Ride Height With Daugherty Shock

Looking for help from anyone who's installed Jamie's upgraded F4i shock for the 6th-gen. I installed mine this past weekend, following the service manual where applicable, and everything bolted up as it should, except for the fact that the swingarm is now hanging lower to the point where the rear wheel touches the ground on the center stand. I e-mailed Jamie about it and from what he told me, I have things assembled so that the shock is the same length as stock. Any ideas as to what I might have done wrong or how to solve it?

• Member Contributer

Should be an arrow on the top of the triangle pointing forward when viewed from the left side of the bike. That's how the 5th Gen is, probably the same on 6G.

I know when I put a shim at the top of my shock, the tire would touch the ground. Not sure if the top shock "cradle" bracket can be twisted and not allowed to sit flat on the frame or not.

• Member Contributer

The install is longer than stock and increased the ride height... flipping the triangles lowers the bike making the rear tire higher when on the stand and more difficult to get it on the center stand..

A little increase in rear ride height is usually a good thing on these bikes for improved handling... I take it this something you didn't want? How does it ride?

Check like Wera said on the top mount to ensure it is fully seated with no obstructions.

• Member Contributer

My 6th gen with the F4 shock has about an inch clearance when on the center stand.

http://imgur.com/MpEs8P9

Fuzzy 2x4 for scale:

http://imgur.com/zHp4SBi

I stick the wood under my center stand so my rear wheel doesn't touch the ground!

OP has the F4i shock... don't know if that plays a role when compared with the F4

I don't actually know whether it's the F4 or F4i shock, as he uses both, but I assume they're more or less the same thing. The replacement top mount looks to be seated properly on the frame, but I'll check it again tomorrow when I have the time. I did want a little bit of extra ride height to improve the handling and it is definitely a big change for the better, but I didn't have this problem when I put a DMR shock on my old 5th-gen, and I like being able to use the center stand for regular maintenance. The other thing I'm wondering about is whether it's possible to install the bottom dogbone link backwards/upside-down, or if it's symmetrical; I had to take it out to get the stock shock out.

• Member Contributer

Jamie re-worked my 6th gen Showa shock and I had a similar result. There's about a finger's width between the rear tire and the floor. I don't recall the dogbone being asymmetrical. +1 on Rush2112's suggestion for plywood under the C stand - 1/2' thick would probably get you 3/4" + under the tire - enough to do maintenance.

• Member Contributer

Dogbone only mounts in two places so the distance eye to eye would be the same regardless of which end went where... it may have a correct orientation but it wouldn't change the ride height.

If you drop the front a little it will quicken steering and give the rear a little more room above the pavement

Archived