Thurn Motorsports Led Mirrors And "de Dumbo" Block Off Plates

deltaboxii

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

I was wondering with the vast experience :goofy: that the group has with aftermarket products, does anyone have any first hand experience with the quality of the Thurn products?

After buying another 5th gen, I would like to de-dumbo the bodywork. Thurn offers some plastic block off plates for $45 USD and some in carbon fiber (also pictured) for a whole lot of money.

Thurn also offers some LED mirrors for about $170 / pair USD. So I am just wondering if these are any better than trying to convert a set of Suzuki GSXR mirrors?

Has anyone used any of these products? Before I spent a ton of money on these products and then the shipping cost, I figured someone has to have already checked these out!

thanks for the feedback!

Erik

post-24302-0-97895400-1415130617.jpg

post-24302-0-30334200-1415130627.jpg

post-24302-0-97655300-1415130656.jpg

post-24302-0-16336000-1415130886.jpg

• Member Contributer

:lurk:I'm wondering how much trouble it is to wire up mirrors with indicators built in. Seems they'd be more visible for increased safety.

Can't comment on those items specifically, but my GF has some front turn signals by Thurn on her 5th gen. They are the tinted variety which looks good on the yellow bodywork. I was a little disappointed in the quality for the price. They aren't bad, but for $95, I expected a little better. I think stock ones are only about $60 for the pair. The backs of the Thurns seemed a little thinner than OEM and they didn't have the indexing tabs for the brackets that attach to the back. Minor things, but like I said for the price I was thinking they would be OEM quality or better.

• Member Contributer

JMO but those Dumbo blocks look good from the front, and like crap from the sides. Maybe if the gaps were filled in and painted to match they'd look better, but as it is, meh.

I have a Harris hugger that I ordered from Thurn many years ago and another little item a year or so ago, and I'm happy with their service and products.

• Member Contributer

JMO but those Dumbo blocks look good from the front, and like crap from the sides. Maybe if the gaps were filled in and painted to match they'd look better, but as it is, meh.

I have a Harris hugger that I ordered from Thurn many years ago and another little item a year or so ago, and I'm happy with their service and products.

I agree that the black does not look right. if you are going to go through the trouble, paint them to match at least! I would possibly also install some flush mount turn signals in there as well. Nothing as large as the stockers, but not sure I would want to rely on the mirror turn signals alone.

• Member Contributer

I'll be looking to do something like this when I snag another 5th gen,hopefully soon,I was thinking of the gsxr mirrors though.

As much as I hate the idea of putting Suzuki parts on my bike, the genuine Suzuki mirrors on CornerCarver's bike are head and shoulders above the knockoff versions on mine! Definitely quality parts.

• Member Contributer

That looks pretty decent. Did you cut up the rear cowl for your pieces? I may have to check into this mod a bit more, since the OEM signals are really bulky and kind of spoil the lines of the bike.

Did you replace the signals with mirror signals?

• Member Contributer

Trace used a rear cowl. I had mine filled and repainted. Looking at it you don't even miss them, it looks like it was designed that way. GSXR mirrors are the way to go, but it takes a bit if modding.

Yeah, I'd say it was pretty obvious from the photos that I murdered a seat cowl in the process. :laugh:

I just sent a detailed "how to" to deltabox....he's free to post it here if he wants to, plus include his own experience once he's done.

No signals. I never signal on a motorcycle. I don't want cars to do my "thinking" for me and assume I'm turning. There's no earthly reason to let a car ahead of you (regardless of their direction of travel) know that you're changing directions. Your job is to not let a car hit you, period.

The rears work just fine so I can let riders behind me know of an upcoming turn, or to let an encroaching car that might be close behind me know that I'll be slowing. Other than that, I never touch the signals. Plus, I'll probably forget to turn it off and look like the dork who forgot to turn off his signal. :491:

• Member Contributer

I see, but Missouri requires signals. If the bike came from the factory with signals, then it has to have them to pass the stupid state inspection.

Well yeah, I guess if there's an annual inspection, there's a problem with de-Dumboing. I'm not at all adverse to having mirror-mounted signals and maybe small running lights there, too. That's the best place for them for sure. I just wouldn't actually use them. :happy:

Regarding my de-Dumboing by using a seat cowl: That was necessary because it has been proven here time and time again that matching the 2000's yellow paint is simply impossible. Longtime members might remember Teleskier blocking his Dumbo holes with proper bodywork and enlisting a bodyshop to repaint the fairing using Honda paint. Didn't work, after many tries at getting a match. The difference between the front and side fairings was huge. HUGE. I forget if he ended up painting the whole bike/gas tank to get it right, and then procure decals, etc. Pain in the ass. Anyway, there's no matching the Y2K yellow....

Archived