2007 Oil Question

• Member Contributer

You may quote me in other forums if you want ,no problem . I was interested in the research at the time since engine failure meant my butt would likely be sliding along the ground .

• Member Contributer

I'm more than willing to try 0w30 if my gearbox will shift like butter for 4000 miles and if the oil test numbers look decent.

I don't care if I lose 6 hp considering I seldom ride WAO these days, so I'm not leaving my 15w50 if the 0w30 gives me a clunky gear box after a few miles.

Please post your Blackstone results for the 0w30 any other oils you've had tested from Mr. RC45 for comparison. I'm due for an oil change so I'll wait on your numbers before I buy a jug. The price here is the same for Mobil 15w50 and 0w30, $23.88 for a 5 qt jug.

• Member Contributer

tbzep...

You might consider my next pick... I plan on running Mobil 1 5w30 API SN after reading 540 RAT “Wear Protection Ranking List” where this

particular Mobil was ranked #10 out of 152 oils tested... not to mention BaileyRock and a majority of VFR riders are happy running this particular

5w30... make sure you get the right one as there are 3 different 5w30 to pick from....

Mobil 1 5w30 API SN
$(KGrHqFHJFQFH+3bLSKwBSF(pTTTDg~~60_57.J

Heres, my 50 horse high strung dirt bike with only 2200 miles on it(still shedding break in debri) with 20w50 oil and only holds one and a half quart(800 miles on oil). Compare this to BLS's 50,000 plus mile vfr with a 30 weight at the same miles.

I think the result is clear , my new dirt bike motor sheds less metal than a fully broke in vfr, and that's kinda pathetic if you ask me. Ignore the lead count, its from leaded fuel.

I tried to find a couple of 6 and 700 mile oil reports BLS posted on his VFR, looks like they were deleted as they weren't supporting his claims. They were about the same as this report with slightly less mileage, as I say pathetic for a VFR.

5002nd.png

As mentioned ignore the lead count, its from leaded fuel, the left side report was 2 quarts redline and one 20w50 redline, not a bad report. if it had been straight 30 weight, the oil would not have done as well, the 20w50 supported the 10w30.

oilrepo.jpg

• Member Contributer

I tried to find a couple of 6 and 700 mile oil reports BLS posted on his VFR, looks like they were deleted as they weren't supporting his claims. They were about the same as this report with slightly less mileage, as I say pathetic for a VFR.

Someone clue in Spud that BLS doesn't ride an VFR...

• Member Contributer

if it had been straight 30 weight, the oil would not have done as well, the 20w50 supported the 10w30.

RedLine 10w30 motorcycle specific oil is a very robust 30 weight... they don't believe its necessary to support it with a 50w...

118.png

• Member Contributer

Larry, can you point me to your post with the Blackstone results of the RVF on Mobil 0w30 oil, and hopefully any others you've had tested also?

Also, I'd still like anyone that has run Mobil 0w30 or 5w30 to compare how well the VFR shifts with it compared with Mobil 15w50.

I'm really trying to let you guys convert me, but it ain't going to happen without these two little comparisons.

if it had been straight 30 weight, the oil would not have done as well, the 20w50 supported the 10w30.

RedLine 10w30 motorcycle specific oil is a very robust 30 weight... they don't believe its necessary to support it with a 50w...

118.png

If you look at the viscosity it held a high 30 weight, that wouldn't have happened without the 20w50. If I were to run redline again it would be 2 20w50 and one 10w30, to hold a 40 weight and increase the oci length.

why not 10w40? wasn't available when I bought, and redline tends to be slightly heavier than comparative brand viscosities.

Now my dirt bike, would get straight 20w50, far harder on oil than the vfr.

• Member Contributer

Larry, can you point me to your post with the Blackstone results of the RVF on Mobil 0w30 oil, and hopefully any others you've had tested also?

Also, I'd still like anyone that has run Mobil 0w30 or 5w30 to compare how well the VFR shifts with it compared with Mobil 15w50.

I'm really trying to let you guys convert me, but it ain't going to happen without these two little comparisons.

Amsoil 10w30 is in the first column and Mobil 1 0w30 in the second... the Mobil held its viscosity a little better than the Amsoil and the wear rates are about the same...

Mr.RC45UAO58K_zpspzoymbiu.jpg

• Member Contributer

Larry, there is only 641 miles on the oil sample and the company is already saying the viscosity is a little light. They are telling you to only put 600-1,000 more miles on before changing it. That would be an oil change interval of 1,241-1,641 miles on synthetic oil. That's terrible considering the extended miles we are supposed get with synthetics.

Also, I've yet to hear from anyone about the smoothness of the gearbox.

• Member Contributer

Larry, there is only 641 miles on the oil sample and the company is already saying the viscosity is a little light. They are telling you to only put 600-1,000 more miles on before changing it. That would be an oil change interval of 1,241-1,641 miles on synthetic oil. That's terrible considering the extended miles we are supposed get with synthetics.

