If You Have More Than 50,000 Miles Or 80,000 Km On Your Vfr1200

kurtfriedrich

Please post up with any mechanical failures you have personally experienced.

My goal is to gather this data and from time to time I'll summarize it on a spreadsheet which I'll publish here and we can start to see what weaknesses we should be on the lookout for, and possibly even do some preemptive parts replacements to avoid getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Please DO include replacing brake pads, clutch plates, etc, not that's really a "failure" but it is something it would be good to have replacement data on.

Please post.

Model Year

DCT or standard

Mileage at time of failure

Nature of failure (or "worn out" item)

Bonus question: What kind of oil have you been using and how often do you replace it?

It would be nice if people would not go off into discussions about all this in this thread, please start a new one.

I'd like this to be a pure data thread, and we can all interpret and debate in other threads. (I know, fat chance on that request!!)

thanks

• Member Contributer

2010 VFR1200F with 54,000 miles. No issues at all. Check valves @16,000 mile intervals and so far only one exhaust has been out. Brake pads @ 25,000 miles. Oil is Mobil 1 full synthetic, 10w30 every 4,000 miles. It's a great motorcycle.

2010 - standard - 81000 km - No failure

Never checked the valves

Never changed the spark plugs

Never changed the rear brake pads

Changed the front brake pads every 25000 km (average) - Always original except the last one, Lucas

Changed air filter every 24000 km

Changed final transmission oil every 12000 km (together with engine oil)

Engine Oil : Procycle SAE 5W40 API SM Jaso MA2 - Full synthetic (from Louis, Germany)

Transmission Oil : Procycle Gear Oil SAE 75W140 API 5GL - Full synthetic (from Louis, Germany)

here's my entire service record from day one....if you care to indulge....no serious failures...a few issues, but nothing major....headlight hi/low relay was replaced because it was slow switching between beams and then headlight went out entirely ...thought that fixed it but it acted up again recently....otherwise just maintenance...oil every 3000 miles...bel ray EXP ....tires have been lasting about 8000 miles ....valves were ok at 17,500 mi and plugs were like new....love this bike

HONDA VFR SERVICE RECORD - Copy.doc

31K Miles and ZERO issues. Didn't bother with a valve check but I've had all of the other services done by the book.

Mobil 1 since it's first oil change. She's lived her life in a garage with lots of washing and waxing. In March, I will have had her 4 years and I have loved every minute of it. Still looks brand new.

Unfortunately, this summer was not kind to me with available riding time. Maybe 1500 miles MAX....(I should be shot)

On the bright side, my tires, brakes, and all fluids are ready to go for Spring.

• Member Contributer

VFR1200F

50870km at the moment, it had 2 problems.

@48000km

1)Saddle started to show weak spots and teared holes in it near the tank, Honda replaced it under warranty (very good!)

2)Rear suspension needed to be replaced, the knob got stuck and couldn't turned anymore, I had to pay 33%.

My dealer told me all Honda's have this problem at about 50000km and it's a construction failure.

I'm not so happy Honda charged me for the last one, as they have a v2 rear suspension made but mine is still V1, so it could happen again at 100km.

Other then that, no problems.....I did do a Guhl flash as it ran rubbish on the standard ECU programming.

I know it's not 80000km, but problems start at about 50000 according to my dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I bought a 2010 last fall with only 26000km on it and had a number 2 connecting rod bearing failure. The PO had all service done at the dealer at about 5000km intervals. Bike was out of warranty, so he sold it. I am in the process of repairing it now.

• Member Contributer

Hi, I bought a 2010 last fall with only 26000km on it and had a number 2 connecting rod bearing failure. The PO had all service done at the dealer at about 5000km intervals. Bike was out of warranty, so he sold it. I am in the process of repairing it now.

That's not nice to hear.

Probably its related to Honda recall regarding the aluminium chips residue.

• Member Contributer

Probably its related to Honda recall regarding the aluminium chips residue.

I think that was a UK only situation but, you're right, can't rule out a relationship.

• Member Contributer

1998 VFR. Countershaft 6th gear dog failure at 74K miles. Bike had shifting issues since it was purchased with 18K. Replaced countershaft 3rd, and 6th gears. Everything else looked like new inside. Shifts like butter now.

1994 VFR bought with 125K miles. Now at 130K miles. No smoke, leaks, or bearing noises. Shifts like butter. Runs like a scalded dog.

• Member Contributer

I know you asked for at least 50,000 miles but I have one that may seem to be a problem. I have had the seat tear on two seats now in the same spot towards the front on the left hand side. The first one was replaced under warranty and the second seat is going to be replaced too with the new updated seat from a 2012. My bike is a 2010 VFR1200F 12,000 miles with no other issues that would be consider a failure. But I did have a leaking front fork seal.

