Stained Clutch Cover

RedRicer

so while washing my bike over the weekend I used some of that degreaser that comes in the purple spray bottle and this is what happened when it reacted with whatever gunk was on top of the engine and dripped down over the clutch cover...... now what do I do to at least make it a uniform color....? am I just going to have to paint it at this point or is there something/some product I can buff it out with?post-31443-0-08507200-1429128086.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks like it dried... you may be able to re-apply the cleaning chemical directly on the stain, work it in, then rinse off before it dries... we do this on manufacturing equipment when the foaming cleaners dry before getting rinsed off

yup, you let any of those stronger degreasers/cleaners on cetain parts of the bike till they dry, and they can badly and sometimes, permanently etch/stain the finish.

I remember doing so on my Hawk GT years ago when I did not rinse of the S100 spray-on cleaner off parts of the frame soon enough. = permanent stains on the frame spar clear anodizing. I actually avoided using S100 after that....... Too bad, as it actually worked really well to clean my bikes.

yup, you let any of those stronger degreasers/cleaners on cetain parts of the bike till they dry, and they can badly and sometimes, permanently etch/stain the finish.

I remember doing so on my Hawk GT years ago when I did not rinse of the S100 spray-on cleaner off parts of the frame soon enough. = permanent stains on the frame spar clear anodizing. I actually avoided using S100 after that....... Too bad, as it actually worked really well to clean my bikes.

any suggestions as to my next move? im pretty upset. amateur move, and now it looks like garbage.

You people aren't as helpful as usual here. It's not like he destroyed the thing. It's deposits from the cleaner.

First off try some WD40 on a rag. You might be pleasantly surprised.

What has happened is, you have used a caustic (high PH) cleaner, which dissolves aluminum oxide. On unanodized aluminum, like your cylinder heads, this will do exactly what you see, and it's worse on anodized aluminum because it actually dissolves the anodize. The clutch cover is actually powder coated, so what you have is just deposits on the surface.

In the future, stay away from your bike with caustic cleaners!

• Member Contributer

... you have used a caustic (low PH) cleaner, which dissolves aluminum oxide. ...

Caustic detergents have high pH, usually pH 9 or higher, up to pH ~11... acidic cleaners have low pH, usually pH 5 or lower, down to pH ~2...

neutral pH=7

My earlier suggestion holds true for caustic or acid cleaners that are designed to be sprayed on and rinsed off... re-wet with the same cleaner, work into surface (which lifts whatever was deposited previously when it was allowed to dry) and rinse off before it dries. In the food industry sanitation crews do this every day... if you have damaged the metal by using too harsh a chemical the metal is damaged and will need to be refinished.

simple green worked wonderfully! that would have been the last product I would have thought of, but that, straight up, with a scouring pad worked great. thanks so much everyone. except those of you suggesting the purchase of a new one. what the hell guys? lol

• Member Contributer

simple green worked wonderfully! that would have been the last product I would have thought of, but that, straight up, with a scouring pad worked great. thanks so much everyone. except those of you suggesting the purchase of a new one. what the hell guys? lol

not a new one, a Seb one!!!

olie2_zpscd70ce35.jpg

It's a forum. You will get all sorts of Opinions and None of then are guaranteed to be right, Accurate, or even Advisable... Some May even be detrimental to your Health, wallet or at the least defeating the Purpose.

Apply all Advice with caution!!!

Most people have good Intentions but that doesn't Mean their Advice is in your best Interests.

Either way, only One person Appeared to be Suggesting you buy a New cover and that May not have been his true Proposal. For Some, that May be the solution they would use.

Now, the real question is: whose Advice did you follow when using that stuff and/or why did you not Protect Those parts that might suffer Damage From it?

... you have used a caustic (low PH) cleaner, which dissolves aluminum oxide. ...

Caustic detergents have high pH, usually pH 9 or higher, up to pH ~11... acidic cleaners have low pH, usually pH 5 or lower, down to pH ~2...

neutral pH=7

My earlier suggestion holds true for caustic or acid cleaners that are designed to be sprayed on and rinsed off... re-wet with the same cleaner, work into surface (which lifts whatever was deposited previously when it was allowed to dry) and rinse off before it dries. In the food industry sanitation crews do this every day... if you have damaged the metal by using too harsh a chemical the metal is damaged and will need to be refinished.

Quite right, I have edited my post to correct my error.

Archived