New Guy From Texas

Hey guys, I'm currently riding a BMW F650CS in the Austin area but I'm looking to sell it and buy a 5th or 6th gen VFR800. I'm not sure which one I want yet so I'll be here reading up on both before I decide.

I had to look up that BMW since I am not familiar with it. It's... interesting.

Now, as for which VFR to go with between the 5th or 6th gen, I have to be honest, I am biased. I find the 5th gen to be the better bike. But there are some compelling features to the 6th gen. The 5th gen is looking pretty dated by today standards, but it is still a damn good looking bike. The 6th gen is still a sexy bike. The linked brakes are good on the 5th gen, but linked brakes with ABS on the 6th gen are so much better. You can of course get stainless brake lines for the 5th gen and that will help. Matter of fact, since the 5th gens are now 14 years old, it's probably a good idea to replace those old rubber hoses anyways. The exhaust on the 6th gen is so good looking, but it is heavy as hell and takes up all the space under the tail. That means your R/R is up in the front with the engine heat. It is laid out better on the 5th gen. Both gen's have shitty charging systems and will beefed up if it hasn't been done yet. Tires and wheels are identical so you don't have to worry about outdated tires on the 5th gen, you can run any modern tire you want. Both bikes are on the easier side to wrench on, but the 5th is easier IMO.

I think everything above are things that everyone will agree with, now here comes the bias. I don't like the VTEC of the 6th gen. I found the bike to be completely souless prior to VTEC engagement. In order for me to feel "inspired" on my old 2007, I had to wring it's neck. On my 5th gen, I felt like I was riding an exotic just pulling into a parking lot! The motor of the 5th gen still has the gear driven cams and there is no waiting for the power after 6K rpm. The 6th gen does have OEM luggage, but now that I have had both, I think I prefer the Givi for ruggedness and being lighter. Exhaust options on the 5th gen are going to be cheaper. The suspension on the 6th gen is also marginally better, but everyone agrees that suspension uprgades are important on either bike.

Either way you go, you will be getting a good bike. But if I were to choose between the two, I would go for a 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

Married man makes some good points and I agree with what he's said. In fact on both my 5&6 Gens I've put steel braided lines, upgraded the suspension and added aftermarket exhaust. However, I did chose to make my 6 Gen my commuter/tourer and my 5 Gen my "play bike". I think for me the RPMs under the VTEC engagement point, seem to be suited for cruising or slabbing it and the RPMs above that are for when you want to "play". The 5 Gen I feel has a more sporty feel throughout its entire RPM range and thus does really well for the sport bike role.

Either bike has good ergonomics so whether it's commuting/touring or having fun on twisty roads, you can do it on either bike without feeling you were put on the rack. For me, the 5 Gen is fine in stock trim but for the 6 Gen I did add aftermarket goodies to provide slightly better ergonomics, I.e. Heli-bars, Sargent Seat, GIVI touring windscreen but only because time in the saddle was going to be longer when I ride this bike and I wanted just a little more comfort than the stock setup offered.

Ironically I am getting better gas mileage out of my 5 Gen, by some 5 to 6 MPG more at times, but I blame the Power Commander I have on the 6 Gen. That and I'm usually riding in So. Cal traffic on the 6 Gen! I added the PC so that I could quell the back firing I was getting with the aftermarket exhaust (exhaust was installed when I bought it) and to help the slight slow speed stumble that seems to plague some 6 Gens. All in all I am very happy with both VFRs and I often have a hard time deciding which one to take if I just want to go for a quick ride but can say whichever I choose to ride, I am never disappointed!

Oh yeah, Welcome Aboard!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

• Member Contributer

There's reason they outlawed VTEC in MotoGP , IT'S PRODUCES MORE POWER.

What about the 7th gen, I have seen plenty of them for $6500.

Roll On ..

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. I love my fifth gens. Seamless power, fabulous sounds, aerodynamic and less expensive. Good luck with your search.

I think that is a gross oversimplification. It does not produce more power, it only allows the engine to utilize more of it's potential. The 6th gen produces the same amount of power as the 5th gen with the same displacement. The 5th gen just has all the power available to it from the get-go. The 6th gen supposedly has more fuel efficient profile prior to engagement. One could just as well say that the VTEC strangles power down low. VTEC was supposedly done for emission and noise control. In a MotoGP situation, they are always at high RPM so there is no need for a different profile in low RPM range. And they don't have to worry about emissions and noise levels.

Welcome to VFRD! :smile:

You can't really go wrong with either bike. I think nice 5th gens are getting harder to find, but there are many 6th gens available. If you find one you like but it has high miles, don't let that deter you. VFRs are pretty much bulletproof, with the exception of the charging systems, as mentioned above. But that can be fixed or modified easily enough.

Also, you'll probably read this during your research, but there were a few recalls on the '02 to '05 6th gens. If you buy one just check whether the recalls were done.

Happy hunting!

• Member Contributer

I think that is a gross oversimplification. It does not produce more power, it only allows the engine to utilize more of it's potential. The 6th gen produces the same amount of power as the 5th gen with the same displacement. The 5th gen just has all the power available to it from the get-go. The 6th gen supposedly has more fuel efficient profile prior to engagement. One could just as well say that the VTEC strangles power down low. VTEC was supposedly done for emission and noise control. In a MotoGP situation, they are always at high RPM so there is no need for a different profile in low RPM range. And they don't have to worry about emissions and noise levels.

Nope sorry agree to disagree .

Roll On ..

Archived