Rovari

• Member Contributer

Thanks Kev, I got the new clutch slave installed, no more leaks and the magic of leverage has engaged the clutch.

I have to confess...after looking a second time at the old clutch slave I realized the new seal was installed backwards and that's why it was leaking... I feel like a total nit twit...dohh!!! So, if anyone needs a clutch slave...I have one :comp13:

The clutch is quite tight..is there any way to adjust it?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Thanks Switchblade, can you explain what the benefit is to block off? I've seen so many do it but have been hesitant to do mine.

• Member Contributer

The only benefit is when they clog and they will eventually, is you want have worry about it.

Both 6th gens i have owned start making a popping sound at idle.

• Member Contributer

The only benefit is when they clog and they will eventually, is you want have worry about it.

Both 6th gens i have owned start making a popping sound at idle.

Thanks for the quick reply and comments Switchblade. I am considering to do some mods next winter, I will add this to the growing list... :beer:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

AHHH...Spring is in the air..

Good day all, finally the snow is melting and the pot holes are being filled. Another 4-6 weeks and another VFR will be hitting the pavement.

Been busy with a few things. Removed the water pump cleaned it up and replaced the o-ring, removed the crank cover sanded some scratches out and applied a fresh coat of paint. The clutch and gears were very clean..and yes SEBSPEED I did consider a new crank cover with a window but will wait until I get into my modding phase. Replaced the coolant bottle because it was discoloured, spent some time polishing the exhaust pipe...and finally I have started on the body work with the gas tank being first. I can't believe how some people can be so careless, the tank has all kinds of dings and chips..

I added a bunch of pics as \i know everyone likes pics...happy VFR-ing

some additional pics

post-31404-0-28461400-1426333124.jpg

post-31404-0-92742900-1426333145.jpg

post-31404-0-14865700-1426333163.jpg

post-31404-0-90331200-1426333192.jpg

post-31404-0-41655800-1426333212.jpg

post-31404-0-41035200-1426333233.jpg

post-31404-0-59414900-1426333405.jpg

post-31404-0-13682900-1426333422.jpg

post-31404-0-15878100-1426333436.jpg

post-31404-0-68966900-1426333450.jpg

post-31404-0-40426600-1426333467.jpg

post-31404-0-21327600-1426333485.jpg

post-31404-0-47504200-1426333500.jpg

• Member Contributer

Good morning,

I got the base coat on the tank but have a question.

Before I put the clear on can someone confirm if the tank decals are applied before the clear coat? I want to do the same as stock.

A close up picture of the tank emblem would also be very helpful... :cool:

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

post-31404-0-64503500-1426506773.jpg

post-31404-0-82462000-1426506785.jpg

post-31404-0-00287900-1426506799.jpg

• Member Contributer

On the 4th gen, decals are under the clear coat.

All the part looks shiny and new!

• Member Contributer

Make sure you then have the wing point in the right direction.....

Paging apexandy!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

On the 4th gen, decals are under the clear coat.

All the part looks shiny and new!

Thank you Dutchy, I figured that it was..thank you for confirming.

I know for a fact that mine were under the clearcoat, but I no longer own them so I can't get you a picture. I bet the newer Honda emblem would look good on there too.

2015_honda_vfr800f_sport_blanc-perle_032

Thank you marriedman. Good suggestion on the new style logo... :beer:

Make sure you then have the wing point in the right direction.....

Paging apexandy!!! :goofy:

lol, so no beer before application?

• Member Contributer

Well..the internet can be your friend and your enemy. Lot's of information but sometimes too much. The tried, tested and true way to get the right answers is to talk to a professional!

I planned on clear coating my tank with rattle can clear. When I spoke to a professional and mentioned that he cringed...needless to say he will be clear coating my tank. After all the work I put into my tank and not really having a proper booth set up I decided to buy fairings from China...$569.00 CAD on fleabay. Rather than sanding painting and clear coating I figured the cost will almost be equal..(without breathing fumes and painting one of my sheds with red over spray) I will post some pics when I receive them and hope I didn't waste my money.

• Member Contributer

NOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me say from personal experience they are a complete waste of $. Certainly after all the work you've done, the bike won't be worth squat!

