is close to the bike and is using a wide angle lens. Such a lens balloons objects close to the viewer and shrinks the objects far away.

Note to self: Never take a photo of the G.F. using that technique. . . . :laugh:

• 7 months later...

Just curious, do you travel solo or with a passenger?  I know I'm getting the panniers but also considering the top box, but wondering what your passenger's experience has been like (getting on/off, comfort while riding, etc.).  I like that you're in all black which will hopefully hide minor scuff marks.  That said have you taken any aftermarket or home-grown measures to protect the surfaces of the panniers and top box from scuffs, scratches, boot marks, etc...?

Usually ride solo. Partly bought bike with top box backrest panniers to tempt the wife to ride with me  but no luck yet. Although there are benefits to that. Also want to do some touring. Found the bike handles much better without the topbox and panniers but may need to play with suspension settings. 

Did try some clear film for protection but it looked trashy and the paint is so beautiful so I just try to be careful.

I have an original Hondaline trunk that was on my ST1100 that is that big. I briefly thought of mounting it on the VFR until I realized I could fit my full face helmet with communicator in the saddlebags with no problems.  The Hondaline trunk will hold 2 full face helmets which is why I bought it in the first place. 

Archived