Gas Smell In The Oil?

HRCCBR

2008 VFR800 I noticed that the oil seemed to be growing lately. Pulled the cap off and there is a smell of gas, not huge but seems to be there.

4800 miles on the clock now. I am the second owner and will be for the foreseeable future. I do not think they maintained her very well considering but she only had 2800 on the clock when I became the owner.........

What direction would you guys go from here to start?

I am using Motul 5100 and K&N filters since I bought her. I had 1 K&N crap out but I have changed the oil 2 times in the last 2k miles. I know that is unnecessary normally, but the oil looked like chocolate milk when I bought her and was WAY overfilled. The oil still looks fairly normal kinda light green but does have an odd smell like gas I think.

• Member Contributer

Bad and leaky injector.

Good suggestion...

So as a remedy try adding seafoam for a few tanks of gas. Has the mileage (mpg) been poor?

• Member Contributer

Best way to confirm fuel in the oil is to send a sample off to Blackstone or similar for analysis. They'll send you the sample bottle for free if you call or email.

• Member Contributer

Make sure the engine temps are continuous above 180ºF or higher... this temp is needed to evaporate any fuel that blows by

the rings... a bad injector will effect the bikes overall running... As owner of any used bike you want all the unknowns to be

known so having your oil contamination theory tested is a good call... http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Bad and leaky injector.

Good suggestion...

So as a remedy try adding seafoam for a few tanks of gas. Has the mileage (mpg) been poor?

I did seafoam on my third tank when I got her. Mileage seems normal about 200 per tank depending on how much I can keep her out of Vtec which is not that much.

Best way to confirm fuel in the oil is to send a sample off to Blackstone or similar for analysis. They'll send you the sample bottle for free if you call or email.

That would remove most questions about it....good idea. It seams to have grown(oil in sight glass) since the last oil change for some reason. That is why I took the cap off in the first place then I smelled what I though was gas.

Make sure the engine temps are continuous above 180ºF or higher... this temp is needed to evaporate any fuel that blows by

the rings... a bad injector will effect the bikes overall running... As owner of any used bike you want all the unknowns to be

known so having your oil contamination theory tested is a good call... http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Engine always seems "hot" winter time its around 170-190 summer was 190- 220. I understand from this forum that it is not abnormal for the VFRs to be 200ish

Thanks for the link I will contact blackstone and start that process!

are you paranoid, oil absorbs hydrocarbons, it will always smell like gas to some degree. If the oil looks like chocolate milk Id suspect coolant leak and not fuel. Picture would help too.

Generally if you have fuel in the oil, it will nearly knock you out when you smell it, and that's not an exaggeration.

Spud786

Maybe a bit! The nasty oil was changed as soon as I bought it. Everything seemed fine until recently when I noticed that the oil seemed to grow in the sight glass. Using the warm up, off 2-3 min, check method it has gone from 1/8" below top line to 1/8" above top line over the last month or so. That is the only reason I opened the plug. The smell was definitely not like you described "nock you out" and the color hasn't really changed either.

• Member Contributer

Just wondering when you are checking the oil level. Before startup, on the centerstand the level in the sight glass will normally be above the index mark, but as soon as the engine is running it will drop below the index mark. I think Spud is on the right track.

Just wondering when you are checking the oil level. Before startup, on the centerstand the level in the sight glass will normally be above the index mark, but as soon as the engine is running it will drop below the index mark. I think Spud is on the right track.

I have been using the recommended way.....start from cold and let warm 2-3 minutes on center stand, shut off and wait 2-3 minutes, check level at that time. I will double check the coolant level as well but the oil does not look like it has any coolant mixed in it currently.

Don't over complicate the level check, just put it on the center stand, and oil level should be at recommended lines and when full hot it will be slightly higher, as long as you see air space at the top of the site glass, don't worry about it.

Next time you dump your oil, smell that, but you can do an oil analysis , but it should be sampled immediately after a 4 or 5 hour run.

Archived