Getting That Ca Road Trip Feeling...

WGREGT

• Member Contributer

I'm just north of you guys in east LongBeach. Right next to Seal Beach and LosAlamitos. I am always game for a ride. Low deserts are nice in the winter. Out toward the Salton Sea and there abouts.

• Member Contributer

Orange Curtain. I knew that. :sleep:

You guys come north, well then. :beer:

North, South, don't make us no never mind, let's ride!

I think it's the hour Fwy drone between here, and the Happiest Pace on Earth that is off putting for me. :sleep:

Plenty of good roads are closer. Also the Rock Inn! :beer:

The LA sprawl & congestion is also off putting for us. Narrower freeway lanes make splitting more risky and exhausting. And the bumpy freeways! OMG. Can someone please straighten out the 405 freeway? Finally, the left lane dawdling fools in all kinds of contraptions! Nevertheless, none of that stops us from heading north on a regular basis. When you ride as much as we do, mixing things around and exploring other areas farther from home makes it all worthwhile.

Try living in San Diego and going north. It takes at least 2 hours to get through LaLa land at least. At least I can head East.

When in April where you thinking of doing Big Sur? Have a plan yet?

Do we have a plan yet? Do we? LOL!

You bet your Honda Ascot we do!

Go here: http://ocmoto.com/index.php/topic,67831.0.html

I don't want to re-type everything here.

Hmmmmm............

Last year was certainly a memorable adventure.

Despite my reduced participation after a good and wet day 1.

Hmmm..... Maybe.... I need a road trip.

Gotta get some waterproof gloves if I do. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

April was fun last year. I had never been on most of those roads before. I'm in again this year: this time with a non-cracked exhaust. Staying in the same place? Should we start talking about reservations?

Staying in San Simeon. San Simeon Lodge is were a few of us are booked at...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rogue...can you refresh my memory a bit? I have a friend who is thinking about joining me, but he's asking about the daily and total mileage.

I told him what you said on OCMoto....about 1200 total over 3 days: fri/sat/sun.

He says the route (I guess he checked it out on your link) looked like 300 per day (900 total), and that days 1 and 2 seemed like 6 hours of straight riding time. That about right?

He asked if day 2 went thru Monterey and Carmel...I know we didn't go that way...does your current map go that way?

He's got some wrist injuries that he's worried about. That's what all of this stems from.

Greg, 300 miles a day sounds about right. Day 2 could be a little more and it certainly will feel like more. I think for you being you're coming from down south OC could be 1,200 miles. All depends where you're starting from.

6 hours of riding time also sounds right. Day 2 is probably longer because we were on the road by 7:30, had breakfast and lunch, then we were chasing the sunset back to San Simeon. I think we were eating dinner by 7PM. So saddle time may be 6 hours but with the stops the ride lasts the whole day. Also remember that Day 2 gets MORE challenging towards the end of the day (Carmel Valley Road & Hwy 1). It doesn't ease up until the last 10 miles.

You're friend has plenty of time to find out if he's up to this kind of back to back 300 mile days with lots of twisties. I would seriously suggest he find out before he joins. There is nothing more miserable than being in pain and hundreds of miles from home.

My route does NOT enter the Monterey Peninsula nor Carmel. Just the edge of those two areas. But hey! Nobody says you can't go explore around there. Anybody is more than welcome to break off from my route and do their own thing. Going out there and having fun and exploring is the reason why we're going.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to go, but I'm going to be on a cruise with my family the same weekend.

Have fun! I would like at some point to tour up around Lake New Melones. That's a really scenic area.

• Member Contributer

Can someone put a date in the title for this road trip? Or is it still in the teaser stage of planning? Month or season would work for me too.

• Member Contributer

April 24, 25, 26, 2015. Not in the teaser stage, it's happening. Hotels are already booked, and there's quite a few going (like 2 large-ish groups), last I heard.

Well this thread was more as a "feeler" so I think maybe we should post an official ride. Particularly since Rogue created the ride and this is your post Greg. What do you think?

Well, I was just going from the link Rogue posted to the OC Moto site early in this thread. I'll copy/paste it here though...

Here are details (picked up from the same link posted earlier here by Rogue. I did this same trip last year. It was a real nice weekend.)

The California Central Coast is one of the most epic places to ride a motorcycle. Personally, I feel that this area is a gift to us motorcyclists (and auto enthusiasts alike). The area contains roads and scenery that simply does not exist in large quantities in and around SoCal. That coupled with a low population density and the absence of urban sprawl makes the Central Coast of California a must-ride for anyone who enjoys the great outdoors, great roads, and beautiful, unspoiled scenery.

