New Vfr Owner New Vfr Project

fonque

Last night I finally pulled the trigger on a 1998 VFR. I have never owned one before but have been lusting after these for the better part of 4 years

I picked this one up for $1650 and it need some work!

this is going to be my new baby to breathe some new life into.

Every body panel on the bike has damage except the tail piece. Every panel is a different shade of red. The tank has nice shiney paint on it but it has 2 tiny dents on the left side. The bike has been down at least 2 times that I know of. The windscreen is yellowing and cloudy. The seat has a tear in it covered with mustache duct tape. I also found that either right fork or right caliper is leaking all over the rotor in the front.

The previous owner commuted every day to work on this bike and did no work on it except for oil changes. The previous owner also had the charging system serviced which I have paperwork for.

The bike rides well, no weird noises shakes or wobbles, the engine idles smooth and fire immediately even when cold. I will be trolling this board quite a bit, so just introducing myself.

My first question though is there anything on the bike I should check that isnt immediately apparent from a ride or a quick visual inspection? I have not had a chance to get the fairings off yet. Any tips appreciated!

post-34262-0-25461300-1444340533.jpg

post-34262-0-20428800-1444340536.jpg

post-34262-0-58197900-1444340549.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard Fonque! (I see what you did there)

Although you mentioned that the charging system "serviced", I would give it the once over just in case. To me this means taking off the fairings and giving the wiring and connectors a good look over if not, cleaning (connectors) and for sure test the Stator and R/R for good measure. Other than that, check the usual suspects for excessive wear/age, i.e. Chain, Brake pads, tires, fork seals, etc.. Also check the head bearings, front wheel bearings and rear axle bearings for any excessive play or "notchy" feeling when turning/rotating.

• Member Contributer

It's also probably worth having a look at the chain for proper adjustment, binding links, missing O-rings or other signs it's near the end of its life. The sprocket teeth should be symmetrical and have a squared off tip, rather than looking like shark's teeth.

Just change the oil, and ride the piss out of it. Would not hurt to check the axle nuts/wheel lugs, and change the brake fluid. Maybe the coolant as well.

I had some of the hard to get to coolant lines split on mine(PITA)repair.

Of all the repairs that need to be done and checked over, the cooling system is the one I like the least. I can never manage to work on the cooling system without making a damn mess.

I just ordered my first set of parts, chinese fairing kit, smoked taillights and turn signals, and a new windshield. Next up, grips and exhaust.

Does anyone know where to look for a solo rear seat cowl? I have read that the chinese ebay ones are junk, but I cannot locate an OEM one anywhere.

Pull the plastics off and ensure that the recently serviced charging system includes a proper mosfet Shindengen RR and not Chinese or shunt garbage.

If the RR doesnt say SH775, FH012, FH014,or FH020 .... FH0xx etc, take it off, throw it in the trash and buy a modern shindengen RR

Also check if there is a connection in between the rr and stator, if there is, cut it out, throw it in the trash and solder across. These are a known failure point on the VFR and mainly any bike.

Check the resting/idle/5000 rpm voltage to make sure it is with in spec

You have a 1998 VFR800. They are the pinnacle of Honda reliability. The only thing you have to worry about on these bikes is a shitty factory charging system and shitty electrical connections on various components. (which you usually don't have to worry about if the bike has been garage kept and properly maintained it's whole life)

nope this bike was not properly garage kept until the last owner got it. He only had this bike for 3 years. The charging system was serviced by a honda powersports dealer just over 3 years ago. I have the receipts from the previous owner. But I still plan on checking it out once I get some time to tear the fairings off.

I have a honda CX500 that has been taking up most of my time the last couple of weeks.

Honda Supplied RR's are garbage. Honda never fitted the 5th or 6th gen VFR800 with a modern RR. Take that RR off and throw in trash. Buy a new RR from www.roadstercycle.com and test out the stator.

When stator and RR are good, cut out stator to rr connection and solder across. Since the bike lived outside, take all electrical connections apart, clean and inspect them and put back together.

Common failure points are:

Main Fuse

Big Blue Connector

Big Grey Connector

Stator to RR connector

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to work on the bike for the first time today. I decided to tackle the forks which were a corroded mess. I ultimately failed because I am going to have to drill out the hex bolts in the bottom of each fork. I couldn't get them out even with an impact wrench. I am also going to have to buy all new plastic push in clips because the ones on the bike were very very wrong. Some one installed the type used on cars where you have to use pliers to squeeze the backside to pull them out. I just cut them out.

Parking lot mechanic extraordinaire

20151024_160420.jpg

This is the mess i found under the dust seal on each fork.

20151024_175328.jpg

I also found this weird white plastic card screwed into the back side of the fairing near the right turnsignal.

20151024_210210.jpg

• Member Contributer

As far as the charging system on the 98 VFR I can attest to the fryability of the RR and the stator. I finally broke down and replace the battery, RR, Stator and crimp, nolox, splice and liquid electrical tape in place of the Honda wire connectors. Installed a VFRness as well. No issues since. Sorry to hear about the under fork damper rod bolts giving you fits. I turn mine upside down and compress them then undo the bolts and it has never failed me. Same to tighten them. Set up your suspension sag as best you can. If you are in the 175lb range the suspension should work ok. It's as solid an all arounder as you can buy stock, so I would go slow and research low cost solutions to modding it. After market seat and a tuned suspension -1 tooth of the front sprocket and you are good.

Archived