1K Trek This Thursday To The Up

Tews19

I am heading to the UP for a fishing trip and will be riding the VFR there. I ordered new Perilli GT angel Tires which will be mounted today. I will be swapping the plugs and changing the brake and clutch fluid as they are dirty.

First question is what spark plugs do I get? The big Honda service manual tells me the procedure and proper gapping but not which brand and part number when changing them out....

Second, I take it I should get a new brake bleeder to do the fluids as it is less messy and most likely faster to perform these normal maintenance... In the manual it states to bleed the clutch until no more fluid will come out. Is this correct if using a brake bleeder tool?

Lastly, I read on this site that bleeding the brakes is a PITA on here and that there is a specific procedure??? Does anyone have a how to or should i simply follow the big service manual?

Thanks in advance !

• Member Contributer

go buy the Honda spark plugs...but NGK is the brand. Stick with NGK. (someoen correct me if I have been smoking somehting...

I actually get my NGK plugs at Advance Auto. Same plug at a much cheaper price than the dealer.

The part number is in the service manual under the General Information section. CR9EH-9

• Member Contributer

NGK CR9EH-9 or Denso U27FER9 are specified in the service manual.

• Member Contributer

IMO VFR's get a bad rap on brake maintenance. Bleeding the brakes isn't all that bad if the procedure is followed and done methodically. I use a vacuum bleeder and it goes smoothly. The rear proportioning valve for me is the toughest part. Speed bleeders are commonly used and get good reviews.

When the M/C caps are removed be extra careful not to turn the bars or otherwisec bump them or brake fluid will go everywhere.

For the clutch bleed it until clear fluid comes out - not until none does. Keep fluid in the M/C at all times.

• Member Contributer

The hike from Grand Marais along the coast Northeast (all along Pictured Rocks National lakeshore) is pretty spectacular! Imagine 30 miles of blue-green water and 200foot clifs on your left (kind of like the Mediterranean) and blueberries on your right -- oh and bears--...it is a great hike!

Matt

I just got back from the UP. The road between Grand Marais and Munising would be awesome on a bike.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Forum Fiend

Archived