5Th Vs 6Th Gen Clutch Slave

MadScientist

• Member Contributer

To the Parts Fiche!

Seriously, check out the parts fiche on your favorite site. I only know 5th Gen and RC51 are the same part#. Never had a need to check the 6th Gen.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I checked and the part number is different. The casting looks identical on the outside, down to the "S2" on the tab above where the hydraulic line enters. The seal and piston have different part numbers, but the spring is the same. The gasket and the pushrod oil seal are the same as well. So I decided to go ahead with it anyway, only $20 for a used part. The bore on mine is a bit rotten, was hoping a newer one may be in better shape. If nobody chimes in, I'll stop back with a clarification once I get the part.

• Member Contributer

Well, I got the new (used) slave cylinder in today and tore it down for cleaning and measurement. Turns out the 5th gen and 6th gen clutch slave cylinders are slightly different, which would make a bit of sense given that the clutch is also a bit different. Here are my results:

Pistons 1

Pistons 2

Pistons 3

Housings 1

Housings 2

Dimensions

Dimension Chart

While the housings are nearly identical externally, the bore and piston are slightly smaller. This results in a decrease in the amount of force transmitted by about 12%; i.e. if the handle used to require 20 lbs to actuate the clutch, it now takes 22.4 lbs. Coincidentally, the distance traveled by the slave piston increases by 12%, so the clutch would disengage 12% sooner than previously. The important dimension from the base of the piston to the surface that contacts the clutch pushrod ( C) is the same in both cases. The extra height of the 5th gen piston is only the lip at the very top of the piston (D). This will most likely have no effect on the function of the slave cylinder. In conclusion, I'm 99% sure the 6th gen clutch slave will work on the 5th gen bikes. The disengagement point should move away from the grip very slightly at the expense of slightly heavier lever pull.

• Member Contributer

Nice job, you really live up to your screen name!

• Member Contributer

Can you do a little better with your analyses? :goofy:

Awesome work !

Actually I can... This has got me wondering if we can reduce clutch pull force by using a 5th gen slave with a 6th gen master. The part numbers for the master cylinder piston rebuild kits are different between the 5th and 6th gen masters, was wondering if someone out there has a 6th gen master they can measure?

Alternatively, if someone is planning on rebuilding their 6th gen clutch master, I would be willing to buy an OEM rebuild kit and resell it to whoever needs it. Then I can measure and directly compare the 5th and 6th master pistons. Contact me by PM if you are interested.

I think I am going to use a 5th gen master on my bike, so I will rebuild this 6th gen and sell it. Classified ad to follow.

Archived