• Member Contributer

The current home page pic of the cop car behind a VFR along a roadway and the circumstances that resulted in the release of the rider without a ticket made me wonder how many of us experienced some form of "Lucky Day" on our bikes.

One of my favorites also occurred in Wyoming. I was about 12 cars back in a construction zone. We were being held up by the nice lady with the STOP/SLOW sign. It became apparent that we were being diverted from a temporary detour back on to a newly paved stretch of highway in the middle of nowhere. She happened to notice me back in the pack and waved me to the front - at least that's what I hoped she was doing as I eased up through the pack toward her. She told me that she thought I should be the first to christen the new stretch, about 15 miles, of brand new pavement. While it was a long straight-ish segment, The "Follow Me" truck was carrying an exceptional pace and after we were all under way, he waved me past him and I enjoyed being the first man to rip a new path across the prairie.

Fresh Ride

• Member Contributer

Pulled over twice this year and released. Once because he was after someone else(got it on video) and the other was a friend that told me to SLOW DOWN.

• Member Contributer

I called in a DUI that turned out to be a woman who was extremely sick and not DUI. Within an month I was pulled over three times for excessive speed and given a warning each time. The third time the officer said "This is your last warning. We've been letting you pass due to the fact that you reported the DUI, but that's it!".

• Member Contributer

On the way back from SumSum2 in eastern CO, I stopped to get gas then headed out on the 55 mph speed limited two-lane toward the next town, 13 miles away . I was cruising along just fine, well focused on the road and trying to calculate my gas mileage to the 1/10 in my head. I came upon the only other car I saw about half way to the next town. I made a quick and clean pass then continued on my way. I came to the stop sign at the edge of the next town and automatically checked my mirrors, not wanting to out-brake anyone behind me.

WTF! There was a police car with red and blue roof top lights ablaze right behind me. I made a helmet-slap movement of my head and pulled over right away. While the officer was positioning his squad at a 90 degree angle to the road to protect us, I dismounted and took my helmet off.

The officer emerged from his car with a big grin on his face and asked me how I was doin'? I told him I was a little chagrined that I had not seen him behind me and explained about the focus and computations. I asked him how long he was back there; he said since the last town. He explained that "I was doing fine until I passed that car at 85mph.... and I finished his sentence for him.... "and I never slowed down". While talking I got out my license and handed it to him. He gave it a cursory glance, handed it back to me with a chuckle and said "Slow down a little" and let me go.

Grins all around. :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Does not hitting the guy in front of me who smacked a deer count? Luckily i changed lanes just before he hit the deer.

Dodging the bow wave of carnage that evening was Hugely Fortunate. Glad you were there for me pal.

Toronto to Boston. Ferrying a K1200RS I bought used. A 'new' bike w/763 miles and nasty scratches atop the windshield and tail rack. A small ragged hole punched through the frame side rail, between the peg and seat. Totaled by the insurance company. A high rate of fuel consumption demanded stopping at nearly every other plaza on I-90. I was making good time but was quite bored w/Thruway riding. I got off in Albany, NY and headed for route 2, to run over the mountain going East. Once on the other side normal traffic nearing I-91 worsened. When I got onto 91 for a short sprint North, one exit, I just turned it on, knowing the exit ramp was worth 80 to a buck, if clean. I came off the ramp and there were 3 MA State Troopers w/ hand guns clocking me. I managed to stop b4 reaching the 1st one. He called to the others, asking what they clocked. It averaged out to 92. Plus I learned my license had expired; a felony in MA. My bike was towed. I rode in the tow truck, hard bags on my lap. The driver says; 'When we get to the shop kill some time in the diner. Those guys are all going home for dinner. P/up the bike and ride home. I did that. I went to the county court (3 pcs. suit and brief case), to speak on my behalf. the place was near full of guys in orange jump suits, hand cuffs and ankle chains. A NY State Trooper asked me to ID myself and; "What do you want to do about this summons?" I had shown him proof of a valid license. The clerk and Trooper settled on $65.00 for not having my license in possession! The exit ramp speed limit was 30 m/h. some days are better than others. R3~

• Member Contributer

Toronto to Boston........... The clerk and Trooper settled on $65.00 for not having my license in possession! The exit ramp speed limit was 30 m/h. some days are better than others. R3~

92 in a 30, a tow, and then not having to phone for another way home, all for only $65?

>>>THAT<<< is a good day.

I have been released with a warning after being clocked at 62 in a 40 in my SUV. I was also able to stop where he was hiding after I saw the red-n-blues light up on his motorcycle. He said that since he didn't have to move, he would be nice. 92 in a 30 is even better.

