Rovari

• Member Contributer

On the GTA forum here, there were several painters offering 1 colour + clear for under 1k.

As additional advice on installing the aftermarket product, connect everything up a loose as possible before tightening everything down. There is a certain about of "give" at the various mounting points. Also, their are various bendable brackets which the fairing mount to so keep that in mind as well. Because it was at a perfect right-angle from the factory doesn't mean it necessarily needs to continue to be.

I think I read somewhere that putting the fairings in the sun to warm them before installing them helps them become more pliable. That might help with fitting them and minimizing unsightly gaps.

Thank you for the tips gents. It's gonna be a long 4-6 weeks...but likely just in time for some riding!!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

SUCCESS!!! I was able to cancel the order for the fairings. I will get to work on getting the original body work cleaned up and repaired...Will spend the money on painting the originals. Thanks to all for your feedback.

• Member Contributer

There are a couple of pieces of 5th parts on Kijiji right now. I recall that one of the fairings was a little rough. If it is the right fairing have a look at the link.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-parts-accessories/hamilton/vfr-800-right-side-fairing-and-upper-fairing/1055996611?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

• Member Contributer

Are you going back red? I'm planning on changing colors when I paint. Maybe a nice blue or white.

RD

• Member Contributer

There are a couple of pieces of 5th parts on Kijiji right now. I recall that one of the fairings was a little rough. If it is the right fairing have a look at the link.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-parts-accessories/hamilton/vfr-800-right-side-fairing-and-upper-fairing/1055996611?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Thank you sir...Just left the seller a message to confirm they are OEM..good catch!!

• Member Contributer

Are you going back red? I'm planning on changing colors when I paint. Maybe a nice blue or white.

RD

Hey SCguy, the initial focus with this project was to bring it back to original OEM condition so going red is where I'm at...most of my body work just need spot repairs paint touch up and a new clear coat. If I was to change I think white with some accents in charcoal or silver would look nice....are you planning on painting yourself?

• Member Contributer

I'm not much of a painter, unfortunately. I've got some friends in the auto body business, so I'll likely just pull the parts and let them have at it.

• Member Contributer

My '99 is rapidly going pink in places, and I've apparently rubbed through the clear on the left side judging by the red paint on my Aerostich pant leg.

So planning on a repaint sometime this year, I like the red but the '93 and '14 white is very tempting. I'll probably source the job out to a pro when I get there.

• Member Contributer

Well I got the tank wet sanded last night...although I am a little nervous about putting the decals on and clear coating. I went out and bought a two part professional clear coat so I got the right stuff...wish me luck

post-31404-0-34806600-1426853559.jpg

post-31404-0-31372400-1426853569.jpg

post-31404-0-82547800-1426853577.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow on the paint! And you thought an assembly line worker in China would put more effort into their work than you have. Oh ye of little faith!

• Member Contributer

I wish you luck

Thank you Dutchy

Paint looks good. Bonne chance!

Thank you vfrcapn

Wow on the paint! And you thought an assembly line worker in China would put more effort into their work than you have. Oh ye of little faith!

Thanks B4V4...lazy moment has since passed and work continues...

• Member Contributer

Paint looks great on that tank, but did you forget to put the stickers on before you lacquered it ?

• Member Contributer

So is that pic just a rinsed pic after wet sand or did you clear it yourself? Either way looks very nice. But yes if you cleared it already the factory graphics were underneath the clear.

If so you could always just go with something like the 7th gen round wing emblems. They look great imo.

Awesome project

• Member Contributer

I understood from his post that was the final shot before stickers and clear coat. If I could paint like that....

• Member Contributer

Paint looks great on that tank, but did you forget to put the stickers on before you lacquered it ?

Thanks Mohawk, nope this is just wet from sanding..

So is that pic just a rinsed pic after wet sand or did you clear it yourself? Either way looks very nice. But yes if you cleared it already the factory graphics were underneath the clear.

If so you could always just go with something like the 7th gen round wing emblems. They look great imo.

Awesome project

Thanks paladinreed, this is just wet and no clear yet..good suggestion on the 7th gen emblems

I understood from his post that was the final shot before stickers and clear coat. If I could paint like that....

you are correct vfrcapn...and you can paint like this...prep work is 99% of the final result...