Also, had the dreaded crack on the rear silver cowling that covers the brake reservoir, that too was replaced under warranty.

1998 VFR. Countershaft 6th gear dog failure at 74K miles. Bike had shifting issues since it was purchased with 18K. Replaced countershaft 3rd, and 6th gears. Everything else looked like new inside. Shifts like butter now.

1994 VFR bought with 125K miles. Now at 130K miles. No smoke, leaks, or bearing noises. Shifts like butter. Runs like a scalded dog.

Don't think these are 1200s, I only tracking the 1200s.

thanks!

I also have the torn seat cover on the front left corner where it meets the tank. That happened in August 2014 at about 18,000 km on my 2010 VFR, which I bought new in March 2011. I figured that as it was well out of its one year warranty that I would have to pay for a new (or aftermarket) seat. Maybe I'll see if a local dealer can replace it under warranty. Doesn't hurt to ask.

• Member Contributer

I also have the torn seat cover on the front left corner where it meets the tank. That happened in August 2014 at about 18,000 km on my 2010 VFR, which I bought new in March 2011. I figured that as it was well out of its one year warranty that I would have to pay for a new (or aftermarket) seat. Maybe I'll see if a local dealer can replace it under warranty. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I would have them talk to the Honda rep and let him know that this is an ongoing problem. Mine was replaced twice under their good faith money. The dealer can explain that to you.

Anyway good luck and let me know if you need my dealer info.

• 2 weeks later...

2010 VFR1200 DCT Purchased 5-28-2010

Current Mileage 160,050 Kilometers or 100,000 miles

post-20375-0-49670600-1427017455.jpg

post-20375-0-64354900-1427017477.jpg

1.Major failure: U joint snapped in the middle of trip at 94,000KM. I abused it somewhat with hard launching off line and hard acceleration. $2,000 for replacement.

2.Spark plugs changed at 94,000KM, Denso (factory plugs) looked good, changed to NGK. Will probably change them out at 200,000KM.

3. Changed air filter once at 94,000 KM, usually just used compress air to clean and put back into use service after inspection of the condition of the filter. Check filter every 6 months.

4. Checked valves at 94,000KM Exhaust valves adjusted. Next check at 200K.

5. Brake pad changed 5 times, Honda pads.

6. Oil every 7,000-7,500KM Use Korean motorcycle brand Called SK motorcycle oil 10w-40 cost $3.50 liter compared to Mobil ONE $28 a liter. both oil JASO Ma approved.

7. Shaft oil every 15,000KM use Mobil 75-90 or GS 75w-85, GS is a Korea brand is part of LG TV company.

8. Left brake rotor warped twice (side with abs ring) warped badly at 80,000KM & 103,000KM, probably due to stuck piston or dirty bobbin/button.

9. Changed seat to Corbin, it seems the foam was too thin from Honda seat or it wore out over time. Corbin made a big difference in comfort.

10. Changed coolant twice, Prestone 50/50 premix.

It's been a great bike, other than the U-joint failure and warped rotors which I take responsibility for.

Updating my data.

km 83922 - changed spark plugs with original ones (NGK IMR9E-9HES)

The old spark plugs were in good condition, I think that 100k km can be made without problems.

Actually by bike has 85384 km.

For Dae:

You have adjusted the exhaust valves at 94k km: the gap was bigger or lower than the required one?

I'm not mechanically competent enough to do valve adjustment, local Honda dealer here in Korea performed the service. Basic maintenance I do myself.

ilprofessore My original spark plugs were Denso, I guess Honda uses both NGK & Denso from factory.

Both Denso and NGK hq's are separated only by 32km's. Honda is 100km to the east. In exact the same place, Hammamatsu you will find Suzuki as well.

35km's east from Honda you will find Yamaha Motor Company.

Only Kawasaki is 250km's apart - west.

Small land, vast industry. Everything on hand.

satariel666

I guess you don't like to do chain adjustment, from the motorcycle you own. I do really love the low maintenance of shaft driven machines.

I love drive shafts - however my vmx1200 is converted to belt drive using the vfr 800 swingarm...not finished sadly.

Going to sell the vmx1700 - very unpractical motorcycle since I bought the vfr 1200.

Chains are dirty, expensive, noisy and requires a lot of maintenance. They come with a very good efficiency and easy to change ratios tho.

Also, when they snap and they tend to snap, you will end with a fewer pats and in extreme cases with a fewer limbs :D

Archived