Interesting Sound During Deceleration?

Magsz

Heya guys,

Let me preface this by saying im new to motorcycles. Ive been riding less than a year and my only other experience was a 2015 FZ07 which i sold to get my 2007 VFR800.

So, here is the gist of what is going on.

Upon deceleration, clutch IN, downshifting from second to first, there appears to be an "unwinding" style of nose coming from the bike somewhere as i cruise to a complete stop. It almost sounds like the Millennium Falcon and its failed hyperspace drive.

I cannot locate the origin of the noise but i sounds like something is unwinding and there is a metal on metal rubbing sound.

I tried to get video today but it is pretty darned hard doing it off of the bike and i have no way of capturing video while i am ON the bike, nor do i think a go-pro would pick anything up.

The bike seems to be functioning absolutely fine but the sound is a little disconcerting.

Any thoughts on this?

I also notice some kind of soft whining noise whenever I clutch in my first gear.

The noise totally disappear once I clutch out. The funny thing is i don't get the noise when i clutch in for the rest of the gears,it just happens when i was coasting in my first gear with clutch disengage.

• Member Contributer

I get this as well when rolling to a stop and downshifting to 1st. The gears are staight cut and are going to make a bit of noise. It's nothing to worry about.

• Member Contributer

I trust engine oil level is correct... You might be hearing the normal whine between the straight cut gears of the main shaft and counter shaft...

gearbox_transdrive1.jpg

Engine oil level is fine.

I simply dont know what i dont know which is why i figured i would ask. Im sure its just as you guys said, ie the whine of the gears. If i can get a video of the actual sound, i will immediately post it to confirm!

My 07 does it even while accelerating in first gear. Quite pronounced. My 03 never did.

I don't like it but have had no real mechanical issues.

Not chain as have replaced chain n sprocks n no difference.

Oil changes do show a bit more metal shavings than buddies' VFRs but still no issues... Just the whining like a car in reverse.

Only in first gear far as I can tell

Archived