Last night I massaged a 2012 ZX14R rear shock into my 1990 RC36. I expected an easy, cheap improvement over my 25 y/o stock Showa, however, preliminary testing is proving to be far, far better than even I anticipated. It feels like the rear shock from the big Kawasaki beast was built for the early model viffer, giving it a dominant stance, and as an unforeseen bonus it breathed new life into my bone stock front end.
I originally intended to post this up only after a thorough test period (at least 1000 miles, pushing it under various conditions), but I'll save that for an update now because it looks and feels so good that I got anxious to share. So keep in mind that this experimental, and for the moment should only be attempted by those who have a basic understanding of suspension systems and those who are comfortable with simple to intermediate level modifications. I believe this could be a new serious option for those who want a "budget friendly" suspension upgrade that will provide the look, handling, and adjustability of a high-end custom shop setup. These legendary 3rd gens aren't getting any younger, and it's getting harder and harder to find decent (read: affordable) aftermarket support. Soon it will be a necessity to improvise upgrades and fixes for the whole damn bike, but that's what I really like about owning one ;) How about you?

.post-34030-0-54464100-1445816450.jpgpost-34030-0-57015400-1445816551.jpgpost-34030-0-08761000-1445816579.jpgpost-34030-0-21404700-1445817064.jpgpost-34030-0-10832800-1445817153.jpg

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Welcome to the Board. Your first post certainly knocked the ball out of the park.

I would be very interested with any follow up reports and conclusions for this mod.

I compared pics of your bike with my stock 91 I had in England using the passenger pegs as a datum and you bike seems substantially higher in the rear compared to stock. This would have decreased the trail by some amount, obviously not sure how much without measurements, but you report improved handling overall. Yes, would be very interested in further reports. All of us with older VFR's eventually will have to bite the shock "bullet" at some point if we keep our bikes and having an off the shelf option would be a great benefit.

Thanks for the kind words FM, and yes you're very observant... it's sitting around 1 inch over stock height. There's quite a few shocks that will fit well enough for a fairly easy swap, but I chose the big Ninja zx14 because I believe it most closely aligns with 3rd gen specs and performance features, they (the zx14 and the vfr750) are actually very similar geometrically. I will be testing other shocks as well, I've got an "A" list of good swap candidates, mostly newer (2008 - 2015) and readily available on eBay. There's no shortage of folks upgrading their brand new and like new super sports with the latest "high tech" aftermarket custom race offerings, thus plenty of unbelievable pickings for $50 - $150 online. Tell ya, what most of them folks don't appreciate is the fact that many of these modern "factory" rear shocks are actually better than the "custom race shocks" of the not too distant past !

Nifty

No more than a half-day job for a slow and steady grease monkey, all things considered. Figure on an easy weekend for the common enthusiast who ain't skeered to go in balls deep! I will try to make an instructional video this week and post it up on YouTube. 2 simple modifications to the shock, 1 to the linkage (link mod not necessary and easily reversable but I wanted to play around with it, some folks might like it better without the link mod). My only cost was for the shock itself.

Nifty

Very interesting. Does the shock reservoir not interfere with the battery box?

And Welcome to VFRD Bill,

Jeroen.

It's tight but no, battery fits fine, although I may move the starter relay over a little, not sure yet... I just uploaded a video to YouTube:

Nifty

Just took out the original one and replaced with the ZX14 shock? No machining works? How much did that raise the bike?

Just uploaded a video... more info..

This looks like an interesting idea down the road. Do you plan on changing out the front shocks at some point too?

The forks have been maintained properly, fresh oil and seals, they suffice for the time being. I will eventually change the springs but not until after I settle on a definite rear shock, probably after another 10k miles or so..

WELCOME and I cant wait until you buy a 6th gen .

Thanks bro, funny you mentioned that..... I was a frog's hair from jumping the trigger on a jet black 2006 a few months ago. Man that bike looked nice and the price was right.

[i just uploaded a video to YouTube:

And that video also answers the next question I was about to ask: the modification of the dog bone :fing02:

I have an aftermarket shock fitted, a very basic shock, just newer and serviceable unlike the OEM shock. Curious if the S1000RR shock will fit too.

I believe the litre Beemer shock will work well. I've been following a few on eBay, will snag one soon and give it a go. After digging up all the info I needed to form a solid list of highly probable swaps, and crunching all the hieroglyphics, I'm convinced that the Zx14r (or ZZR 1400 if you prefer) is very likely the best suited candidate for the 1990 - 1993 VFR750. My conclusion is based on the specs and design parameters, engineering compatibility, and intended usage. I'll upload another video explaining why it edged out the s1000rr shock, granted that's a desktop analysis only (actual on-bike testing may prove otherwise). Here's a spoiler, I've rated the 2010 - 2011 s1000rr rear shock a close second, followed by the 2008 - 2010 Ninja zx10r coming in third place.

I'll try to post another video tonight, I need to get in the workshop and tighten up that battery tray (haven't touched it since last vid) . . .

Hey Bill,

Welcome. I love what you're doing here. Unbelievable that a 21st century shock from a different manufacturer would bolt right up like that 23 years later! Awesome!

