Vffr1200 For 4 Months Now

FlamingT

Hiya all

Thought I would drop in and say hello..

Have had my red (the fastest colour.!) Vffr for 4 months now after several years off the two wheeled steed. I can honestly say that I have loved every minute so far.

Looking forward to getting some hints and tips off you all as and when needed and maybe helping others with my limited knowledge.

Ride safe. :tour:

post-34912-0-64992900-1454341074.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome and you are absolutely right that red is in fact the fastest colour .... unless your wife is riding the blue and is over fifty pounds lighter, than not so much.

Thanks EhViffer...

fortunately, (or unfortunately), depending on your point of view... the wife isn't into bikes so I have to earn and save up my mileage points to be able to use at the weekends.. :biggrin:

Thanks Dutchy and hello from the other side of the North Sea.

• Member Contributer

Hi m8, great bike and lots of stuff you can add on to make it yours.

Any thoughts as to what you want to do?

I love the black accent change around the seat. I still have the silver pannel near the grab rails. What is the black on the bottom portion of the tank plastics? Really changes the look

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hi Flaming T and welcome to VFRD

I've only had mine three weeks and its only done 106 miles, so you're ahead of me, mine is the same faster Red colour though

A thanks buddy... Enjoy yours too

I love the black accent change around the seat. I still have the silver pannel near the grab rails. What is the black on the bottom portion of the tank plastics? Really changes the look

The black at the bottom of the tank is a Kevlar type guard against rubbing... I also have a tank pad protector that has VFR1200 scrolled in a triangular shape red on black.. Looks great and you can get them off eBay..... Look up 'Motografix'.

OEM parts added by previous owner include full luggage, wind deflectors around hands, adjustable touring screen and heated grips. I have added my old satnav and some power cables etc. Am looking to get a DAM exhaust at some point (if the wife allows ) and have just found some cheap replacement pillion hand grabs to put on when not using the top box. When needed, will upgrade the tyres to something with much better feel as the standard ones suck...

Ride safe.

Looking to change out the exhaust for a DAM and upgrade the tyres... Other than that, not to sure as I am not the best DIY'ist on the planet. The lights could do with upgrading but to get to them seems like a nightmare. Any suggestions?

The black at the bottom of the tank is a Kevlar type guard against rubbing... I also have a tank pad protector that has VFR1200 scrolled in a triangular shape red on black.. Looks great and you can get them off eBay..... Look up 'Motografix'.

OEM parts added by previous owner include full luggage, wind deflectors around hands, adjustable touring screen and heated grips. I have added my old satnav and some power cables etc. Am looking to get a DAM exhaust at some point (if the wife allows ) and have just found some cheap replacement pillion hand grabs to put on when not using the top box. When needed, will upgrade the tyres to something with much better feel as the standard ones suck...

Ride safe.

How are the hand guards and windshield? A bit pricey for OEM, but they're the only ones that I think look good for the bike. I'm 6'3", so wind is... Annoying

Ride safe.

How are the hand guards and windshield? A bit pricey for OEM, but they're the only ones that I think look good for the bike. I'm 6'3", so wind is... Annoying

Hand guards are perfect... You don't get any wind feel which keeps the fingers out of the big freeze.. I am 5'11 and the wind shield works great for me.. It creates a 'bow wave' over the top so I don't suffer with any buffeting at speeds greater than the legal limit. I was lucky enough to have had then fitted by the previous owner... Look on eBay, you may get some on the cheap.

• Member Contributer

Looking to change out the exhaust for a DAM and upgrade the tyres... Other than that, not to sure as I am not the best DIY'ist on the planet. The lights could do with upgrading but to get to them seems like a nightmare. Any suggestions?

Easiest option would be something like Osram Nightbreaker Plus or whatever the latest best standard bulb is. I used them for years, and they were great, but I've now fitted HiD Zenon bulbs to both my VFRs and whilst it's not a simple job, it was definitely worth it.

DAM cans are excellent and I'd highly recommend.

P1000841.JPG

There are loads of other things you can do, depends on your budget and your style of riding. You can see what I've done below but there's loads of other things too. Keep reading on here and you'll see what others have done & you can pick & choose.

Skids... your DAM can looks 'sweeeeeet'... you are a bad influence as I am now thinking of blowing the budget and deal with the fallout from the Wife afterwards. :unsure2:

Rear hugger is on the way (R&G)... luckily, I did invest in a abba stand, which is fantastic, so am confident that I can do the hugger myself. As for the lights... any hints/tips as to how you located the HiD's. I assume you had to remove the front fairing... if so, how did it go?

Any help is greatly appreciated :beer:

• Member Contributer

Skids... your DAM can looks 'sweeeeeet'... you are a bad influence as I am now thinking of blowing the budget and deal with the fallout from the Wife afterwards. :unsure2:

Rear hugger is on the way (R&G)... luckily, I did invest in a abba stand, which is fantastic, so am confident that I can do the hugger myself. As for the lights... any hints/tips as to how you located the HiD's. I assume you had to remove the front fairing... if so, how did it go?

Any help is greatly appreciated :beer:

Had to cut the bulb cable too & re-solder so it's not easy. I took the whole front off to gain access though there may be an easier way. There are threads on here about fitting full HiD with lenses that may help.

I bought the HiDs at the Bike Show but the company has since vanished (HiD City). I think you can still get them but don't know from where or how good they are.

Rear hugger is on the way (R&G)... luckily, I did invest in a abba stand, which is fantastic,

Did you get the Abba Skylift or just the super bike stand ?

I've recently got the Skylift its awesome

I see you are on the Bikers Oracle VFR forum as well I'm Gaffa22 on there

ha ha... Chanmenie / Gaffa22, i've been busted. :biggrin:. I also have the YouTube channel 'Flaming T', (picture of a 'T' in red flames on black background.... long story as to how I got the nickname 'Flaming T' but I do have the t-shirt..!), where I post the odd video ride outs.... just getting started on this as a bit of a hobby in making/editing videos.

I just have the bike stand which is good enough for my needs. Basic maintenance, cleaning and standing in the garage when not in use etc. such a simple solution. I did think about getting the Skylift but was a bit out of the price range for me and didn't think that I would use it for it's full potential.

• Member Contributer

Did you get the Abba Skylift or just the super bike stand ?

I've recently got the Skylift its awesome

Saw that at the bike show in Nov. Very nearly got one myself but then I have a traditional ramp in the garage & I quite like that so couldn't justify it.......yet.

I had a large traditional ramp but the hydraulic ram failed and was beyond repair so treated myself, the beauty of the Skylift is the tiny footprint compared to a ramp.

The awkward bit with the big VFR is holding the rear down to raise the front as there is nowhere suitable for the strap, So I'm designing something that will bolt onto the rear hub

• Member Contributer

I had a large traditional ramp but the hydraulic ram failed and was beyond repair so treated myself, the beauty of the Skylift is the tiny footprint compared to a ramp.

The awkward bit with the big VFR is holding the rear down to raise the front as there is nowhere suitable for the strap, So I'm designing something that will bolt onto the rear hub

They said that at the show, that it didn't fit the 1200.

Yes because there's no where obvious to fit the strap, I have raised the front by fitting the strap round the rear wheel, and by putting the strap over the swing arm just in front of the rear cowl.

But I think a bracket bolted to the wheel hub will be safest.

Archived