Engine Running Temperature

Tramp

Having just bought my VFR800,(1998), I am not sure what temperature the engine should run at. Mine runs at a steady 75degrees which seems low to me. I suspect that the thermostat is stuck o.pen but I don't want to strip the bike down if this is not defective. Any guidance would be appreciated

I was thinking about changing my thermostat again because I am seeing similar temperatures. Now it seems to be the nature of the beast. Personally I would like to see a higher temerature, because I have seen condensation on the sight glass after several consecutive rides where it never got warmer than freezing .Next season I might try blocking off part of one or both radiators.

• Member Contributer

I get 74-76C and I have a newly installed thermostat and I fully flushed and replaced the coolant when I did that. I agree that seems to be pretty normal for this bike whenever there's some cooling airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

75-80C is normal in cool weather. Keep the RPMs up, and avoid short trips whenever possible.

On the flip side I have seen 118C at a track day where the ambient temps were 40C.

Thanks for the information guys. You have put my mind at rest and saved me some work. Admittedly the weather was cold when I experienced a running temp of 75 degrees, so no doubt it will increase in warmer weather. Must fit heated grips now. Just waiting for the delivery from Amazon!

If your temperature is below 80°C, and you go fast (say highway speed) and the remperature drops, then your thermostat is stuck open, or run your bike for few minutes til the bike warms up to 50°C or so, and feel the water hose that goes across between the two radiators under the headlight, it should not be warm at any temperature below 80°C (when the thermostat starts to open)

• Member Contributer

It's fine m8, especially in the current temperatures.

Welcome to the site btw! :beer:

• Member Contributer

My last 5th gen ran 75-76 in cold weather but my new 5th gen is running around 80 degrees or slightly under, even at 60 mph plus in cold weather so I suspect the stat on the old bike was stuck open a bit,

it's a bigger issue on the vtecs though,they don't function right if the coolant temp is below 78 I think. I think your bike will be fine as it is,but you could put it on a to do list if you're ever tearing into the bike for another reason.

• Member Contributer

Engine temps below 180ºF or 82ºC is an problem... it means that the
moisture produced during combustion is not getting hot enough to
evaporate out the pipe as steam... instead that moisture will migrate
to the oil and produce a milky white contamination...

Note normal by products of combustion is water... . Every gallon of gas
creates roughly 8 pounds of water vapor... we all have witnessed water
escaping out of tail pipes on cold mornings...

the sequence of events to trouble shoot are:

1)Faulty temp meter...
2)Thermostat stuck open...
3)Faulty fan switch... (stuck on)

Continuous engine temps above 220ºF or 104ºC is also a problem and the proper
order of items to trouble shoot are:

1)Faulty radiator cap... system should hold 1.1 pressure ratio...
2)Insufficient coolant...
3)Passages blocked in the radiator, hose or water jacket...
4)Air in the system...
5)Thermostat stuck closed...
6)Faulty temp meter or thermo sensor...
7)Faulty fan...
8)Faulty fan switch...

Archived