So, here's what I see. You drilled the hole in the lower linkage a little bit forward of the original one to raise the ride height a bit with the original shock. That was certainly clever. It also shortened the front end geometry a bit that would have sharpened turn in response, I'm sure. However, is it still stable at high speed? I'm getting to a point here.

It looks to me like you won't be able to use that original hole in the lower linkage because doing so would bring the reservoir into contact with the battery box. Now, if it was just barely contacting it, would that restrict swingarm travel or cause damage to the battery box and maybe the battery? Now, I wonder, is there enough adjustment in that shock to lower the ride height while leaving the lower end mounted in the new forward hole? Of course, these questions are moot if there is no loss of stability with the extra inch of ride height. If that's the case, then the biggest thing will be to aim the headlights higher! :fing02:

I'm already watching one of those shocks!

Thanks,

Glenn

This is fantastic stuff, thanks so much for posting up such a good set of videos. I've been looking for a solution to this for years.

Quick question, if i fit one of these to my rc36/1 do I have to do the dogbone bolt hole mod, or will it fit the old ones ok and still clear everything?

Many thanks again, this is excellent stuff.

Hi Bill - thanks for the info: very interesting... looking forward to seeing what mods you had to do to the shock mounts.

One question to add to everyone else's: the dog bone length reduction looks like you've reduced the length by at least 20mm or so. This surprises me - I thought (based on recent research and info from Rosso) that the ratio between dog-bone length and swingarm height / ride height was of the order of 20:1 (i.e. shorten the dog bone by 1mm you get 20mm difference in ride height).

Clearly though that can't be the case, because you used this mod with the original shock, and I presume the rear ride height didn't increase by approx. 400mm? :unsure:

Ha, in the video you mention the Ninja 636 schock. I also looked into a ninja shock: a 600 K1 model but never was able to find some good measurements of it. Just from eyeballing it looked close to a stcok 3rd gen schock.

• Member Contributer

Welcome aboard!

I am watching this with interest b/c I have a 3rd gen "in the works" and an upgraded rear shock is on my to do list for this winter.

For your next video, can you say "Fuck you Lahey"...you sound a lot like a younger version of Ricky from Trailer Park Boys!!

Also, are the ZZR shocks the same throughout the years? I've seen a 2014 one for cheap.

Welcome to VFRD!

Great instructional videos and wonderful work on the rear shock swap(s).

Could you explain the exhaust setup shown in the pictures? What is the small bit attached to the collector box and does it provide any silencing?

Best regards, blackdot/Tom

Welcome to VFRD!

Great instructional videos and wonderful work on the rear shock swap(s).

Could you explain the exhaust setup shown in the pictures? What is the small bit attached to the collector box and does it provide any silencing?

Best regards, blackdot/Tom

I'm guessing "no" :)

Hey Bill,

Welcome. I love what you're doing here. Unbelievable that a 21st century shock from a different manufacturer would bolt right up like that 23 years later! Awesome!

So, here's what I see. You drilled the hole in the lower linkage a little bit forward of the original one to raise the ride height a bit with the original shock. That was certainly clever. It also shortened the front end geometry a bit that would have sharpened turn in response, I'm sure. However, is it still stable at high speed? I'm getting to a point here.

It looks to me like you won't be able to use that original hole in the lower linkage because doing so would bring the reservoir into contact with the battery box. Now, if it was just barely contacting it, would that restrict swingarm travel or cause damage to the battery box and maybe the battery? Now, I wonder, is there enough adjustment in that shock to lower the ride height while leaving the lower end mounted in the new forward hole? Of course, these questions are moot if there is no loss of stability with the extra inch of ride height. If that's the case, then the biggest thing will be to aim the headlights higher! :fing02:

I'm already watching one of those shocks!

Thanks,

Glenn

Hi Glenn, those are excellent questions, I love to see folks thinking! That bike is a high speed MONSTER, I routinely touch 150 mph, with acceptable stability and handling. Now that was with the original shock, mind you, and there are numerous reasons why the bike handled the way it did. I will post up more about that later. The ride height with the 2nd hole drilled in the bone, is about 1.5 - 2 inches (or 40 - 50 mm) over stock height, with the original VFR rear shock installed. With the ZZR-1400 rear shock I'm now approximately 1 - 1.5 inches (25 - 35 mm) over stock height, linked into the 2nd hole. The new height feels much better, although the new rear end would probably feel much better at any height :) You could definitely use the original hole in the dog link without any adverse contact (actually, it would prob fit better). I will do a video explaining this more thoroughly (think geometrically, pivot (swing) points, also the range of motion of the link (direction). Your question on lowering the shock; there's a bit it will go, one way or the other, but to address your real question, yes the handling is superb at that height. Now that does not mean it's for everyone, it does get a bit top heavy so one needs to adapt their riding accordingly. Anyone under 5'10" or lightweight individuals would struggle with the bike at that height (unless you put some motocross forks on it)

Hi!

thank you for sharing this with us, this is helping a lot! :D

Would this mod work with a rc36 II too?

Hi, glad you're enjoying the thread. The Zx-14r shock is not easily compatible with the 4th gens, it would require more comprehensive modifications. There are other options for the 4th gens though.

·

Archived