Front Brake Clicking

Guest Leppla

the pad pins can get a layer of road funk and brake dust built up on them...i took some med sandpaper and some brake cleaner, put an allen key in the drill and sanded them clean ...wanted to replace them last brake job but they were back ordered

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Contact Pro-Bolt.co.uk and ask when they will have the titanium slider pins for the VFR1200 perhaps?

Ok Guys a bit of an update and help still needed..

I have removed front calipers. Cleaned all the pads, pins, clips and pistons. I used very fine sand paper on the pins and clips to clean them up.

Copper grease on the back of the pads, pins and bolts. All assembled correctly and torqued as per the workshop manual.

CLICKING NOISE IS STILL THERE :excl2:

What the hell is causing it? I was out for a spirited spin yesterday and I just don't have confidence in the bike like I used to, I would at least like to know definitively where it is coming, whatever about stopping it!

Symptoms again:

I wheel the bike backwards and apply the front brake to stop the bike and when I release the brake lever a clicking noise comes from the caliper area!!

Any help much appreciated

does the bike have to be moving backwards for it to click or does it do it once stopped....will it do it if you raise the front end and spin it backwards by hand?? one click, multiple clicks ?? can you post a video ?

does the bike have to be moving backwards for it to click or does it do it once stopped....will it do it if you raise the front end and spin it backwards by hand?? one click, multiple clicks ?? can you post a video ?

Yes it only happens when you are pulling the bars backwards i.e backing it out of the garage. It does not do it when going forwards.

One click as you are releasing the brake lever. I can let the suspension etc settle down for say 10sec while holding the brake lever and it will still click when I release it. Which leads me to believe it is not a headstock bearing etc.

It sounds like it could be the pads moving away from the disc,but they only move a fraction of an inch surly you would not hear them.

Could it be the disc bobbins on the floating disc?

I will try make a video tonight.

I am wondering if you have a bent or warp rotor.

no, unlikely. I'd say bobbins in the rotor which would be perfectly normal but vfr12 rotor are so darn tight and semi-floating, it is very unlikely. If this only occurs when spinning backwards, most likely something to do with your pads or pad springs. Something happens when pads grab the disk and go counterclockwise in the caliper, not clockwise. Raise your front, pinpoint which side is doing it (left or right), swap large pads from the left rotor to the right one, see if noise is still on that side. If it is, swap small pads from left to right. If still there, swap pad springs from left to right. Get the idea?

• Member Contributer

Yes it only happens when you are pulling the bars backwards i.e backing it out of the garage. It does not do it when going forwards.

One click as you are releasing the brake lever. I can let the suspension etc settle down for say 10sec while holding the brake lever and it will still click when I release it. Which leads me to believe it is not a headstock bearing etc.

It sounds like it could be the pads moving away from the disc,but they only move a fraction of an inch surly you would not hear them.

Could it be the disc bobbins on the floating disc?

I will try make a video tonight.

+1 video big help .

it sounds to me like the pads might be moving out of position when they grab the rotor moving backwards and maybe jamming against the pad springs...try getting the front wheel off of the ground and spinning it backwards by hand and watching as the pads grip and release

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Ok everyone its been a long time coming I know but here is a link to the video of the clicking noise. Its not the best video in the word but let me know what you think and I can make another video if needs be.http://youtu.be/bN85h5cPqAg

No work for me .

• Member Contributer

It sounds like to me the edge the pad is catching on the drill holes in the rotor.

Or the steering head bearing , if you jack it up and spin it by hand and stop it, does it make the same sound ?

i think what you are hearing is the pad springing against the anti vibe panels. Remember a brake is only supposed to operate in the forward direction. I think that if you watch the pad it will move slightly in the caliper maybe only a millimeter or two. It will probly be a normal noise that you will hear under those conditions...

• Member Contributer

post-23916-0-06136100-1410885840.jpg

i think what you are hearing is the pad springing against the anti vibe panels. Remember a brake is only supposed to operate in the forward direction. I think that if you watch the pad it will move slightly in the caliper maybe only a millimeter or two. It will probly be a normal noise that you will hear under those conditions...

He could be right, if look where the spring sits in that valley could be catching the spring in the reverse direction. When rolling backwards it could ride up on the top side of the valley and then when release the brake it "pops" back into into place. You need another person to push it while you watch the spring and see if it is.

• Member Contributer

post-23916-0-06136100-1410885840.jpg

He could be right, if look where the spring sits in that valley could be catching the spring in the reverse direction. When rolling backwards it could ride up on the top side of the valley and then when release the brake it "pops" back into into place. You need another person to push it while you watch the spring and see if it is.

And in this pic you have the stock pads and rotors ? Not the EBC pads and rotors.

• Member Contributer

that pic is of my bike so he could compare

10-4 Thanks but do you think the pad is forcing the retainer or tension spring to push up and hang in the little valley's ?

• Member Contributer

Its not the best video in the world

You are selling yourself short. That might actually be the best video in the world. Get another person and have one person initiate the clicking noise while the other person touches the calipers, ends of pads, etc... until you isolate it.

Archived