Front Brake Clicking

Guest Leppla

Video Added to Post 37 Thanks

Hi all,

I have recently had my front discs and pads replaced at the dealer. Since then I have noticed that when I am wheeling the bike backwards (out of the garage etc.) and I use the from brake to stop the bike , there is a clicking noise when I release the brake lever.

The noise is coming from down at the caliper as far as I can tell. It does not matter how long I hold the lever in for the clicking noise is still there when I release the lever.

This only happens when going backwards not forwards.

Can some people please check this with their own bikes and shed some light on this. As it is the front brakes I dont want to take any chances.

Thanks all. :cool:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

check brake pad retaining spring. There is a way to install it wrong. Lift the front of the bike and spin your front wheel while using your brakes. It should help you to figure this out

Thanks I will check it out once I figure how to lift the front wheel LOL. I may just strip both calipers and re-assemble them to be sure. Even though you would imagine I should not have to after sending it to a dealer to do!!

place a simple carjack under your headers

Under the headers where there is a bracket welding them together?? Will the bike balance?

Thanks for all the replies. I also feel I should go back to the dealers however I didnt want to go back just over a clicking noise that was annoying me it seems a bit trivial. However its the front brakes and its not filling me with much confidence.

I wouldn't go back to the dealer, at least not to the same one (they already screwed up what they could). But that's just MO.

Anyway, the spring I was talking about is #1 in the last pic above. Its bottom portion needs to rest on small raised section of the brake pad (not anywhere in the middle etc). Also check outer edges of your rotors. If this spring is installed incorrectly, it probably will rub off some paint on the edge of your rotors (in theory anyway). Take a look

• Member Contributer

Where people work

Mistakes are made

some people never make mistakes

Cos they never work.... :-)

Thanks for all the replies so far,

Last night I gave in and took of the two smaller clips in order to refit and be sure they were done correctly.

I noticed a grove right in the center of the bottom of the clip, the end that sits on the raised part of the two pads.

This grove is exactly where the disc would pass and looks the same width.

My question is: Should this grove be here to allow the disc to pass freely? Or is it caused by the disc hitting the clip?

If someone could check their own for me that would be great as if it is not meant to be there I will try to smooth it out to see if that resolves my problem.

attachicon.gifP1010130.JPG

In the picture above: The small clip is the top clip. The bottom of this clip is where it rests onto the raised part of the pads and it is in the middle of this that there is a groove.

My friend has a 2010 vfr1200 also and he kindly let me remove his clip yesterday to compare the two. His clip has no groove so it seems that the groove has formed on my clip from the disc rubbing off the clip and this is where I am getting the clicking noise from.

Looks ok to me BUT let some others chime in.

those pics are of my bike that i posted for Leppla to use for reference

As above that is not my bike, the groove I am talking about is on the inside of the clip anyways and from the outside appears normal. Here is a picture of my clip you can see the black groove in the middle.

Its not a great pic,

https://flic.kr/p/pfdB9g

i see you have it apart, have you put it back together, and does it still click ??? can you see the spring (clip) bounce when it clicks ???

If there is a contact with rotor, pads or clip isn't installed properly. Did you actually verified that there is a physical contact? (did you raise the front and spanned the wheel?). Make sure your small brake pads are installed the right way, they are the same left caliper to right caliper but they can not be flipped flopped from left to right on the same caliper (if that makes any sense).

If there is a contact with rotor, pads or clip isn't installed properly. Did you actually verified that there is a physical contact? (did you raise the front and spanned the wheel?). Make sure your small brake pads are installed the right way, they are the same left caliper to right caliper but they can not be flipped flopped from left to right on the same caliper (if that makes any sense).

Yes that makes sense as the raised part of the pad would be upsidedown.

I had the bike at the dealers yesterday and they also said the groove should not be there and that it is most likely due to the disc hitting the clip however there is enough clearance between them so they think this must be from some time in the past.

They do not think that this is causing the clicking noise. They think the noise is just the pads returning and passing some dirt etc on their way or by the bobbins on the floating disc??

Im a bit skeptical to be honest. I can see for sure that the clip is in correctly and that there is enough clearance for the disc to pass.

I will strip the hole caliper down and clean them up. I think I might also put a small bit of paint on the groove so that I can monitor it to see if it gets marked.

Archived