Sorry :unsure2:

• Member Contributer

NOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me say from personal experience they are a complete waste of $. Certainly after all the work you've done, the bike won't be worth squat!

Sorry :unsure2:

Well, it's a little too late now. I did commit to purchase. I still have the original pieces. I will slowly work on the OEM panels and can install the after market ones until the OEM panels are ready...

I did see a lot of positive feedback from buyers of these fairings...fingers crossed. :comp13:

• Member Contributer

The key differentiation in Chinese fairings seem to be the question if they are injection molded or compression molded. The former being the good better one!

Here the ones from a Dutch VFR owner, injection molds

205pcnr.jpg

The bolt holes on the inside broke off easily so he had to be a little creative

24gr2px.jpg

Fit not perfect

sfv09h.jpg

9u6l4p.jpg

25kjvxl.jpg

Seller was "Heyman Speedmotor"

You gotta give them credit for choosing a German sounding name....

• Member Contributer

I am going to try to cancel the order on ebay..thanks for the pics dutchy. I will not put up with this type of quality..if I cannot cancel and the fairings are anything like these I will return for refund.

• Member Contributer

Sorry I didn't see the post sooner!

I have experience with 2 sets of aftermarkets. Although significantly better than the pics supplied, the general quality of material, bracket strength and alignment were all an issue. Paint quality was excellent, but where stripes had to line up with the tank - not even close. As a result of my two experiences, I will NEVER go back.

On the bright side, if you cannot get a pre-refund, this will buy you time to "do-it right". You should be able to get 50% back when you sell them. There's bound to be someone looking for some track fairings.

BTW, thought I'd add. I've rattle-canned a couple of tanks in my day - primer, base coat + clear. I cannot say that I was disappointed with the result. The key is prep (which by your standards was probably sub-par!), wet sanding between every couple of coats & progressive buffing compounds to finish off the job. Looked like glass in the end but my eye is not overly picky as were 80's bikes. Also, not to assume anything, you need to use acrylic enamel to be protected from gas spills.

• Member Contributer

What would be a good price to paint an OEM set of fairings, assuming there were only a few small repairs, single color & basic decals?

• Member Contributer

Sorry I didn't see the post sooner!

I have experience with 2 sets of aftermarkets. Although significantly better than the pics supplied, the general quality of material, bracket strength and alignment were all an issue. Paint quality was excellent, but where stripes had to line up with the tank - not even close. As a result of my two experiences, I will NEVER go back.

On the bright side, if you cannot get a pre-refund, this will buy you time to "do-it right". You should be able to get 50% back when you sell them. There's bound to be someone looking for some track fairings.

BTW, thought I'd add. I've rattle-canned a couple of tanks in my day - primer, base coat + clear. I cannot say that I was disappointed with the result. The key is prep (which by your standards was probably sub-par!), wet sanding between every couple of coats & progressive buffing compounds to finish off the job. Looked like glass in the end but my eye is not overly picky as were 80's bikes. Also, not to assume anything, you need to use acrylic enamel to be protected from gas spills.

Thanks again B4V4.

I am extremely picky and have prepped the tank with several coats of primer and 4 coats of base..400 and 600 grit in between coats. I am confident the tank will look fine with some clear on it...I had a lazy moment Sunday when I ordered the fairings thinking I could avoid the hours of prep needed to get the panels ready....I am old enough to know that the easy way is often not the better way.

After several emails back and forth Neverland has agreed to refund me if the fairings do not fit. I told them I would be sharing the results and posting a you tube video. I am preparing myself for a let down although there is a sliver of hope. I will continue working on the panels and McGyvering all the missing tabs, clips and repairing the cracks.

To vfrcapn question above...the lowest quote I received for paint was $1500.00 and the highest was $2500.00...

I think I read somewhere that putting the fairings in the sun to warm them before installing them helps them become more pliable. That might help with fitting them and minimizing unsightly gaps.

• Member Contributer

On the GTA forum here, there were several painters offering 1 colour + clear for under 1k.

As additional advice on installing the aftermarket product, connect everything up a loose as possible before tightening everything down. There is a certain about of "give" at the various mounting points. Also, their are various bendable brackets which the fairing mount to so keep that in mind as well. Because it was at a perfect right-angle from the factory doesn't mean it necessarily needs to continue to be.

Archived