Great Cornering Light Idea!

E-Ticket

Nice, but they don't come on until the bike is leaned in to the turn. I wanna see the corner before I tip in. Approaching tight corners, you can have your head turned 90 degrees to the direction the bike is going...that's where you want the light. Helmet-mounted light, a la mountain-biking, is the only way to go.

Nice, but they don't come on until the bike is leaned in to the turn. I wanna see the corner before I tip in. Approaching tight corners, you can have your head turned 90 degrees to the direction the bike is going...that's where you want the light. Helmet-mounted light, a la mountain-biking, is the only way to go.

Nice idea ... but I don't want to be blinding every car I look at.

Well, don't look at them! LOL. Target fixation and all that. :-)

Seriously though, I had thought to wire it in to high beam, so it dips from the main switch.

I had fog lamps mounted on my Honda Hawk years ago, just above the radiator, just like on those KTMs, and their wide beams pretty much work like cornering lights, Only difference, I guess is mine were always both on when I throw the switch.......

This cornering light "technology" isn't so special really, just need to figure out the bank sensor part of it (maybe some sort of mercury switch?) and you can have what these KTMs have.on your bike.

• Member Contributer

This cornering light "technology" isn't so special really, just need to figure out the bank sensor part of it (maybe some sort of mercury switch?) and you can have what these KTMs have.on your bike.

I was going to say the same thing. I wonder if the KTM has one switch with three outputs or if they have three switches set at different positions to trigger at the three lean angles?

Bank sensors??....Gyros??.....Mehhhh!... A mercury switch(es) can be a better K.I.S.S. answer to this "problem"..... :rolleyes:

And one can even put in an override to turn on both lights if wanted for foggy days and nights...

• Member Contributer

Not that I'm paranoid, but I'd much rather not have mercury around something that has a good chance of getting broken. I prefer to get my mercury poisoning from fish thank you.

• Member Contributer

Chances of it breaking and ending up elsewhere on the bike, or my gear, or my skin, aren't that far fetched though. Or hitting something hot, like the exhaust or engine, and giving off vapors. There's no advantage to mercury. Electronics are cheap as dirt now.

• Member Contributer

Eat more carrots, that's the cheapest, most ecologically sound, and health conscious approach to better night vision....and it helps no matter what your riding, or if forced to...drive. Yeah said it, drive.

Chances of it breaking and ending up elsewhere on the bike, or my gear, or my skin, aren't that far fetched though. Or hitting something hot, like the exhaust or engine, and giving off vapors. There's no advantage to mercury. Electronics are cheap as dirt now.

Believe me, the fiery explosion from gasoline in your tank spilling out will kill you first anyway. before that ever happens.....if that's how hard you will be crashing.....

It's not like you will be mounting the mercury switches at the tips of your brake levers and it's not that hard to put them into small electronics hobbyist casing and mount them under the seat or frame to protect them.............

Yes, electronics,,,,, they always work, do they......

• 3 weeks later...

Eat more carrots, that's the cheapest, most ecologically sound, and health conscious approach to better night vision....

ROFL! Wartime propaganda by the British to disguise their new invention (radar), and encourage the Germans to waste effort chasing a resource they didn't have (carrots).

Archived