Vfr Vs. Fjr1300

ridered

I know it is apples to oranges, but can someone who has owned both comment on the advantages, disadvantages of each? I'm leaning towards the VFR, but for the money the FJR offers more, especially when looking at a DLX with luggage added, it costs almost as much as the FJR, which adds shaft drive, electric windshield and cruise control. But sometimes more isn't really better. I'm not looking for an argument over which is better, just an objective comparison. I have ridden an FJR, but not the 8th gen.

Thank you.

I almost bought a 2005 fjr for $9500 brand new, for what I do it was a little big , and at the time, I had to park it in the backyard through a privacy gate.

Id say the decision is based mostly on a lot of interstate travel, verses a lot of sport riding between the two, the FRJ is quite abit heavier as the only side note.

More to think about, my short list for a new bike is as follows:

'14+ VFR 800

FJR1300

VFR 1200

BMW R 1200 RS

I welcome everyone's input based on your experience. Thanks for the input.

• Member Contributer

Z1000SX?

They're quite different bikes imo so I reckon you need to look at what riding you do then see which fit that and your riding style better.

Then go and test ride them!

Best of luck.

I wouldn't even put the VFR800 and FJR in the same class. That's like deciding between a sportbike and a Gold Wing! Which is more important to you....light and nimble sportiness, with some degree of touring capability? Or heavy, comfy, long distance tourer that still has some bit of sportiness in the curves?

• Member Contributer

A couple riders in my local riding group sold their R1 and GSXR1000 bikes and bought FJR1300. They looks large but both of them said compared to the others like ST etc.. they felt worlds lighter and they were able to ride them fast as well. Parking my 98 VFR next to my RC51 it is my FJR1300. If I were to ride two up are do lot's of cross country touring the FJR1300 would win hands down.

I have just completed a 10 day trip with some mates, one had an FJR, I was on my gen 8, and from my observations, the FJR wins hands down for outright grunt, it is no slouch in the twisties either, and it has a decent cruise control, but it is a big beast, and although very capable, it doesn't do it for me.

The gen 8 can easily stay with an FJR in the tighter twisties but on the straights would struggle as you would expect, but I have zero interest in going fast on straight roads so never tried

The owner himself complained that it has no personality and it is far to easy to cruise all day at go to jail speeds.

On the other hand, he is a big guy and the FJR fits him well, a VFR800 would be physically too small.

It surprises me that you say they are a similar price, and FJR here in Oz is $26K and a VFR800 is $14.5K (without luggage).

I think the FJR is a very good and capable bike but I would not buy one, personally I prefer something a bit smaller with more personality, and inline fours are a bit soulless IMO.

• Member Contributer

I agree with Dogman, two very different bikes, and very different prices here in Oz.

An agile all rounder, and a heavy long distance cruiser.

The only bike I think is comparable to the VFR, and maybe a bit better but pricier, is the Z1000 SX, not the Z1000 (a naked).

It has a full fairing, luggage, a slight forward riding position, and a lot more grunt. It's not perfect, but no bike is.

I have just completed a 10 day trip with some mates, one had an FJR, I was on my gen 8, and from my observations, the FJR wins hands down for outright grunt, it is no slouch in the twisties either, and it has a decent cruise control, but it is a big beast, and although very capable, it doesn't do it for me.

The gen 8 can easily stay with an FJR in the tighter twisties but on the straights would struggle as you would expect, but I have zero interest in going fast on straight roads so never tried

The owner himself complained that it has no personality and it is far to easy to cruise all day at go to jail speeds.

On the other hand, he is a big guy and the FJR fits him well, a VFR800 would be physically too small.

It surprises me that you say they are a similar price, and FJR here in Oz is $26K and a VFR800 is $14.5K (without luggage).

I think the FJR is a very good and capable bike but I would not buy one, personally I prefer something a bit smaller with more personality, and inline fours are a bit soulless IMO.

In the states they are similar in price. VFR DLX is 13,500, and the FJR is 15,890, but comes standard with the hard bags and rear carrier, which adds around 1500 to the Honda, so 15,000. Plus the FJR comes with cruise control, shaft drive, power windscreen and other features not available on the Honda. But it sounds like for my needs, which is 90% commuting, 10% weekend rides, 10% touring the Honda would be better.

• 3 weeks later...

I own and ride both. It is difficult to find anything wrong with an FJR. It is a phenomenal motorcycle.

Which do I ride more and enjoy riding the most? The VFR and by no small amount. It is more fun, and it has more character. Loads more of each, not even close.

Archived