Bike Voltage Going Crazy

Aimbot9000

It started on the way home from a 200 mile trip my cheap Everstart digital voltage monitor would randomly spike up to 18.8V flashing the voltage display and bat & alt warning lights then dropping to a normal 14.6 . I found that turning on the grip heaters kept it from acting up the rest of the way home and nips it in the butt when it acts up.

I had the luck of having it act up in the driveway and verified with a multimeter that the voltage at the battery jumps around so fast you cant see a solid reading but it swung between 10 and 19v.

Since then I,ve replaced the RR with a shindengen fh020aa and the issue persists

Battery shows 13.3V with key off. Stator tested no continuity to ground on all 3 wires and .05 ohms across the 3

Orange ground block looks factory fresh and haven't found any crispy wires. Bike has 50k miles, is it new stator time or do i have some other issue? I thought the voltage swing was the RR crapping out but now i dont know.

Throwing parts at a problem is a bad way to solve it. First, make sure your battery is fully charged OFF THE BIKE. Then, check all three legs of the stator for AC idle voltage of 16-20 volts WITH THE R/R DISCONNECTED. Also check each stator leg DOES NOT have continuity to ground (engine off). Then recheck your R/R for idle voltage between 13.8 - 14.5 volts DC. It's possible a bad stator has fried your replacement R/R. Let us know what you get.

• Member Contributer

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here which I hope will prove useful, but if I'm off base please disregard.

I seem to recall that on Y2K models forward, the charging system was revised to include a voltage monitor wire. Here is an old thread that might be useful:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/35047-producing-a-fix-for-the-regulatorrectifier-wiring-issue/page-2

This is quoted from post #17 from that thread: (emphasis added in bold)

2000-2001 has 6 wire and 3 wire plugs. 6 wire plug has 2 Red, 2 Green, 1 Black/white. 3 Wire is Stator Yellow. This is the same R/R as 2002+ models, but under the tail as with 1990-1999. Still heat associated problems, although not as bad. The Sensor wire is also an issue, and causes overcharging because it senses a voltage drop in the ignition switch. R/R still located RH Rear, under the tail.

2002-2007 has 6 wire and 3 wire plugs. 6 wire plug is the same as the 2000-2001 model, but the 3 wire plug is updated (not upgraded, still crap). R/R is located under the front right fairing. Cooling is no longer a problem, but the Sensor wire still is, as is general wire size not being suffecient. This is usually evident in the 30 amp fuse wire burning up and batteries dying prematurely.

Although for 6th gens, here's another post that talks about the monitor wire.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/34762-6th-gen-monitor-wire-fix/

• Member Contributer

What doesn't make sense is that a NEW reg/rec is also allowing voltage spikes. Are you sure?

Ciao,

Well this is an interesting outcome, The faulty part seems to be a relay that was controlling my accessories. After removing it took the bike out for a test an 230miles later not a single issue. Got some weird looks at the gas station as i had a multimeter taped to my tank lol.

So I needlessly replaced the stock RR with a better one, but now I have a spare if I need it so I'm not too upset about it.

Thanks for your time Input everyone!

Archived