A Floppy Mirror Is A Sad Mirror. Can You Help To Fix Mr Floppy Mirror? [Fixed]

hellindustries

I have to re-tighten my mirrors every damn day. At the least. Every night i have to fold them in to fit through a narrow gate to park. They often work loose when riding or if they just feel like it.

For a while, it looked like replacing the bolts and adding a slightly thicker washer on both sides had fixed it, but both mirrors are back to flopping around.

Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

Ideas:

1. Add more washers to increase compression.
  2. Swap bolts for a longer (sleeved) bolt which sticks out of the bottom so that i can but a nylock nut on there. (maybe combine with idea #1)
  3. Get rid of the bolts, and use a bicycle quick-release bolt and lever.

The fix:
A split washer and a slightly longer bolt to accommodate the thickness of said washer.

• Member Contributer

If one looks at the oem fiche for the mirrors, there are washers above and below the center of the mirror mounts. They have different part numbers leading me to conclude that if the washers are not correct oem in the correct position, the friction changes and may result in loose mirrors. If, upon inspection, the washers are correct, perhaps cleaning or replacing them may correct the problem. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

No matter what, if you are folding the mirrors back with the screws tight, it will wear down and become loose again. Only thing to do is loosen them. Maybe figure out a way to keep the allen key handy somewhere on the dash, so you can loosen the bolt when folding the mirrors. Some velcro or one of the screwdriver holders fixed somewhere.

No matter what, if you are folding the mirrors back with the screws tight, it will wear down and become loose again. Only thing to do is loosen them. Maybe figure out a way to keep the allen key handy somewhere on the dash, so you can loosen the bolt when folding the mirrors. Some velcro or one of the screwdriver holders fixed somewhere.

I'm currently doing this. I have an allen key on my house keys (to avoid having it on the bike keys and scratching the bike) - I tighten them every morning but they still loosen on even very short rides under 10 miles.

I may try not moving them, see how that works out. I'll just have to be very careful moving through the gate, or maybe get those quick release bolts i mentioned.

• Member Contributer

The quick release would likely cut down on the wear. No matter how tight, the friction that keeps them in place will eventually wear away material and they're just not going to stay put. If you do a Google search on "quick release bolt", there are numerous hits and options available for more than bicycles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=quick+release+bolt&biw=1366&bih=656&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI25GfxcftyAIVgu4mCh2ABAvc

• Member Contributer

I did option #2 on my Y2k-equipped FP. It works okay. LHS works better, because the direction of the thread means that folding the mirror in doesn't tend to tighten the mirror bolt. The RHS mirror doesn't like to be folded!

Ciao,

Archived