• Member Contributer

When I went down to Laguna Seca in 07 There were four of us riding down, me on my 94 vfr, an 02 vfr, ducati s4s & a FZ09. At one point in California the FZ & I took off, after awhile I looked down at my speedo 120, then in my mirror saw some lights a way back pulled into the right lane, FZ was still going...Cop wizzed by me and up a bit further he had pulled over the FZ . As I passed he motioned me over, by the time I turned around he had the ST4 was over also. I got my helmet off & was walking toward the officer, thinking to myself the bikes are getting impounded & we are getting arrested missing the races, then he asked me "didn't I see you here last year" No sir I replied, he already had the other guys licenses ( who were brothers 55 & 58 years old) He told us to slow it down and let us go. Our friend on the 02 VFR had went by while being blocked by a truck on the inside lane. When we finally met up we told him not to get pulled over because we threw him under the bus, thats why we were let go! After awhile we came clean but it was funny watching him squirm a little. That was a memorable trip....

On the 2002 Snowy Ride (an annual charity event Down Under) a half dozen of us OzVFR types were belting along the fastest part of the Snowy Mountains Highway - between Kiandra and Yarrangobilly on the high plains with almost perfect long distance visibility. It's where my sig pic was taken - in fact that pic was taken after the event I am about to describe.

You could literally go as fast as a VFR can go, for 20-30 minutes... so, we were... :cool:

I was out front, and spotted a shimmering white shape in the distance that my instincts told me could only be one thing. Visibility was terrific, you could see for 2-3km, hence our pace, but that sort of terrain is also perfect for radar.

Sure enough, it was a marked Highway Patrol Commodore. My speed when I saw him had been north of $2.20, no point braking hard but I gave the rear brake a few quick taps to alert the guys and girls behind me and rolled off, as did they. By the time we were about to pass each other I was down to $1.40.

He hadn't turn on his lights or flashed his headlights, which had me wondering, and as we got closer I saw his hand pumping up and down in the universal 'slow down!' gesture... hmmm... are we busted or not? I gave him a thumbs up and continued at $1.40, watching the mirrors - and we never saw him again.

I was on my '02 CBR1100XX and my buddy was on his brand new '04 CBR1000RR. We were flying in formation at a very spirited pace on the "fast side" Palomar Mountain, when a San Diego Sheriff's Helo came out of nowhere from our left at just over tree top level. The deputy in the right seat was waving his finger at us

We stopped asap under some trees to hide / figure out what to do. They didn't circle back, so we proceeded with caution. Thankfully no CHP in sight!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

As long as they don't track us with satellites from space. Summons shows up in your mail box. Then life would truly become boring. (hope I'm not giving anyone ideas)

As long as they don't track us with satellites from space. Summons shows up in your mail box. Then life would truly become boring. (hope I'm not giving anyone ideas)

Either that, or they'll ban motorcycles "for our own safety"

I was on my '02 CBR1100XX and my buddy was on his brand new '04 CBR1000RR. We were flying in formation at a very spirited pace on the "fast side" Palomar Mountain, when a San Diego Sheriff's Helo came out of nowhere from our left at just over tree top level. The deputy in the right seat was waving his finger at us

We stopped asap under some trees to hide / figure out what to do. They didn't circle back, so we proceeded with caution. Thankfully no CHP in sight!

Getting busted by a helo is pretty impressive :fing02:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1904photography/4066484173

***not my photo, but they're up there***

I also think they were having fun too. I am not sure on the forward air speed capability of that helo, but he was hauling ass to intercept us. He came from over our left shoulders and was banking hard to the right. If the deputy in the right seat didn't have his harness on, he may have fallen out. It was really cool and scary at the same time because I thought he was pulling us over and would have CHP there ASAP. It's pretty much an unwritten rule on Palomar, that as long as one doesn't cross double yellows, CHP doesn't mind speed.

I've enjoyed all of your stories and I think these are a small example of what non-riders / ant-riders are missing when they try to understand why two -wheelers are such a brotherhood. I look back at my first encounter with an LEO on a bike. I was 25 and purchased a year old '99 CBR600F4 in the Honda Red / Black. I had been riding for a couple of months and thought I heard a rattle at high RPMs. I was holding it high in first gear off of a stop sign, really trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. I gave up, shifted to 2nd and eased off of the throttle. There was a motor officer putting his radar gun down coming to get me. Similar to an earlier story, I pulled right up to him and he didn't have to move. He asked me if I knew the speed limit, then for my license and insurance. He then complimented me on wearing gear, then "sweet bike, where'd you get it? Me: "Temecula Motor Sports". Him: " Cool, they work on our bikes. Slow it down and be safe." I still appreciate that influence on a new rider!

Archived