Newbie With Questions

viclava

I'm looking at a 2002 vfr with 3900 miles. The bike had been sitting in a garage for a few years and recently was taken to my local Honda dealer and had a quick once through before being put on consignment.

I test rode it and no issues. The bike comes with the optional matching luggage, and a couple scrapes and Knicks, but overall in very good condition.

Amy advice on what specifically I need to look for or ask about?

Thanks in advance

• Member Contributer

You are probably looking at a set of new tires and some fluid replacement at a minimum. Visual check of the air cleaner element and any service records if there were any. 3900 miles is barely more than an oil change. What kind of asking price does it have? And let me be the first, you must provide some recent pictures! Welcome to the forum!

• Member Contributer

Yes like TN said, the charging system will need to be checked (look at the big connector from RR to stator wires, the starter solenoid next to the battery, the fuse holders next to the battery - any melting?)... 2002 model had the recall on the front wiring harness, and some of the '02's had a recall to install an 'upgraded' stator/flywheel (dependent on VIN). If its a Honda dealer, have them check it, or reach out to Honda via phone or internet to confirm... these are free and should be done.

Something that has so few miles has likely been sitting for a LONG time, so new tires, flush and fill all the fluids (brake/clutch/coolant/oil for peace of mind)... and I would definitely take a look at the air filter and see if anything has made a home in there. How does the chain look; any tight links/kinks/binding?

We want pics! :cool:

Oh and $4400 seems way steep.

There was also a braking system recall for a Proportioning Control Valve (PCV) for the first few years of the 6th gen. VFR. I have an '04 and it was handled at the dealer by the first/previous owner. Since the bike you're looking at is at a Honda dealer shop, the dealer should be able to look up the VIN to see if the recall repair has been done - just as rhoderage said above about the wiring harness recall.

Archived