Does The 2014 Vfr 800 Front Wheel Fit The 5Th/ 6Th Gens

deltaboxii

• Member Contributer

Just curious if anyone has tried to fit a front wheel from a '14/ '15 800 to a 5th or 6th gen. Its obvious that the rear wont fit without a different hub assembly (4 bolt hub vs. the '14's 5 bolt), but was wondering about the front???

• Member Contributer

Yes like the '93 CBR 900RR type of look alike USD forks that were really conventional forks. Surely someone has tried. hopefully Shirley has tried. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

It won't work.

The 8G has 310 mm brake discs while the ones on the 5G/6G are 296. You can't put 5G/6G discs onto an 8G wheel because the mounting pattern is different (the 8G uses a pentagonal pattern while the 5G/6G use a hexagonal one). And even then, there might be issues with A) the offset, and B) the axle setup. In any event, it's not going to work. Your best bet would be a fork swap.

As for the rear, mounting an 8G SSSA onto a 6G might work because A) both generations use the same motor, and B) in both generations, the SSSA is mounted to the motor. An issue you might have with that is whether the SSSA's are the same length (I know they're different on the 5G/6G).

Edit:

One more thing regarding the SSSA. I'm fairly certain the 8G got its SSSA from the (now) defunct CB1000R. If you can score a CB1000R SSSA, all you'd have to do to mount an 8G wheel on it is swap the axle (the CB1000R axle uses a four bolt pattern like the 5G/6G).

• Member Contributer

Thanks 2Fast! I had a feeling it would not work. There is one for sale on flea-bay cheap, so I was curious. Sounds like more of a PITA than I need right now, and I just swapped out my stock 5th gen forks for SH forks anyways.

• Member Contributer

Okay, you have identified a number of important issues that would need to be addressed, but IMHO they are probably surmountable. Honda may make other diameter brake discs with the same bolt pattern and offset, for example (I have no idea, but Honda does like to use common parts on many models). But certainly no easy, direct swap!

(Did that guy ever complete his rear wheel/axle swap? I don't recall reading about it.)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

It may not be as difficult as it sounds (the 8G and 6G share the same frame, too). The problem is finding an 8G front end. Good luck with that.

As for the rear, buying an 8G axle shouldn't be too expensive. Maybe it'll fit a 6G. The hub assemblies are similar, so who knows.

• Member Contributer

Are the upper fork tubes the same diameter 6g-8g? Could be a new route to front end swaps on 6th Gens?

As for the rear, mounting an 8G SSSA onto a 6G might work because A) both generations use the same motor, and B) in both generations, the SSSA is mounted to the motor. An issue you might have with that is whether the SSSA's are the same length (I know they're different on the 5G/6G).

Edit:

One more thing regarding the SSSA. I'm fairly certain the 8G got its SSSA from the (now) defunct CB1000R. If you can score a CB1000R SSSA, all you'd have to do to mount an 8G wheel on it is swap the axle (the CB1000R axle uses a four bolt pattern like the 5G/6G).

Is there no swapping an 8th Gen axle to 5/6 Gen swingarms?

BTW, just looked a couple pics online and the CB and VFR swingers look similar but not identical IMO. $200 difference between them on Service Honda fiche, plus the obvious part# difference.

• Member Contributer

Both the 6G and 8G use 43 mm forks. However, the rake is different (25.3 vs. 25.5 degrees) and so is the trail (100 mm vs. 95 mm). I have no idea how much better (if any) the 8G's front suspension is compared to the 6G. The problem is, say it's much better. What are the odds of finding an 8G front end? I predict it'll be a while before they start showing up on eBay (and even then, they'll be very few and very far between). To make matters worse, I predict the 8G won't be around long. In my honest opinion, I think Honda had to come up with something quickly to replace all the money they were losing on the 7G. Everything I've read indicates the 8G isn't competitive compared to the Ninja 1000. I doubt it'll do well against Suzuki's upcoming GSX-S1000F, either (it'll have 150 hp, inverted forks, etc.).

Maybe the CB1000R and 8G don't share the same SSSA (this is why I didn't say the 8G definitely got its SSSA from the CB1000R). They do look similar, though (and I still think of the 8G as a parts bin bike). As for the axles, I indicated that "maybe" they're interchangeable. I don't know anyone who's tried it, but it looks like it might work. If it's something I really wanted and I had the skill set to do it, I'd give it a try.

• Member Contributer

I looked at this a while back and came to the following conclusions re: axle swapping

1. The cush drive assembly (both halves) are identical, which means the splined portion of the axle is the right length and diameter. The only parts I can't be sure are the stepped collar on the outboard edge between the axle nut and the cush drive and the axle nut itself. Both axle nuts have the same annotated dimension (35mm) but different part numbers. Both of these parts may be required if the 8th gen axle has different thread dimensions, otherwise everything from the collar to the bearing holder should be right.

2. Everything between the oil seals of the bearing holder (aka eccentric) is identical diameter-wise, all the bearings are the same. What cannot be determined from the diagram is the width of the bearing holder.

3. The rear brake disc on the 8th is the same diameter as the 6th (256mm). The ABS sensor ring may be needed for proper location on the axle whether the bike is equipped with abs or not.

The most crucial unknown is the width of the bearing housing/axle length.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Funny I stumbled accross this. I was at the stealer last week pricing out the rear axle, disk and wheel! All up it was going to be well over $1K. I thikn the rear wouldbe pretty straight forward. As was previously mentioned Honda does like to use the parts bin. It does work well for us though. I think I may just have to wait a couple years for the 8 gen to come down in price. If I replaced all the parts I want to on mine, there wouldn't be many original left.

• Member Contributer

Both the 6G and 8G use 43 mm forks. However, the rake is different (25.3 vs. 25.5 degrees) and so is the trail (100 mm vs. 95 mm). I have no idea how much better (if any) the 8G's front suspension is compared to the 6G. The problem is, say it's much better. What are the odds of finding an 8G front end? I predict it'll be a while before they start showing up on eBay (and even then, they'll be very few and very far between). To make matters worse, I predict the 8G won't be around long. In my honest opinion, I think Honda had to come up with something quickly to replace all the money they were losing on the 7G. Everything I've read indicates the 8G isn't competitive compared to the Ninja 1000. I doubt it'll do well against Suzuki's upcoming GSX-S1000F, either (it'll have 150 hp, inverted forks, etc.).

Maybe the CB1000R and 8G don't share the same SSSA (this is why I didn't say the 8G definitely got its SSSA from the CB1000R). They do look similar, though (and I still think of the 8G as a parts bin bike). As for the axles, I indicated that "maybe" they're interchangeable. I don't know anyone who's tried it, but it looks like it might work. If it's something I really wanted and I had the skill set to do it, I'd give it a try.

They do not. The CBR has a shock mount on top of the swingarm and the VFR has a traditional (VFR) through-the-swingarm-triangle-under-the-arm mount for the shock lower

Which bike as 25.3 degree rake? Is the bike with less trail as well?

Archived