Also, I've yet to hear from anyone about the smoothness of the gearbox.

Don't fear the shear... Amsoil 10w30 fresh out of the bottle has a viscosity

of 10.0 cSt... the sample shows it only sheared to 9.6 cSt that's a

difference of 0.4 cSt which means the oil is flowing 0.4 cSt more

which is a good thing... 0.4 cSt is not a measurement that the size of

the oil was reduced by 0.4 cSt... 0.4 cSt is the result of a gravity

flow test... thinking in the correct term of flow and not fear the size of the oil we

understand why Honda engineers can safely recommend 8,000 between oil changes

running a 30 weight because the more flow the better...

Understanding a 0.4 cSt change in viscosity is measured by noting the

time it takes oil to travel through the orifice of a capillary under

the force of gravity... its not a size measurement of the oil... If

the oil falls in 10 secs its viscosity is 10 cSt... if the oil falls

9.6 secs its viscosity is 9.6 cSt... so there is no logical reason for

us to fear oil flowing 0.4 more cSt because Honda don't...

backup_200203_KinemVisc-Fig1.gif

• Member Contributer

So why did Blackstone tell you that you only had a maximum of 1,000 miles left on that oil....which only had 641 miles on it at the time?

• Member Contributer

So why did Blackstone tell you that you only had a maximum of 1,000 miles left on that oil....which only had 641 miles on it at the time?

Overall Blackstone rated my Amsoil 10w30 as another nice sample for

Mr.RC45... Metals were about the same as my Mobil 1 0w30... there is

nothing in the numbers that screams problem... viscosity was a little

light but that is nothing to worry about... additive package is rock

solid at 10.3... they suggest another 1000 miles and taking another

sample... Blackstone knows all oils will shear... they never suggest

dumping your oil because its a little light in viscosity... they know

it doesn't show up as more wear... Blackstone addvises oil change on the

percentile of the anti wear additive package (TBN) that remains in the oil...

mine is rock solid at 10.3 so the oil is serviceable for another 1000

miles... if the next sample shows another drop in viscosity that's not

a worry... if the next sample shows a drop in the anti wear package

down in the 3 to 5 range that's a worry...

Quote 540Rat

Thicker oil DOES NOT automatically provide better wear protection

than thinner oils. Extensive “dynamic wear testing under load” of over

130 motor oils, has shown that the base oil and its additive package

“as a whole”, is what determines an oil’s wear protection capability,

NOT its viscosity. For example, some 5W30 oils have proven to provide

OUTSTANDING wear protection, while some 15W50 oils have only been able

to provide MODEST wear protection. So, do not run thicker oil under

the false assumption that it can provide better wear protection for

our engines.

• Member Contributer

Understood. Their comment was to get you to keep sending them samples at short intervals, mainly to make them more money, but also to find when the anti-wear additives break down enough to warrant changing.

You're almost there. Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten the most important answer to make me give Mobil 0w30 or 5w30 a try. Will the gearbox shift like it does with Mobil 15w50 and will keep shifting like that for about 4,000 miles like the 15w50? The only thing that could make it shift better than 15w50 is more 15w50 and a side order of bacon!

Overall Blackstone rated my Amsoil 10w30 as another nice sample for

Mr.RC45... Metals were about the same as my Mobil 1 0w30... there is

nothing in the numbers that screams problem... viscosity was a little

light but that is nothing to worry about... additive package is rock

solid at 10.3... they suggest another 1000 miles and taking another

sample... Blackstone knows all oils will shear... they never suggest

dumping your oil because its a little light in viscosity... they know

it doesn't show up as more wear... Blackstone addvises oil change on the

percentile of the anti wear additive package (TBN) that remains in the oil...

mine is rock solid at 10.3 so the oil is serviceable for another 1000

miles... if the next sample shows another drop in viscosity that's not

a worry... if the next sample shows a drop in the anti wear package

down in the 3 to 5 range that's a worry...

Quote 540Rat

Thicker oil DOES NOT automatically provide better wear protection

than thinner oils. Extensive “dynamic wear testing under load” of over

130 motor oils, has shown that the base oil and its additive package

“as a whole”, is what determines an oil’s wear protection capability,

NOT its viscosity. For example, some 5W30 oils have proven to provide

OUTSTANDING wear protection, while some 15W50 oils have only been able

to provide MODEST wear protection. So, do not run thicker oil under

the false assumption that it can provide better wear protection for

our engines.

The only problem, where are the results, as I don't see them

you say there is a huge power loss with heavier weight oils.

But my own results with say 5w40(actually a high 30 weight oil) verses say 20w50, in top speed testing, showed the 20w50 on a fully warm motor actually running faster.

and your metal count at such a low mileage definitely gives reason for concern.

Most are not going to run sub 1000 mile oci's to keep metal count low, in the uoa's

Archived