Unfortunately after the pics above I found 2 spots where I had sanded just a bit too much...I ran out of grey primer and used red oxide primer not thinking that it would darken the red in those touch up areas. Needless to say the entire tank had to be primed again...grrr :angry:

The shop where I had the red paint mixed up was not available to mix more so I went to another paint supplier and I am now going the none aerosol route..I hope the red they mixed will look as nice as the first batch.

Also, after a lot of research it seems that decals should go on after the first coat of clear so they can bond better and the clear seals the paint from possibly bubbling under the decals...The tank has been re-primed and baking over night...I will try the new red after a good wet sanding...again lol...appreciate all the comments :beer:

post-31404-0-79985400-1427019878.jpg

post-31404-0-35180900-1427019904.jpg

post-31404-0-58980200-1427020137.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Picked the bike up out of storage today - I know a little ahead of reality but just couldn't resist.

Get going man !

• Member Contributer

Picked the bike up out of storage today - I know a little ahead of reality but just couldn't resist.

Get going man !

I'm going!!....covered in paint right now...will update tonight or tomorrow..primimg gas tank and fairings today...painting tomorrow... :beer:

• Member Contributer

It has been a busy 2 weeks...

Unfortunately the new primer I used on the tank reacted with the base coat and the tank had to be completely stripped to metal.

Started on the body panels and made repairs with "Plastifix". I have to say, I really like this stuff. Comes in a powder form and reacts with a solvent which allows it to bond directly to the ABS. (some good vids on You Tube explaining how it works) I used a dremel to create a cavity where I had cracks and filled them with the Plastifix (both inside and out) super strong now and easy to sand.

The new paint that I purchased needed a white base coat so I used a white primer and wet sanded all with 800 grit. Had to apply a self etching primer to the gas tank on any bare metal before priming. Had to McGyver a makeshift paint booth in my garage to apply the base and clear coats..

I put on two base coats then installed the decals on the gas tank. Then applied 2 clear coats, overall I am very happy with the result. A couple of very minimal spots need a quick polishing. Not only can I see the light at the end of the tunnel...now I can see the end of the tunnel. :cheerleader:

Lot's of pics attached...enjoy... :beer:

post-31404-0-57862700-1428444104.jpg

post-31404-0-44751500-1428444119.jpg

post-31404-0-17010300-1428444131.jpg

post-31404-0-01638100-1428444631.jpg

post-31404-0-39348200-1428444641.jpg

post-31404-0-33245600-1428444658.jpg

post-31404-0-80913600-1428444675.jpg

post-31404-0-34490500-1428444713.jpg

post-31404-0-07091800-1428444741.jpg

post-31404-0-04471500-1428445166.jpg

post-31404-0-81696600-1428445189.jpg

post-31404-0-65034900-1428445741.jpg

post-31404-0-12156000-1428445778.jpg

post-31404-0-26533900-1428445810.jpg

post-31404-0-80895700-1428445820.jpg

• Member Contributer

VERY NICELY DONE. That looks amazing for a do-it-yourself paint job. If I could offer up a small suggestion. A few extra coats of clear would come in handy should you ever have to polish a scuff out of the tank. Keep up the good work

• Member Contributer

Yeah wow. Nice job there, my plastics need almost an equal amount of repairs after so many miles and years, makes me think they can be saved.

• Member Contributer

Bike looks fantastic!

Make sure you then have the wing point in the right direction.....

Paging apexandy!!! :goofy:

I'm never gonna live that one down…

• Member Contributer

VERY NICELY DONE. That looks amazing for a do-it-yourself paint job. If I could offer up a small suggestion. A few extra coats of clear would come in handy should you ever have to polish a scuff out of the tank. Keep up the good work

Thank you zoomzoom, the paint booth has been taken down and that clear coat is some nasty stinky stuff. I used a quart applying the two coats but do agree that more is better. Maybe I can take the tank somewhere local for a couple of extra coats. Appreciate the suggestion.

Yeah wow. Nice job there, my plastics need almost an equal amount of repairs after so many miles and years, makes me think they can be saved.

Thanks vfrcapn, although it was allot of work it was worth the effort to keep the OEM panels....your plastics can be saved.

Bike looks fantastic!

Make sure you then have the wing point in the right direction.....

Paging apexandy!!! :goofy:

I'm never gonna live that one down…

Thanks apexandy..

Archived