I've ridden on these roads many times over the past decade. I've posted invites on a few websites in the past. This is the first time I'm posting this in OCmoto. I hope that some of you like minded enthusiasts can join myself and a fellow member for our annual Central Coast Tour.

What: California Central Coast Tour - 2015
Where: Between Santa Barbara and the Monterey Peninsula
When: April 24-26, Friday to Sunday
Distance: Approximately 1,200 miles

Over the years I've slowly refined the route that includes the best the area has to offer, along with interesting points along the way and relatively proven places to eat and bunk for the night. There are of course other options and we will adjust anything as needed as we get closer to the dates. More details to come.

The approximate itinerary will be as follows:
Day 1 - Friday, April 24: Leave the OC to Ventura County, 101 Freeway/Hwy 33/Hwy 58/Hwy 46 to San Simeon (San Simeon is the base of operations)
Day2 - Saturday, April 25: The Hollister/Coastal Loop, Various roads leading to Hwy 25, then to Hwy 1 back to San Simeon.
Day 3 - Sunday, April 26: The slow ride back to the OC, Hwy 1 to San Luis Obispo, the 101 to Santa Barbara, detour to the Malibu coast on PCH, then the final slab home on the I-405.

LODGING INFORMATION

If you want to shop around, just do a search on "San Simeon Hotels" and you will get half a dozen sites to visit.

My choice here would either be the Silver Surf Motel or the San Simeon Lodge for room quality and location, with the San Simeon Lodge having better views. Courtesy Inn is in between SS Motel and SS Lodge (walking distance) and is another less expensive choice. At this point I would recommend these three. There are others but they cost way more.

OOTV and myself have booked our rooms at the San Simeon Lodge.

San Simeon Lodge Pricing: $79-$130/night depending on views
Silver Surf Hotel Pricing: $100-$130/night. They only have courtyard views.
Courtesy Inn Pricing: $70-$120/night. They have no views except parking lot.

All three hotels have a few restaurants within walking distance, plus two mini-marts next door as well. San Simeon Lodge has a Bar & Grille and [gulp] Karaoke bar.

If you decide to be part of this little party, please take note of a few points I would like to make:

1) Since I only get to hit this area once a year, I really want to keep the route intact. If you have other ideas, please feel free to break off from me any time you wish. Freedom and happiness should be the key goal here. I don't want anyone to feel like a prisoner on someone else's itinerary.

2) The routes, especially on Day 2, will be long. The miles traveled won't be huge but the time spent riding will be long and will get you tired. You will get sick of twisty roads by the end of Day 2 I assure you! So, be prepared physically & mentally.

3) Just like your body, your hardware should also be ready. Do what's necessary to ensure your bike and your gear are capable of enduring long days on the road, rain or shine. Make sure tires have enough tread life for the duration of the trip. Use reliable luggage. Bring a flat tire repair kit that you KNOW how to use. A few zip ties, band aids, a little duct tape is nice to have. There will be many places where there are no cell coverage or people who can help.

4) Weather....it can be hot and sunny, or it can be cold and rainy. It's April. Bring waterproof gear.

5) Ride Safe. This ride is a tour not a sport ride so we dial down the speed and testosterone a few notches.

6) Last but not least, bring an open mind. Even the best laid plans can unravel due to unexpected circumstances. So leave any Alpha Male attitudes and any other distractions at home. Relax. We're going to be on vacation. Enjoy each day and savor every moment.

• Member Contributer

Very cool. I'm going to be pretty busy with work that month unless something changes. I will be keeping it in mind. You have one hell of a ride planned there.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn it. Looks like I'm out this year. The Boss also has plans that weekend in Napa. (Let the record show, however, that I had my plans waaaay first.)

Have fun guys. I may ride the same route either before or soon after the ride weekend with my riding buddy from Back East. Waiting to hear back from him and when/if His Uncle will let him go. Take good fotos!

• Member Contributer

Damn it. Looks like I'm out this year. The Boss also has plans that weekend in Napa. (Let the record show, however, that I had my plans waaaay first.)

Have fun guys. I may ride the same route either before or soon after the ride weekend with my riding buddy from Back East. Waiting to hear back from him and when/if His Uncle will let him go. Take good fotos!

Bummer. Well I hope your boss is at least covering your cost for Napa!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just thought I'd bump this post as the date is approaching. Although Saturday looks like we'll have a little wet weather, Friday and Sunday look to be great.

Archived