You got me curious about swapping springs so I just went out in the garage and disassembled my original VFR shock. Here's the measurements:

post-34030-0-69158600-1450070585.jpgpost-34030-0-11577000-1450070612.jpgpost-34030-0-60087600-1450070637.jpg

Looks like the base is approx 2mm wider than the top of spring, and definitely within that range you were looking for. What do you think?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for this Nifty. I think it looks promising - at least from a fitment perspective.

The top of the ZX spring has an ID of 54.61mm - but only needs to clear the diameter of the top collet - which is 53.4mm. So it looks like it would be a good fit.

The bottom of the ZX spring has an ID of 58.32mm but only needs to clear the inner plastic sleeve which is ~56MM at the base (but could be shaved down - or possibly removed altogether). So that looks good too.

Would you be able to do a quick measurement of the VFR's spring length? I think it would be fine. Based on the length of the ZX's threaded section - it would need to be longer that 165mm (6.5") to be held (with ~3mm preload).

Also, I'd love to know how to disassemble the stock VFR shock. Does it require a spring compressor?

Chris

• Member Contributer

The spring free length is mentioned in the Service Manual on p. 1-13:

'90-'91: 195.3 mm (7.69")

'92-'93: 184.8 mm (7.28")

Edit: 16 kg/mm times 20-25 mm (13 mm preload + 7-12 mm to be able to remove the spring seat) = 320-400 kg of force required.

Also, I'd love to know how to disassemble the stock VFR shock. Does it require a spring compressor?

Chris

Hey Chris, sorry I missed this yesterday. .. a spring compressor would make it quick & easy, but I used my shop press:

post-34030-0-45643400-1450213549.jpg

Arbor plates to seat the base of the spring, the spring over-hangs enough to get a good purchase on the plates:

post-34030-0-86407400-1450213756.jpg

...from here you can access the bolt directly or you can shim the base to hold it up so you can take it out of the press and disassemble it on the workbench:

post-34030-0-40526000-1450214026.jpg

*** Not for the feint of heart. I recommend getting a good spring compressor, most auto stores loan them out for free or small fee.

• Member Contributer

Chris

Hey Chris, sorry I missed this yesterday. .. a spring compressor would make it quick & easy, but I used my shop press:

*** Not for the feint of heart. I recommend getting a good spring compressor, most auto stores loan them out for free or small fee.

Hey Nifty, thank you for putting this in the post to let folks who may not be as experienced know the safer low cost alternative...

:fing02::beer:

OK - I've pulled the ZX shock from my bike and have fitted the original (93) spring from my VFR.

It appears to be a perfect fit on all measures. And when I say that - I just mean that the VFR spring fits exactly like the ZX spring.The VFR spring even has the slight taper at the top.

IMG 0797

IMG 0799

IMG 0811

IMG 0813

This is the level of preload I`m going to apply....

IMG 0810

Thank you Nifty for discovering this rear shock option and doing all the leg work for us. AWESOME work!

Thank you downic71 for taking up the baton and determining the original VFR spring is a perfect swap onto the ZX14 shock. Also AWESOME! Now I think this combination will perform well with no mod to the dogbone. Wow! I can't wait for more feedback after installation.

You guys have given us all a great Christmas gift.

Cheers,

Glenn

So the bike is back together with the hybrid ZX/VFR shock.

The softness issue is gone altogether - the rear end moves up and down like it used to - but now with the benefit of proper damping!

The one thing I do notice is that the seat height is slightly lower that with the original shock. This might actually be of benefit to some riders who would prefer a lower seat height. However, it also makes the bike stand-up more when on the side stand - bringing it quite close to vertical. It wouldn't take much of a push (wind) to make it tip over on the other side.

I don't know if the dog-bone hole adjustment would address the height / side-stand issue (?)

Other than that - it seems to work well.

• Member Contributer

So the bike is back together with the hybrid ZX/VFR shock.

The one thing I do notice is that the seat height is slightly lower that with the original shock. ...

I don't know if the dog-bone hole adjustment would address the height / side-stand issue (?)

Dude... how tall are you?

.... or how low is your bike?

Looks like you have 6" between you and the seat when straddling the bike...

This is AWESOME !!! Nice addition Chris !! This allows the mod to keep it's prestigious "ultra-budget-friendly" status, while now providing an extra option for heavier riders, or those who want to retain the factory spring rate. It's amazing what can happen when we stop blowing smoke and start working, lol. Thank you for sharing your results in detail.

I would say you still need to mod the bone to correct the height, seeing how tall you are, and yes that will most def correct the kickstand as well. I'm working on another option for those who don't want to mod the link. Thanks to you, I'm really intrigued about using the factory spring, so I ordered another ZX shock to play around with. Will update soon with some new info!

All credit to you Nifty - thanks for conceiving of this mod and for taking the time to document the process so that the rest of us can take advantage of this low-cost option.

I'm certainly going to need to modify the dog bone and raise the rear end. Will likely be in-touch to get some advice on where best to position the new hole; from your video it doesn't look like it needs to move very far. Although, I'm going to hold-off until I hear what other options you're exploring...

In the meantime - it looks like riding weather has returned to Toronto!

Capture

Possible alternative to modding the dogbone. . . swap in a 1986 - 87' VFR700/750 dogbone.

They are nearly identical, except for the length. The 86' is actually a better build quality. The 1987's on up look like the RC36-1 pictured. The style change was for weight saving only, the dimensions are the same for 86' to 87'.

post-34030-0-01404300-1451362797.jpg

post-34030-0-46053200-1451362826.jpg

post-34030-0-52281300-1451362840.jpg

post-34030-0-82149900-1451362873.jpg

post-34030-0-99830100-1451362917.jpg

post-34030-0-29251100-1451362930.jpg

post-34030-0-07767700-1451362941.jpg

post-34030-0-96772800-1451362969.jpg

Another great discovery!

Nifty - how does the 22mm difference in hole position compare with the modification you made to your original link?

Is it likely to end-up Higher / lower / same?

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, mine's in bits ready for the swap. Exhaust getting some much needed maintenance too.

Got dogbone off ready to mod as the shock length is quite a bit shorter than the original one. Is there a definitive distance for new holes from existing ones? I can't see anyone elses pics on this thread for some reason :s

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

• Member Contributer

I didn't see the ZX14R's shock length or stroke length listed anywhere.  According to Ohlins, the OEM stroke length for the RC36-I is 57mm (and shock length is 345mm). 

The normal way to fit a shorter shock than stock is to lengthen the shock, a la Jamie Daugherty's 929 shock modification.  But the stroke is also important--the closer to stock the better.

Shortening the shock linkage is an effective way to raise ride height (and lengthening it lowers the bike), but I'm not so sure that is the best way to compensate for a shorter shock.  I suspect a shorter shock would also have a shorter stroke, which means that you could be asking the shock to work outside of its design parameters (depending on the effect of the shortened linkage).  Has Jamie commented about this?

OTOH, if you're replacing a completely knackered OEM shock, this might be just the ticket. 

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

As for the not seeing of pictures, the site is undergoing a rebuild and the issue of non-showing pictures has been identified.

so it is not just you :-)

either this is fixed systemically or each poster edits each of his posts.

cheers

55 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

As for the not seeing of pictures, the site is undergoing a rebuild and the issue of non-showing pictures has been identified.

so it is not just you :-)

either this is fixed systemically or each poster edits each of his posts.

cheers

Yeah, still can't see anyone elses pics on here. It's a bit of a pain tbh, some of them would be a big help about now.

Archived