Rear Brake Pads A Different Number Than The Front Pads?

VFRfix

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I put the EBC HH pads on my '99 and all three sets were the same.

+1, and they provide soooooo much more grip than the stock pads. I can stop normally with 1 finger, or with 2 fingers if its an emergency. (Grabbing a whole hand full of lever would likely flip the bike, they are that good!)

• Member Contributer

If you're looking at EBC, they have a cross reference chart but for the sake of the class here's the low down.

98-05: FA261HH (front/rear)

06-09: FA388HH (front) & FA261HH (rear)

• Forum CEO

They look the same but they are not the same, the rear brakes come with a heat shield to prevent heat transfer from the disc to the pad, then to the brake slave cylinder. The small disk gets very hot when used sometimes and you can actually boil off the brake fluid and get a dead brake feel. The heat shield helps prevent that. You can take off the shield on the old pad and reuse it! However there is an issue with the thickness of the front and back, the front pads are thicker, the rear must be thinner to let the shield fit. I just reused my heat shield on the vfr1200 cause I went with an aftermarket brand that did not come with it. I tried to reuse an old heat shield on my 99 when I replaced the rear with ebc but they were too thick I had to go without, thats when I found out about fading rear brakes going down the mountain passes! I took them out and put the shield on after that ride, good thing I salvaged the shields. I use my rear brake instinctively, I just do.

Archived