New Tire Time...

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

After drag racing, I have a small amount of thread showing on my rear tire. So, I'll be buying a set prior to this Friday's racing. It's got Dunlop Sportmax on it now. They were on it when I bought the bike in '99. I was quoted $230 something for a set of Pilot Powers from my local dealership. I don't do any road course track days. They're likely to spend the majority of their life doing 100' drags. I'm also not a long distance rider. The bike has alittle less than 20k on it.

So, any suggestions what I should put on my 5G?

• Member Contributer

• Member Contributer

For what you're doing with the bike, the most inexpensive and readily available tire you can find. Sounds like you will be wearing out the center of the tire before either of the sides even see the pavement. It would make no sense to by a more expensive dual (or triple) compound type of tire. Stick to older, single compound technology, which are less expensive.

• Member Contributer

Shinko Hook Ups are the best bang for the buck as far as drag racing tires go. Not super expensive, probably less than Pilot Powers and more suited to drag racing. Ricky Gadsen has used them to set some records, including on his Kawi H2. Which has about double the horsepower of our 5th gens...

• Member Contributer

Those look interesting.

I should've mentioned that I ride to/from the track which is about 20 miles away. Therefore I have to expect the possibility of riding on a wet road should it happen to rain.

Also, I need to have them in time for Friday's racing. So I'm not sure if ordering them would work.

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys. I'm going out tomorrow to a couple local places & see what's available.

• Member Contributer

• Member Contributer

Good luck Friday.

Wishing you low e.t.'s and upright finishes, in dry weather.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Maxwell.

My bike currently has a 120/60ZR17 frt tire on it. Can I use a 120/65ZR17 or a 120/70ZR17?

I just noticed the FSM says it should have 120/70ZR17 frt so I guess that'll work.

• Member Contributer

Well...I didn't give myself enough time to order tires so...I had to go with what I could get locally which ended up being Pilot Powers from my dealer for $238/set + $80 mount & balance :ohmy: having taken the wheels off myself. And while reinstalling the wheels I noticed that the the wheel weights were so damn loose they nearly feel off in my hand! :pissed: I had to put them in my vise then very gently tap them back on. They are still abit loose but surprisingly are still there. Madding when I pay someone good money for a service & they not only don't do it properly but they don't check to make sure it's done properly!

I was surprised at how much gripper new rubber is compared to old rubber just by touching it. I had enough traction to wheelie it at the track Friday with no burnout necessary. As shown in the vids I'll try to post.

As you can see in the pic, I think you'll concur that it was time for new ones.

post-14663-0-82588100-1436131710.jpg

post-14663-0-39342200-1436131799.jpg

• Member Contributer

I seem unable to upload a video. :comp13:

• Member Contributer

I would say you got every last mile out of those tires! There's nothing like new rubber.

• Member Contributer

There always gripper until that first hot cycle and little less there after for each following heat cycle at least for me anyways .

Roll On ..

PS for me I NEVER wear set out in the middle .

• Member Contributer

What difference in handling would there be by going from a 120/60 frt tire to a 120/70?

Archived