Gps For The Vfr

rigger4343

Hey Everyone!

I need to get a new GPS to use in my car and on the VFR. I have been using a little Garmin Nuvi 205 that has decided not to work very well anymore and I think it is just time for a replacement. I have a good RAM mount that has worked well and I transfer it back and fourth from the car to the bike when needed.

It would be nice to have one of the motorcycle GPS units from Garmin but I am not going to spend that kind of money right now on one. A regular little GPS will have to do me. When ever I got in the rain in the past, a plastic bag and a rubber band is what made my old one water resistant.

I saw these TFT Touchscreen Motorcycle GPS units on Ebay for around $150. They are suppose to be water resistant and come with mounts to use on the bike and in the car. Anybody know anything about these? Could not find much info on them.

Or I may just pick up a decent remanufactured Garmin off of Ebay and get Ram mounts to fit it and just use it like I have used my old one in the past. That seems like the cheapest way to go and have a good unit with good software.

Any thoughts guys?

• 3 weeks later...

No responses? I have a secondhand Garmin Zumo 550 that I've used for years. I bought it for $350 about five years ago. I bet you can find one on eBay. You could always use your iPhone/android device if you're trying to save money. If you do touring the real Garmin GPS units are the way to go.

• Member Contributer

If you are hellbent on getting a car GPS and not one that is glove friendly then go to Costco and get whatever the current Garmin $199 special is as it will have blue tooth capability and voice command along with lifetime traffic and lifetime map updates.

I would try to find an otterbox type waterproof housing for it though, the sandwich bag and rubber band are no measure of proper prophylactic.

• Member Contributer

JMO but pick up a used Nuvi 7xx for about $65. They have a locking power cable so you don't have a USB port that wears out, you can plan out routes on Basecamp on your computer and transfer them to your Nuvi. Some have Bluetooth, however none are waterproof, so you got some pluses and some minuses.

FWIW I've been using mine for about 5 years with no issues.

• Member Contributer

I bought a zumo 220 on eBay and am happy with it. It's a motorcycle GPS so it's waterproof and glove friendly with a hard wire USB power cable. It also came with the RAM cradle to mount to a RAM ball which I've got attached to my fuel tank bolts

It's taken me all over the US and Canada with no complaints. :)

tuva9ure.jpg

• Member Contributer

Or a Nuvi510 (same hardware as the Zumo220), bricked into believing it is a ZUMO220

Here put to good use in the USA

b95b5ec4.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a 4 inch Nuvi that I got for under a hundred dollars if I recall. Works with gloves on just fine. I like that it tells you your speed and it knows the speed limit on the road you are riding so if you are speeding the speed indicator turns red. Maybe they all do that now, but it's a nice feature.

I use the zumo 350 On my bike and in the car. Nice feature is the option to select what you are driving in/on.

In combination with the selection you choose your preferences.

Holder for car is pretty small but firm.

Grtz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I checked this post, nobody had responded to it so its been a while since I glanced at it.

I actually got my old one to start working a little again but it still needs to be replaced. I do have maps on my cell for a back up but I like using the Garmin a lot better. Plus I have no holder for my cell at the moment so its just not convenient to use for navigating. I will probably just pick up a cheaper/refurbished unit for now. I am trying to save a few bucks for a Sargent seat and I would rather spend the cash on the seat and not on an expensive GPS.

And my old Nuvi always worked well with gloves. Never had a problem with that part of it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just use my phone. The current crop of smartphones have plenty of good map apps.

This. I picked up a used waterproof Kyocera Hydro Edge for $20 off eBay and it has worked well.

I was going to suggest the same. An I-phone would work well and you can have the phone and GPS in view...best of both worlds.

Archived