A Few Vf500F Questions

keny

So if all did not know, I "down graded" from my 2000 5th gen to a 1985 VF500FII

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80498-a-farewel/

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80836-a-new-door-opens/

I have a few questions concerning the bike

1. What is normal oil consumption?

2. How do I adjust idle engine speed, could not find it in the Clymer manual.....

3. Where do your clutch level operate, mine is in the last (or first when you pull the level) 1/4 of the movent, normal?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

1. What is normal oil consumption? = ZERO or very very little on the one I had

2. How do I adjust idle engine speed, could not find it in the Clymer manual..... = Can't recall exactly, but a thumb wheel above drive sprocket or clutch IIRC

3. Where do your clutch level operate, mine is in the last (or first when you pull the level) 1/4 of the movent, normal? = about 1/2 pull so change the fluid & clean the secondary master cylinder.

• Member Contributer

I should have uploaded a VF500C Honda Service Manual in the downloads section. Most of the engine stuff should be the same between the C and F.

= about 1/2 pull so change the fluid & clean the secondary master cylinder.

Thanks, have new seal kits ordered for both M/C and slave cylinder, so that will do I guess whit new fluid. Was reading in PracticalSportsbike Issue 25 (Dec 2012) in a head-to-head article of a VF500FII and a RD350LC, that the clutch plates are worn if pull is like on mine (the VF in the article had same pull as mine), but sure feels a little odd that it would change on a hydraulic system.

For the oil, I had to add ~2dl of oil after 2k kms.

For the idle adjustment, have to look, as I didn`t find any like that what I can recall.....

I eventually did find the adjuster knob, right hand side above head cover, right side faring lower has to be taken off to adjust....

Regarding the clutch operation on the VF500, I think all the action in the last throw of the lever is pretty much normal. My 86 VF500 is exactly the same and with the stock levers everything happens in the last few millimetres of travel. My bike is relatively low miles (20K) so this business about the clutch plates being worn would not apply. The only way I could improve it was to buy aftermarket adjustable levers

• Member Contributer

And good that she is a 1985 and not a 1987...

Swiss emission laws became much stricter in 1987...

post-8974-0-71168100-1432031765.jpg

2. How do I adjust idle engine speed, could not find it in the Clymer manual.....

Page 130 of the owners manual. :biggrin:

Thanks, seem I did miss that...

But now to the post office to pick up a package whit some parts, chain and like :wheel:

New chain on, check

Clutch M/C and slave cylinder served whit new seals, check

Collectorbox painted, check

Hopfully will get the odo cable tomorrow, and the fuel TAP is for tomorrow also.

:cool:

Archived